Need some info

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Big Tool, May 7, 2008.

1. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

MS
    I just ran across this nice old remington woodsmaster 30-06. It looks to be in excellent condition, and has a leupold 3x9 "cheaper leupold" Riflemen i believe it's called.

Asking 300.00 pretty sure i can get it for 225-250.00 for the combo. Are these guns problem plagued. We have a few woodsmasters that have been very good guns. Not sure which models to stay clear of though. Thanks.

It's a purdy ol gun.

Attached Files:

2. turner

turner Guest

I'd say that if it's a 742 (or 7400) it's an excellent buy. The older 740s are more prone to function problems. Of course, if you can function fire it (I'd recommend 150gr loads) do so and you'll be sure. I'm thinking that might be a Vari-XI or VXI Leupold though, as I'm pretty sure ALL Rifleman series are matte finished and that one appears to be gloss. The Vari-XI or VXI would be a slightly better grade scope, due to lens coatings, than the Rifleman. Nice gun, good luck!

3. for that price I would jump on it. You can probably make a trade later if you are noy happy with the rifle. I had one in 308 and wish I had kept it.
    Mike

4. mym1a

mym1a Guest

I would go for it if the barrel rifling is in good shape

5. Big Tool hold on before you buy the rifle if it's a 742 model.

The 742 models were know to gall up a thin rail in the receiver.

You can see the rail by opening the bolt back and look at the oppitside and you'll see what I'm talking about.

If it's a little wavy or jagged then you might want to reconsider.

I've got a 742 . 30-06 new when I was 15 years I'm soon to be 54, that rail thats machined into the receiver is wavy from from hard use, where as it's suppose to be straight.

Remington changed the bolt lugs on the 7400 model to end that problem.

My gun still operates fine but I wanted you to be aware of that flaw.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  6. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

7. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

MS
    I went ahead and got it. Come to find out it was actually a leupold VXIII 3.5x10 mounted on it. So basically i bought the scope for cheap and got the gun for free.

I checked the reciever and the rails and everything looks fine. Thanks for the tip AH. Gun basically looks brand new.

The gun is in mint condition and the guy was the original owner said he had shot about 3 boxes through it over the entire time of ownership.

He said he didn't hunt anymore and was selling off the few guns he had.

Attached Files:

8. turner

turner Guest

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
    Congrats!! I'll give you a cool $100 bucks for that low grade Leupold!!