close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

need some knowledge from cmp garand owners

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by fullMetalJack, Apr 10, 2014.

1. fullMetalJack

fullMetalJack G&G Addict

I finally got into a gun club that offers cmp . Im going to my first match this sunday with my m4,pretty excited cause ive been on the clubs membership waiting list for almost two years. Now I plan on buying a garand thru cmp sales. Now the grades they offer for my budget are the RM1hras " service grade" harington and Richardson. I know nothing about how these come other than they are probably a little more dinged up, but may be more genuine(700$). The other option is RM1specialHRA 1000$ with a new barrel, stock,and may have some new parts. Now im not picky on the originality factor or anything I just want the best shooter and best condition to finally add to my collection. just wanted to see garand owners thoughts. Im just excited about getting a m1 that is in my price category. I cant pay 3000 bucks for one that ive rarely seen at a couple lgs.

2. jerry

jerry Patriotic Member Forum Contributor

USA
    I'm not an all inclusive CMP expert. I bought a Danish Rack grade for $350 when they still had them. Springfield with mixed parts and a stock that looks like a boat oar. I replaced the stock with a new GI CMP, so technically a $450 gun now. It has always functioned properly and I can shoot 3-4" groups at 100 yards. About as good as I'm going to get with any iron sight rifle. I would be proud to own a service grade or better just from judging how the Danish rack grade has worked out well. CMP does a great job of ensuring they are all mechanically sound and safe. They check throat erosion, head space, muzzle crown etc. As far as accuracy, with any gun you may get a pooch, a star, or a commoner. I wouldn't wait too long on making the decision. Back when I started thinking about it in the late 80's they were selling for 250 and plentiful.

jwrauch likes this.

3. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

The CMP has about 2 years worth of garands left. You will be VERY happy with a H&R service grade. Chances are you will get a rifle with a muzzle erosion of much less than 2 and may even get a new walnut stock. They grade the SG's at good to very good but they are more VG to excellent in metal finish. There is also a chance you will get USGI wood. The stock will not be as dinged up as you might imagine.

All in all if I were to buy a CMP garand through mail order I would go with the SG. You will be very happy! Great shooter at a great price!

jwrauch likes this.
  4. texnmidwest

The $3000 dollar garands are in no better shape than the regular garands they are just sniper versions that are not John C Garand match legal. The service grade specials are just a little better finish on the metal (splitting hairs) and have new wood.

If you want a perfect refinished rifle with new wood for a shooter in matches and don't care that much about any collector value, the CMP special grades made with new production barrels are a good buy as well. I have one in my racks and am pleased.

5. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I've gotten two, both service grades. A Springfield Armory and an H&R. Both of them pretty good and ready to shoot out of the box. I got mine when they were selling for $595-$625. The fact they were both sent in a hard plastic case wasn't too bad, either. Both of them had tags with muzzle erosions of 2. (5 being bad)

6. Fishhead

Fishhead G&G Enthusiast

Read the grade descripton on the CMP site and don't expect anything more. If you do that, the chances are very good you will be somewhere between pleasently surprised to blown away by what you get. The worst case is you will not be disapointed. Also, expect lots of cosmoline and caked on goo of many different flavors. Download the detail stripping instructions and take it apart as far as you are comfortable and get all the goo out.

Remember, most folks on the CMP site only post pictures of rifles they get that are on the high end of the grade range. There are a lot of rifles that meet grade criteria but don't have rare/original/NM/WWII parts or pieces that make them outstanding. Keep your expectations reasonable and you will be happy with any SG. Also, keep in mind these rifles are 60+ years old. Occationally, a bad, worn, or broken part slips past the armorers. It just happens. If it does, contact their customer service and they will make it right.

And finally, M1s are like potato chips. You can't have just one. Garanditis is real. Gandog may not remember it, but I warned him that M1s like to live in packs when he got his first. He poo-pooed me, but now it seems Mr. Fishy was right.

7. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

May not have just one, but Oy Vey they empty the wallet fast! I can usually buy 3-4 Mosin Nagants for the price of a single Garand.

Not that that stopped me from getting a couple.

8. texnmidwest

Ping! Mosins just don't say "Ping!"

GSFixit, jwrauch, Silver 83 and 2 others like this.
  9. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

MO
    CMP has a history of under-grading their Garands so the customer will get more than what they expect.
    Go ahead with your service grade purchase, you won't be disappointed.

jwrauch likes this.
  10. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

It don't mean a thing if it don't make a "ping"! :)

Silver 83 and jerry like this.
  11. Mosins to gandog56 are like methadone to a heroin addict and heroin being Garands.

jwrauch likes this.
  12. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

The whole point of the CMP was to help citizens acquire military surplus rifles "at cost." It is a used rifle, which means they should depreciate as far as the government's "costs" are concerned. I'm fascinated by how much the CMP jumps its Garands in price every year.
    The "Cost" of these rifles originally was between $31 and $75. Even if we take all the replacement parts and actually add them to the cost of the rifles, I find it hard to believe these would be $1000 guns.

Surely a Yugo SKS and a Long Branch Enfield combined "cost" more than a Garand to produce, but you can own both and a Mosin or two, and a Steyr, for the price of one Garand.

It seems like such a racket.

Way back in the distant year 2012 it was announced that thousands of Garands would be coming over from Korea through importers. What ever happened to that? I wouldn't mind a Korean Garand for $500 or less.

13. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    CMP's charter was never to supply anyone with rilfes at cost
    Their charter is to fund fund shooting sports with the emphasis on youth "through the sales" of firearms, ammunition etc. The revenue generated is what will keep their misson going for many years afetr the last Garand is sold. CMP is still the cheapest place to buy a Garand or surplus ammo
    A Service Grade is a very nice shooter rifle and well worth the $625

jwrauch likes this.
  14. Icorps 1970

Icorps 1970 G&G Newbie

I would strongly recommend the HRA Service Special. $975 delivered. Every one I have seen has been ALL HRA except the wood and the wood metal. The barrels are all as new for chamber and muzzle gauge 2 chamber and 1 +- muzzle. 2 is standard for late m1 chambers I am told and -1 to 1+ is "new" for the muzzle. They may need some tuning to clear the op-rod at the stock ferule but mine and my sons with JC Garand match legal tweeking of the stock ferrule (I bought an original type from Gun Parts Co to replace the reproduction on the CMP stock) will easily hold the 200 yard 10 ring of the Garand match target with good ammo and actually do pretty well with the 78 dated Greek ball one 200 yard group running right with my handloads. If these had HRA correct wood they would be very pricy M1s, at 975 delivered they are a steal. CMP is pretty conservative with the descriptions of the rifles they sell.

15. Icorps 1970

Icorps 1970 G&G Newbie

Sorry looked at the CMP sales site and the Service Special HRAs are gone. My Cousin must have got one of the last...

16. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The south store had a dozen or so out when I visited on May 2.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

17. FMJ you've ventured off in FMJ's territory. Congrats. What's taking ya so long? You'll love the Garand. You might even get the incurable garanditis. Recently I was going to get a CMP Garand but found a 1955 year production one at a gun show. Was able to get it down from $1400 to $1100. There were a few other Garands at the show. I have several, from serial numbers 58,000, 400,000 2mil, 5.8mil and commercial @ 7million. All function great, had to replace springs.
    You'll love the John C. Garand matches if you gun club has them. 58 rounds at 200 yards. You might get into "high power" and "service rifle" matches, from distances from 200, 300 and 600 yards.
    Let's hear a range report.
    Welcome to the club.
    FMJ ( the original )