close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Needing some help with my M1

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by Chris61289, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Chris61289

Chris61289 G&G Addict

I would like to hear several opinions from you guys. I haven't been on here in quite sometime, but I have a CIA M1 Garand rifle and would like to hear what you guys would value this at. I realize they do not command a premium for sure, and lately I've been bit by the Mosin bug again after selling off my Finn M39, and 1931 & 1940 Tulas. I have a guy offering a trade for a MO double dated 91/30 in what looks like very great condition along with accessories and 1,000 rounds of x54R for my CIA M1, some Prvi .30-06, clips and a 1943 AFH M1905E1 bayonet.

Attached Files:

2. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Have you shot your M1 and how did it do? What did you pay for it and when? I would guess it should bring around $400 but that's only a gues. JR

3. Chris61289

Chris61289 G&G Addict

I have shot it, it shot really good when it had a B Square scope mount on it when I got it. I paid, $450 for it. Unfortunately I wanted it to look like an M1 so I ditched the scope mount and sold it, and haven't been able to figure out these sights. Which blows the big one because I know how to use peep sights, I've shot 1 and even sub MOA groups with my M1 carbine, but this Garand is giving me pains and seems like I blew through a lot of ammo just trying to even get rounds on paper at 50 and 100 yards. Its got a great SA barrel and crisp trigger pull, but the sights are bugging me to where I embarrass myself taking it out to the range.

I love the M1 because when you hold it, shoulder and fire it, it feels exactly how a rife should feel, just the accuracy from the sights is bugging me and why this guy's offer intrigued me. I've looked at hundreds of Mosins around me and never saw a MO double date, plus 1000 rounds to feed it and my other Mosins kinda makes it sweet.

I've been thinking about the trade or possibly outright selling it to put a PU on my fantastic 91/30 or a ZF39 on my mix master Kar98k

the only reason I'm considering this trade is because the Mosin bug bit me hard when I couldn't pass up an original matching M38 for my H&R Pardner Protector 12ga

4. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Well I got an MO double date Ill trade ya for the m1...I have a few hundred rounds to go with it..hows a trade sound?

5. Chris61289

Chris61289 G&G Addict

I'm thinking I might trade it and just save up some money for when tax season comes next year and go out and find me a nice service grade USGI M1

6. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

If is your rifle and your money to do with what you want. But, I would value your M1 at between 450 (to a gun show dealer) up to 650 to 750 for one with pretty stocks. If you want a regular 91/30 you should be able to get several for what your Garand is worth. Even Rack grade M1's are going for 450 and up. Demilled parade rifles go for 350 plus shipping. That import stamp doesn't devalue the rifle as much as some think.....it is still a good shooter that people will pay good money to own.

Just sayin'.

jwrauch and 870shooter1 like this.
  7. 870shooter1

870shooter1 G&G Evangelist

Tucson
    This is rifle country out here, a Garand goes for 700 and up, based on condition. With your accessories, 800-900.

I don't know the market where you are, but some information for thought.

In the end, your rifle, your decision.

Good luck.

8. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Is your Garand just import marked by CAI or is it a CAI commercial made receiver with a blank receiver heel. If with a commercial receiver to me its in the $450 range if it functions properly, many CAI Garands dont.
    As far as the problem you are having adjusting sights try this.
    Set up a target at 25yds, forget what the elevation knob is set at. Turn the elevation knob 8 clicks up fromthe bottom and fire at 25yds, this shouldget you on paper. Adjust to zero, then shoot at 100, if you are zeroed at 25 you will be on paper at 100yds. Continue to adjust zero one click at a time until zeroed at 100. Addtwo more clciks up and you will be on paper at 200.

9. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

I paid $150 for my MO M91/30 btw. So you should get considerably more than that for an M1.

870shooter1 and jwrauch like this.