Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inherited this rifle and have no idea what it is. German eagle stamped on barrel and that's about it. No serial numbers on it at all. It does have FXO ct stamped.underneath barrel. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Nice rifle Jim. Looks like a sported 98. Any code or year of manufacture on the receiver ring on top? The FXO is the code of the barrel finisher which would be CG Haenel Waffen of Suhl. Nice the eagle/ swastika was not peened or defaced. Hope this helps. Let us know of any other markings and may be able to give more info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are no markings at all on the reciever or the bolt. The only other markings are byf stamped on the plate in front of the trigger gaurd.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
There are no markings at all on the reciever or the bolt. The only other markings are byf stamped on the plate in front of the trigger gaurd.
Yeah code and year of make probably scrubbed. BYF was the code for Mauser Oberndorf which made 98ks for the military. Whole gun possibly made by them or could be just the floor plate. Many 98s turned into hunting rifles cause of that good strong mauser action in the 50s and 60s. Unmolested 98ks going for big bucks often today if all matching.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
what you got there is a nice hunting rifle.
someone put quite some effort into it.
bottom metal and stock work all changed out.
the barrel looks to have been smoothed but not turned to straight.
8 mauser would be my guess I?

but with the bottom metal change it could have been re-chambered in 8mm-06.
super popular change after the war when 8mauser was not a round with any popularity or availability here.
[many 7.7 jap rifles also got a re-cut to 300 sav or 0-6 I have had both]

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
FXO stamp is for C.G. Haenel, Waffen- u. Fahrradfabrik, Suhl; whoever did the stock work did a nice job...lots of attention to detail..

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Someone took a great deal of time to work that stock from a military stock to a sporting rifle stock. You may still have a 8mm as it looks like original military barrel contour. Try a 8x57 round in it and see the fit. I have gauges so I can check but I am thinking you may have to get a gunsmith to check and make sure it has not been reworked. Looks like a carbine and not a full length Mauser rifle. Did you look very hard at the top of receiver where barrel threads in to see if it was scrubbed and faintly still visible marks? Also any small marks on back of safety? It has a bent and checkered bolt which narrows down the model a bit. Also the stamped floorplate and not the milled type. May be a Yugo Mauser Model 24 or 48. Really need to find some other marking to identify it. Also look hard on side of receiver between stock wood and bolt on the opposite side of bolt handle. Look for any faint markings or writing there also

1 - 10 of 10 Posts