Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I had posted before I got my Nephew into Mosins, when we picked up the rifle I told him lets break it down and clean it. It's a very interesting 44. First it is an Ex Sniper with plugged holes and since it's a Izzy the scope number is right there on the side. However the scope numbers have NOT been lined out. In fact they are quite intact. Also the gun came with the proper year stock a war time Izzy with an Izzy stamp inside. There is a small crack by the tang on the stock but nothing serious. Next there is no "diver flag" on the stock. This gun has a 3 digit serial number and all the numbers match and were painted in, even the floor plate. This was bought at my local Big5, so I can't imagine anyone coloring in the numbers. Next the barrel is not smooth but is turned and it has a noticeable step in it around the 3/4 way mark. There are marking all under the barrel as well. It's got a few issues one of which is the bolt is really hard to cock, after the spring is compressed it's way better. I cleaned the gun really well and bolt. I even took a loop off the spring which helped. It's almost like it's got the wrong spring.

The stock has a lot of "Character" but not a lot of cartoushes. So he's happy and I'm very curious why this rifle seems a little different than most 44's I've seen

Seeya
Mark

·
Premium Member
23,739 Posts
Sounds interesting Mark. Can you post some pictures of it? The 91/30 I bought a few months ago at Cabelas had some red wax/crayola embedded in all the numbers to make them more noticeable I'm sure. (sold me HA!)

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Doesn't sound like anything much out of the ordinary. 1944 war time production rifle. Maybe it was early 1944 or something. Rough machining is rather characteristic of war time rifles.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I have a 44 Izzy that was an original sniper with the scope number partially scrubbed off. It was turned back into a sniper with a original replacement scope. When I first got it the bolt was very hard to open if it was not already cocked. It did not look like it had ever seen any use after being rearsenalled. I polished up the bolt and checked the lugs in the reciever. They were clean but it was still tight. I lubed up the locking lug groves and worked the bolt back and forth alot and then it finally loosened up. Mabye when they were reblued it might have made the fit a bit snug? It still take a little extra push when closing the bolt when there is a round in the chamber. These rifles seem to have much tighter headspace than the standard 91/30. Mine also has a much smoother and lighter trigger. They definetely spent more time on these rifles than the standard rifles. Even the bolt shines after I polished it.

Michael

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
I am glad you spent the time with your nephew !!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He hasn't fired it yet, that's next weekend camera will be rolling.. That should be really fun. I think I might invest in a slip on kick pad for him too :)

Seeya
Mark

·
Registered
448 Posts
yeah those carbines are loud and have more of a kick than the 91 30
i myself am a fan of the long guns, they seem to fit me more(being 6'4'' 250Lbs)

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
I think I might invest in a slip on kick pad for him too :)
Mark
wether you buy a pad or not. at least make sure he's protected from the recoil with clothing or a folded towel till he get's used to it. if he gets "kicked" in the collarbone the first time, it'll ruin him for a long time. it's really hard not to flinch in the future after you've been bitten by a mosin. work on getting him used to the noise and kick first, then teach him how to get it in his shoulders "pocket" when he's used to it.
have fun!

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Aww, the recoil on the 91/30's aren't as bad as the carbines.

Wouldn't want him to shoot Bulgie heavy ball, though.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reminder, Yeah I don't want him not to like it. I think that a little pre range session is in order. His sort of a thin kid so I need to teach him proper stance. This ain't no .22 he's shooting! He has shot my 12 gauge so I think he'll be fine BUT that's still not like 15 rounds through a Mosin.
Seeya
Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts