close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nevins cartridge company?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Pumpkinheaver, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Evangelist

I was given a big batch of .38 spl brass and much of it is headstamped NEVINS .38 spl. I have never heard of nevins cartridge co maybe someone on here can enlighten me?

2. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Pumpkinheaver have you compared it to Starline -- if you buy a drum of 50000 pieces starline would headstamp it pumpkinheaver for you

3. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Hummmm doglips brass :)

Shaun been meanign to ask..what do you do for a liveing....the reloads at work left me ?????

4. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Doglips I do three things for a living

Work full time at Cat in the technology area
    Side Job Teaching College with the University of Phoenix
    and I run an ammunition business of my own on the side for the past 6 years

gsbuickman likes this.
  5. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Ok rembered you workign for Cat....could not figure the reloading ammo for your work..thinking Catapiler...unless testing out the new grader with the 30 cal mount :)

Cyrano likes this.
  6. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

new grader with a 30 cal that's a good idea

7. terry2425

terry2425 G&G Newbie

nEVINS aMMUNITION

Nevins Ammunition was a small manufacturer of handgun ammunition in Boise, Idaho from 1980 to 1987. The company produced 38, 357, 45, 44 and 9 mm in a variety of different loads and bullet types for law enforcement and sporting goods stores in the Pacific Northwest. The majority of the ammunition made was “remanufacturedâ€￾ for law enforcement training. The company was the first to produce a high pressure, high velocity-training round with a lead bullet in 38 Special. A special process was developed with a small bullet manufacturer in California to produce a lead bullet that would not leave any residue in the barrel at a high velocity. The company was also the first to introduce the “Twelve Packâ€￾ of handgun ammunition to the retail sporting goods industry. The brass you have with the Nevins headstamp was manufactured for the company by one of three suppliers; Starline, Winchester or Norma of Sweden. The company produced in excess of 5 million rounds each year with sales primarily in the Northwest, with the exception of government contracts that were shipped globally.

Best regards,

Terry Nevins

Cyrano and gsbuickman like this.
  8. ScottD

ScottD G&G Enthusiast

Thanks for the indepth info, Terry.

9. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Welcome to the Site Terry

10. Pumpkinheaver

11. Terry2625

Terry2625 G&G Newbie

Nevins Ammo

Terry Nevins!

I still have a few boxes of Nevins .38 ammo! Awesome stuff. I used to go by the Nevin's place and buy it directly from the shop. I was wondering if I could ask: Who supplied the great bullets you used, and can their process be duplicated? I reload, and I am wanting to do more shooting in SAS and with other competitions.

If I was able to produce enough to make it worthwhile to go through the ATF process, I might even think about that.

Any thoughts?

I really have some great memories with your ammo! It was great to see you make comments. It made me register just to visit with you.

(Terry 2, I guess)

12. Pumpkinheaver

Darn this thread popping is a blast from the past. It's almost 5 years old!!!! By the way the brass is still going strong, I loaded some of it just the other night!

13. Terry2625

Terry2625 G&G Newbie

Nevins Ammo

Hey Pumpkinheaver! I didn't even look at the age of the original posts. I was hoping to connect with Terry Nevins. If you know, let me know?

Anyway, I'll say that you should get a lot of wear from that brass, depending on the chambers (some vary) and the pressures you use. I appreciate the response. Have a great one.

Terry

14. Pumpkinheaver

It looks like he hasn't posted since 2004! Have you tried sending him a PM?

15. Terry2625

Terry2625 G&G Newbie

Thank you, but how would I go about that?

Terry

16. snowcat

snowcat G&G Newbie

Hey Terry's or Pumpkinheaver, I have 20 year old son that I named Nevin. Would it be possible to pick up a few different brass from you? He just bought his girlfriend a 60ls lady smith (with pink grips). I think it would be neat to load her a few rounds of personal loads from him.
    Or if anyone could lead me to a few it would be great!
    Thanks Clark

17. Pumpkinheaver

Let me see if I still have any of that brass left and I'll gladly send you some.

gsbuickman likes this.
  18. ShotsAlot

ShotsAlot G&G Newbie

I realize the age of this thread but thought I'd give it an update. My wife and I were recently house hunting and drove by a house with its garage door up. What caught my eyes were about six reloaders on a bench so I backed up and pulled into the driveway. I introduced myself and shook hands with Terry Nevins of NEVINS Ammunition. He's still loading-selling about 11 calibers of ammo. He'll do custom rifle loads upon request. I purchased some .22LR while I was there because they're so hard to find these days. I paid for $12.00 for 100 rounds, he handed me a pamphlet with prices which are competitive with today's market. Terry showed me a .223 boat tail fmj that looked really nice. Terry offered me a discount on purchases if I bring in brass. I'm looking forward to buying some of the ammo he makes and try it at the range. Terry seems like a really nice guy, I'm looking forward to do business with him. I noticed he doesn't make 5.56mm ammo and I failed to ask him. Any of you have an idea why?

Cyrano and gsbuickman like this.
  19. ShotsAlot

ShotsAlot G&G Newbie

Terry doesn't manufacture .22LR ammo, he just had some on the shelves for sale. Ammo like that now days stands out like a sore thumb.

Thanks for allowing me in the forum,
    Rod

20. Pumpkinheaver

Thank for sharing your encounter with us.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted