close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Never Forget - December 7, 1941

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by grizcty, Dec 7, 2017.

1. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

The Imperial Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, on December 7, 1941.
    This attack brought us into WWII.

As the son of a WWII Navy Veteran.
    I personally would like to say "THANK YOU", to the men and woman of "The greatest Generation". [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At 7:55 a.m. Hawaii time, a Japanese dive bomber bearing the red symbol of the Rising Sun of Japan on its wings appears out of the clouds above the island of Oahu. A swarm of 360 Japanese warplanes followed, descending on the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor in a ferocious assault. The surprise attack struck a critical blow against the U.S. Pacific fleet and drew the United States irrevocably into World War II.

With diplomatic negotiations with Japan breaking down, President Franklin D. Roosevelt and his advisers knew that an imminent Japanese attack was probable, but nothing had been done to increase security at the important naval base at Pearl Harbor. It was Sunday morning, and many military personnel had been given passes to attend religious services off base. At 7:02 a.m., two radar operators spotted large groups of aircraft in flight toward the island from the north, but, with a flight of B-17s expected from the United States at the time, they were told to sound no alarm. Thus, the Japanese air assault came as a devastating surprise to the naval base.

Much of the Pacific fleet was rendered useless: Five of eight battleships, three destroyers, and seven other ships were sunk or severely damaged, and more than 200 aircraft were destroyed. A total of 2,400 Americans were killed and 1,200 were wounded, many while valiantly attempting to repulse the attack. Japan’s losses were some 30 planes, five midget submarines, and fewer than 100 men. Fortunately for the United States, all three Pacific fleet carriers were out at sea on training maneuvers.

My father heard the original radio address given by FDR.

The Infamy Speech was a speech delivered by United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt to a Joint Session of Congress on December 8, 1941, one day after the Empire of Japan's attack on the US naval base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii and the Japanese declaration of war on the United States and the British Empire. The name derives from the first line of the speech: Roosevelt describing the previous day as "a date which will live in infamy". The speech is also commonly referred to as the "Pearl Harbor Speech."

Within an hour of the speech, Congress passed a formal declaration of war against Japan and officially brought the U.S. into World War II. The address is one of the most famous of all American political speeches.

Pictures of the Japanese attack and destruction of Pear Harbor.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/pearl-harbor-day-of-infamy/

TXplt, jwrauch, gsbuickman and 6 others like this.
  2. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist

76 years ago. I don't know what other states do, but Maine issues a "PH" license plate to those who survived the Pearl Harbor attack. Today, there are very few "PH" license plates left.

TheWall, PAPA G, austinjoe13 and 3 others like this.

3. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

1. The British Prime Minister Winston Churchill learned of the attack after President Roosevelt called him on the phone. Writing a memoir of his reaction to the news Churchill said, "To have the United States at our side was to me the greatest joy. Now at this very moment," Churchill continued, "I knew the United States was in the war, up to the neck and in it to the death. So we had won after all!...Hitler's fate was sealed. Mussolini's fate was sealed. As for the Japanese, they would be ground to powder."

TXplt, jwrauch, Junction15 and 3 others like this.
  4. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

Thanks for posting a reminder on this historic (and tragic) event. Many of us may have had relatives that were there (I did - an uncle (Navy) that was burned but survived). We can never forget. Also, we need to be ever vigilant to ensure we (the USA) are not going to fall victim again by a hostile small rogue nation that has been in the news.

neophyte, TXplt, jwrauch and 4 others like this.
  5. My Grandma's brother was there when it happened, family said he never would talk about his time in the Navy after that.

Wicked109, neophyte, jwrauch and 4 others like this.
  6. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

AFAIK I had no relatives in the Jap attack. But my Blessings and thanks to all under the attack!
    :):):):usa2::usa2::usa2:

7. grizcty

President Trump will be signing a proclamation for National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.

President Trump Signs a Proclamation for National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day

Wicked109, neophyte, jwrauch and 2 others like this.
  8. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I didn't have any relatives at Pearl Harbor when the attack too place, but my Uncle Mike joined the Seabees as a heavy equipment operator. His unit was put to work as part of the team ordered to raise the Arizona. They cut away a lot of the superstructure and managed to get cables under her with an eye to raising her and easing her into a floating drydock where repairs could be started, attempting to patch her up enough to take her, still in the drydock, back to the West Coast to be rebuilt.

Uncle Mike told me they had her up with the main deck about to break the surface when the order came down from CINCPAC: "Put the Arizona back on the bottom and leave her there." It apparently was decided that she was too badly damaged to be repaired for wartime service. Three of her main 14 inch gun turrets were salvaged. The two after turrets were turned over to the US Army's 16th Coast Artillery Regiment and installed to cover Kaneohe Bay as "Battery Pennsylvania" and "Battery Arizona." The No. 2 turret was stripped of its guns, which were refurbished and reinstalled aboard the USS Nevada, and were used to bombard shore targets at Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

There is also a scrapyard somewhere on the island of Oahu which contains several hundred tons of steel from the superstructure of the ship. The Navy has never released its location to the public. Survivors of the Arizona and their families are sometimes permitted to visit the site and remove small bits of the steel as mementos.

Wicked109, neophyte, jwrauch and 3 others like this.
  9. my1871colt45

my1871colt45 G&G Evangelist

Oklahoma
    Last weekend my daughter and I took my grandson to Muskogee to see the full size replicas of the Nina and Pinta ships which sail around manned by volunteers as a historic display. After we left there we decided to also take him to the USS Batfish War memorial and museum. While there I found out since I last visited they had included a lot of cool stuff inclding large a piece of the USS Oklahoma from Pearl Harbor.....

20171203_125731.jpg 20171203_125731.jpg 20171203_143803.jpg 20171203_143746.jpg 20171203_143646.jpg

Wicked109, neophyte, jwrauch and 4 others like this.
  10. grizcty

So infuriating!
    Not sure if anyone just watched the proclamation signing.
    As the President and Pear Harbor survivors were leaving.
    You hear idiot reporters yelling out questions about Sen. Franken and something about sexual assault.
    NOT ONE, question/comment about Pearl Harbor!!!

The media is so disrespectful!! :mad:

Wicked109, neophyte, FortyXDM and 5 others like this.
  11. my1871colt45

Oklahoma
    I forgot a pic I wanted to add here. It tells more info on the Okla. and where on the ship this came from and how. 20171203_143751.jpg

12. I will NEVER forget, that's why I don't buy Toyota's, Nissan's, Mitsubishi's, or Honda's !..........

13. grizcty

Thanks,
    I was wondering what that rusted metal piece was part of.

jwrauch, Junction15 and my1871colt45 like this.
  14. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Yes the sorry pos idiot reporters never stick to what's going on, they instead dump all kind of non related questions. It makes me doubt their honesty reporting!!!

jwrauch and Junction15 like this.
  15. my1871colt45

Oklahoma
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    grizcty, jwrauch, Cyrano and 2 others like this.
  16. Thank you America without your help
    We would be speaking German in Britain,
    and Japanese in Australia.

neophyte, grizcty, blaster and 2 others like this.
  17. Cant say England has improved any since then.
    I told my Dr it was a great day for Scotia when
    I was born.
    He said not really...but a great day when I left.

grizcty, Felix's Tattoo and PAPA G like this.