NEF Poll

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 6string, Mar 19, 2002.

1. 6string

6string G&G Newbie

Ok what cal. NEF's do you all have. I have .22lr 12ga .243 and more to come.

2. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

.357 Max, .33WCF, .32-40 WCF, .45-70Gov, 20ga, .307 Win.

3. 10 Gauge, .30 WCF., 410 gauge. Going to get some more this summer. Probably something in a .22 centerfire. 6 STING how does that .22 longrifle shoot?

4. 6string

6string G&G Newbie

Ha Hooker. I'v always wanted to say that. Just kidding. My .22lr is the sporster model. It shoots shorts,longs,long rifle. I love it because I can shot cbshorts in the backyard and LR's at the range. It came with a syn, stock and a 20" barrel I put a 3x9x40 Tasco on it and I thought it shot great. Then one day I tryed to check groups on paper targets and found it shot about 1-1/2" at 100yds so I stared tinkering with it. I put the lam, wood stock off my .243 on it and cut the barrel to 16-1/4" did a target crown and trigger job. Now it shoots less than 1" groups at 100yds. Out of the box it was just fine but I can't leave anything alone. PS thats 6string as in guitar.

5. bolden

bolden G&G Newbie

I shoot a 45-70, 30-30, 22 Hornet and 12 guage. So far.

6. 6string

6string G&G Newbie

Bolden. What do you think off that .22 Hornet? I'v been thinking about getting that barrel.

7. bolden

bolden G&G Newbie

I like mine just fine; in fact I have 2 hornets, the NEF and a Savage 24V. The NEF has a 1 in 12" twist, which is faster than usual,and likes 50gr bullets. Actually so does the Savage(1 in 14 twist). To be truthful, I don't shoot varmints unless they're being varmints(I'm a market grower),
    so most of my shots are at 100 yds or less. A 50 gr
    Hornady spire point behind 11.0 gr of 4227 gives me around 2544 fps and 3/4" at 100 yd groups. I also use a squirrel load of the same bullet with 4.0 grs of Unique. It's originally a lead bullet load and don't really know the velocity except I estimate around 1500 fps, based on the lead load. Shoots into 1/2" or less at 100; deadly on them lettle tree rats. The Savage is set up as a turkey gun, and that gets the same spire point behind 11.5 gr of IMR4198 and around 2458 fps. There are a lot of guys at the NEF singleshot site who shoot the lighter bullets with, as far as I know, complete satisfaction; in fact there are a LOT of guys/girls who shoot the NEF Hornet, period. Biggest problem with that cartridge is case head separations, and I used to get a lot of those when I full length resized. The darned die has to be set just perfectly. Now that I partially neck size only, that problem's gone away.

8. 6 string, sorry about the miss-spelling of your name. I'm a one finger typer. Thanks for the info regarding the NEF in .22lr. Say you're a guitar picker? I used to play bluegrass in a band. played the mandolin. don't play too much anymore, all I have now is a old Yamaha 180. Still like that ol' high lonesome sound .

9. 6string

6string G&G Newbie

Pickin shootin bug wrench

Yep. Been playing for 32years now. Mostly electric guitars[rock,blues,jazz] but I love almost all music as long as it's done well. If I'm not tinkering with guns it's guitars or my VW colection. If you get a NEF in .22lr you will like it. It's nice to have a .22 that shoots shorts,longs and long rifle. I'v customized mine so much I'll have to get another one just to have a stock one. I wish thay offerd it in the serviver model with a 18" barrel. Well I'll just have to make that my next project. PS if you know a FFL holder check out this site. www.guwholesale.com Look at the price of the NEF's .22lr

Last edited: Mar 20, 2002
  10. Kees

Kees G&G Newbie

.30-06 & 12 ga. I also had a .30-30/20 ga which I bought in '82 and sold after I bought the '06. Never could get the thuty-thuty to group better than 6" at 100 yards...

11. elblerinnv

elblerinnv G&G Newbie

I am new to these forums. This is the first NEF/H&R forum I have found and I hope it is a great success.

12. elblerinnv

elblerinnv G&G Newbie

OK, I screwed that up. Sorry.
    Any way, I have a Sportster .22 LR, a 20 guage, and a Wesson and Harrington in .38-55. Haven't gotten to shoot the 38-55 yet, but the other two are a hoot
    Best wishes to all.

13. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Thanks elblerinnv, we added this forum on the request of one of our members. I can't believe I overlooked it at first but we've only been on this V-Bulletin software a week, otherwise on the old site we had no room. We hope to add new forums as time goes on to suit the needs of our members. I thank you for the complements and feel free to touch base with us about anything we can do to make your future visits even better. Bring your friends and we'll all talk firearms and hunting!

Jesse

14. 6string

6string G&G Newbie

Ha elblerinnv glad you found us. Thanks to Jesse and Chris thay took my advice and put a NEF/H&R section here for us. As soon as I get my pictures back and figure out how to post them, I'll show you my custom NEF's. Shaun does some cool stuff to his NEF's too. Check out his pic on the suggestions/feedback part of this forum.

Tim:cool:

15. Just picked up a H&R Ultra-Hunter in .25-06. Haven't had the chance to let 'er bang just yet, but I am really looking forward to it! I'm also thinking about a Handi-rifle in 45-70 or a Harrington in 38-55 for my CAS stuff.:D

16. elblerinnv

elblerinnv G&G Newbie

Thanks Jesse and 6String. Living as I do in the wilds of North Eastern Nevada, I don't see many of the NEF family of single shots, though occassionally Hornet's or .45-70's show up on the racks at our local gunshop. We do have a real, old time gun store that is not a part of a major discount store. Those seem to be getting pretty hard to find these days.
    Has anyone seen a NEF in .17 Rimfire Magnum yet? I have heard that they are, or will be, available.

17. ReRide

ReRide G&G Newbie

nebr
    wantinga nef .17hmr

i am ready and waiting for the arrivial of the nef .17 sportster.

as of yet to hear of their arrival.

i think there will be enough price difference between them and

the marlins to go with them besides i like the stock and finish

18. I have the old H&R in .30-30 and 20 ga., and in the NEF .30-06, .44 mag., 12 ga., .22 LR and .223 Remington. The NEF in .223 has a great trigger from the factory. About an even-steven three pounds. I also got a good trigger job done on the .30-06 when I ordered the .44 mag. and 12 ga. barrels. Next is a .22 Hornet, and .243, and another .20 ga. I read elsewhere that NEF is out of barrels, or is having problems with the new organizational structure since being bought-out by Marlin. Any news on that?

19. 6string

6string G&G Newbie

The best thing about the NEF Sproster Is you can get a .22lr,.22mag tapperd barrel for $50.00 and a .22mag,.17hmr heavy barrel for $61.50 [$61.50 is the price of the .22mag heavy barrel. I Hope the .17hmr is the same price.] Wal-Mart has the .22lr or .22mag for $105.95 NEF won't have any barrels tell the end of March or middle of April.

20. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Just have the 1 in 45/70 with a 4x scope....use it to hunt big bottles of soda at the rande...works pretty good....still spending too much $$ on other toys to get more but they will come.