Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
God, Guns, Glory
33,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some suggestions, for gun cleaning supplies.

I am wondering what folks think of kids/grandsons, & cleaning products.

Have a birthday coming up, for a grand son.
And wonder what folks consider SAFE, to give to a 12 y/o. (Oct15)
Have a gun cleaning kit, with out solvents.

Would you consider Birchwood Casey products safe?

Foaming gel bore cleaner. (never used this before)
Gun scrubber cleaner/degreaser

Or would you recommend, another product.

Thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
A 12 year old should have enough sense to be able to use solvents correctly without fear of him ingesting it or anything of that sort I would think.

·
Banned
2,594 Posts
Well it comes down to this I think.

Do you and his parents feel he is old enough to use solvents? That he knows not to ingest things he isn't suppose to.

@ the age of 12 you think they would know this. But there are some out there that will.

I think if he is responsible giving him good supplies including solvents will be fine. Just make sure to remind him to use them in a well ventilated area as he may or may not know this.

However if you don't feel he is old enough or wise enough to use them properly then I wouldn't get him that type of gift period until he is ready to use it properly.

If you want a nice cleaning kit and depending on if it is a Rifle or Pistol I'd go with an OTIS kit. I love mine for my pistol.

A nice cleaning rod made from Caebon Fiber or one from J. Dewey would be nice and a butt load of patches. Heck if he has old white T-shirts get him to bring them over to you and make patches with him. That is what I have done and use them on my Mosins and pistols.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Grizcty, i wouldn't get the Gun Scrubber foaming gel for the grandkid. It's great for really dirty guns but there aren't many cleanings in a can compared to liquid solvent.How about just a nice Tipton cleaning rod and a big bag of patches?

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
I would not be too worried about it personally. If it concerns all (depends on the child) then give him the kit and ask that you be with him when he uses the stuff to show him how to use them properly.

I was taught how to properly use gun cleaning stuff at a much younger age than 12. Sometimes we worry about too much and have to remember that..."Hey Grampa, can we clean guns?" is a great bonding experience and a lot of fun for both.

I say give him the kit!

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
A 12 year old should have enough sense to be able to use solvents correctly without fear of him ingesting it or anything of that sort I would think.

I gotta agree here! I don't even like using gun scrubber. Too easy to take the finish off the stock.

Gunzilla is a better choice. BUT, like I was saying...if ya need bore cleaner like that just help him use it!

·
Premium Member
23,721 Posts
I'd give him the kit, along with the appropriate cautions, and would be sure it was a shared experience with grandpa several times. Kids really don't need the ultra protectionism that has been heaped on them the last couple decades. They need responsibilities and good examples.

·
Registered
15,240 Posts
I started out with a can of 3n1 oil, an old Tshirt and some string.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
My Grandpa gave me my first cleaning kit and I still have parts of it. I still have very fond memories of sitting at the bench with him. He taught me how to correctly clean my 22/410 and to clean up and put my kit back in the same spot every time. I hope he can't see my cleaning bench now, LOL !!

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
If the twelve years old has his own gun I would think cleaning solvents would not be an issue.
Gun Scrubber or Gunzilla would be fine gifts, as would Hoppes or Birch Casey.

·
Registered
448 Posts
if he has a gun then why are you worring about him going to drink the solvents? if he has enough common since not to do anything stupid

·
God, Guns, Glory
33,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was kindly reminded this am..
That he is going on 13, not 12.:kabong:

I bought him a stainless Marlin model 60 last year.
Along with a Hoppes cleaning kit.
And he is happy as a bug in a rug.
According to his mother, wipes this rifle down almost daily.
He calls all the time, wanting to bring it out and shoot it.
While "hinting" he needs more of his own cleaning supplies.
His moron uncle, "borrowed" the # 9 solvent. (never returned it)
And also wanted to "Borrow" the rifle, with out asking.
But my daughter, would NOT let him.

Personally, I have never used this product before.
And first heard about it, in the chat room.
I was not sure how caustic, and or messy it is.

I figure a nice gun cleaning pad, wipes, solvents and a big bag of patches.
Along with a nice storage/carry box.

Hint, when he gets real good at cleaning guns.
I think I could keep him busy for a week!! LOL :laughing:
:lmao:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yeh alot of people seem to be underestimating today's youth. Most kids of 12 or 13 years of age are actually smarter than people were in the 60's and 70's at 18 years old. I was doing pre algebra and minor computer programming at 12 or 13. They may be immature but they are VERY intelligent. I dont think you have to worry about one "ingesting" the chemicals they are not 3.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts