Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
I was thinking about getting one for a house & range gun. But, I don't think I'd rack the slide unless I knew for sure that there was a bona fide threat inside the apartment. Hmm...a Dude with a bat just kicked in the door. I think I'll rack the slide now.
Really think you'll always have that luxury? "Hark, I heareth a noise - I must load my trusty pistol!"

Better plan - load it, charge it, engage the safety, put it in a safe accessible place and don't coonfinger it. Unloaded guns are merely awkward clubs.

I've owned and worked on quite a few Hi Points. I think that the guy isn't telling the whole story. My first question would be, what in the world are you doing cycling live ammo in ANY pistol that doesn't have all it's parts installed? And second off, there isn't any "sear pin" on a Hi point. There is a retainer roll pin. Two pins that hold the barrel on. One pin that goes through the top of the trigger. One pin that holds the extractor in the slide.

The only way that you are going to discharge a round pulling the slide back is if (1) you're missing parts, or (2) if the firing pin channel so SO dirty that the firing pin is basically "sludged" to the slide and it binds up when the slide is retracted, but still, it would take one heck of a "yank" to fire a primer.

Sounds more like a guy that needs some basic firearm maintenance classes to me. They sell Hoppes for a reason...

I just checked my very cheap .25 cal Raven pistol. It uses the same extractor/firing pin ejection system. The extractor is at the top of the slide instead of on the right side as the Hi-Point. The firing pin protrudes approximately 3/8ths of an inch when the slide is fully retracted.

I have experienced numerous jams with this pistol, mostly FTFeed, and clearing the jams by racking the slide was normal. I never experienced a problem with the firing pin striking the primer. I don't shoot it very much anymore, so it is just in the safe.

I do plan on getting a .45 carbine. I think it would be a great asset. Thanks for listening.... Bobby

Where is the link? I couldn't find it, I'd like to see it for myself.
The firing pin 'ejects' the extracted case. The hook is the extractor.
I agree, that is a potentially dangerous design.
Thanks, Tommy, for the insight.
The pics you posted prove your point.

I viewed the link...the guy must have had the pistol pointed at himself while he was fiddling around with it...now here is a true idiot who could have easily vacated his place from the family gene pool.

I'd almost be willing to bet that the primers this guy used on his reloads, were Federals, they are know to be made with soft primer cup material-- I have been handloading for over 60 years, own 9 Hi Points and never had a problem, but in the Lee reloading tools they specifically warn you NOT to use Federal primers in their priming tools! Most people don't realize how much power there is, in just the primer alone! I wouldn't want to be around when a whole tray of primers goes off--
Cheers,
Fred (Honcho)

It is NEVER a good idea to put a live round in the chamber or ANY firearm unless you are in a place where it is safe to fire the firearm AND the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction. Accidental discharges can happen to anyone not matter how experienced they are.

Sure, if one is going to CC a firearm it has to be loaded but still it should be pointed in a safe direction when rackin' a round into the chamber and making it safe for carry.
The problem i see is if you want to carry with a round chambered and then decide to unload the weapon without having fired it! seems to me like it could cause the round to go off when you are tying to SAFE the firearm by unloading it....

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.