close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need suggestions: 1st Hand gun

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by GSR98Civic, Aug 26, 2002.

1. GSR98Civic

GSR98Civic G&G Newbie

I'm about to head down to the courthouse to get my license to conceal a firearm. Sometime in the near future I will be purchasing the firearm.

I would like to get something small enough to strap to my ankle / something that will fit in my hand / and that is reliable.

My friend has a 9mm and a 45, both are tooooooooo big.
    Some guy was telling me about a mini-glock 9. Said it's got the power of a full-size 9mm, just smaller for around $700.

If it will cost me $700 to get a good gun with my wants than I'll pay it. I don't really want to pay any more than $700 though.

BTW >> I'm planning on getting a house next year and always said I would have a firearm before living on my own. I don't even know if I will carry it around with me, but I never know.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I am guy if that matters.

2. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I carry a Glock 27 in 40SW as a back up on my vest when off duty. I further carry it off duty as a concealed weapon. It's the perfect size and doesn't recoil too bad at all. My wife carries the same gin in 9mm and loves it. I can't say enough for Glock.

You can find one cheaper than $700 usually. Good shooting and let us know.

3. GSR98Civic

GSR98Civic G&G Newbie

4. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I would suggest a good .380, like an AMT Backup, or possibly a good derringer. The pistols you are talking about seem a bit large for concealment, especially an ankle holster, unles you are wearing a big jacket. Often it is difficult to get at an ankle holster, too. I would suggest a pocket holster or inside-the-waistband holster. If you want to conceal one of the larger handguns, you probably need a shoulder rig. Most can be concealed under a light vest.

5. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

The Sig is an excellent gun. Texas Highway Patrol carries them in .357sig. You will find, unless you are a large statured man, that they are large to conceal. You also have to remember to decock them/drop the hammer if you crank one off and then decide not to shoot another round. Nothing to be embarrassed about when it comes to Sig though.

6. Armorer

Armorer Guest

CZ 52! 7.62x25 little bullet BIG punch.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2002
  7. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Klaus is the man, many words of wisdom from him, i second the inside the pants holster, too inconvient when your in a hurry!!! good luck!!!

8. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Hey Armorer, don't mean to get ticked here, but you don't know if GSR98Civic is mentally sound or not. Thanks for sliding a quick little tip in there as to "how to kill a cop!" Hope I took your post wrong.....

9. Rock

Rock G&G Newbie

Armorer,7.62x25 will penatrate body armor? Are you sure?

10. Armorer

Armorer Guest

I say nutzing, I do nutzing, I know nutzing

11. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    If this is actually your first handgun I'd suggest a .22 revolver or auto. It's much easier to learn to shoot and cheaper also. then move up to the bigger stuff. My carry gun is a glock 32 in .357sig. Perfect function and serious power in a concealable size.

12. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Can't say enough for the Glocks! We have several officers carrying the Glock in .357sig.

13. I've got a Kahr K9, great little gun, fairly small but not light. Look at their P9 (polymer) it's lighter & I think they have P9 micro now which is even smaller. I agree with dave though, practice up 1st with a .22lr if one's available to you.

14. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

My wife has the Glock 26...I wish I had one...My Glock is the pre ban model 17...nowadays it lives in the safe with my other guns...I carry a 3 inch barreled Smith .357...
    If I didn't already have a sidearm I would be torn between the Glock model 32 (.357 Sig caliber) or a Kimber Classic Stainless.

15. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

My wife also carries a Glock 26. Hey Armorer, thank for editing your post a little. It sounds a little less agressive toward cops. I know that's not what you meant in the first place, and though I'm definitely biased, my first reaction was negative. Hope I didn't offend you as that was not my intention.....

16. The Sig P239 you mentioned is the same gun my wife carries concelled in her purse. It's too large for an ankle holster.

It might be ok for a small of the back holster, etc...but not for ankle. It's fairly light and highly, highly accurate.

The CZ52 (7.62X25) will penetrate most vests if it doesn't stike the trauma plate. It's one of the hottest rounds out there for it's caliber. I read once where the E. Germans developed the round when body armor was first coming into use by criminals. Not sure it that's true but it sounds logical.

17. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

A much simpler and cheaper solution would have been to issue surplus SKS carbines to the squads. I strongly suspect that the the CZ round, instead, derived from the .30 Mauser round.

18. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Glock !

:target: not a bad little round...85 grains at roughly 1400 feet per second...
    I would go with a Glock 26 (10 +1 shot 9mm) or 32 (10 +1 shot .357 Sig) :nod:

19. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

.357 Sig

:eek: that .357 Sig is hot stuff...125 grains at 1425 feet per second...plus you could buy another barrel (aftermarket I'm sure) in .40 S&W caliber...for that 2 guns in one feel :p