close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New 10/22t- what now?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by oddbawl, May 22, 2002.

1. I just brought home my brand new 10/22t. Anybody have recommendations on a scope? Are there any quirks I should know about (I'm new to the 10/22). What else has to be done to it or is it ok out of the box?

2. JohnD

JohnD Member

From canada eh? Same here. I have recently purchased a k10/22 SS standard model. I do not think I will put a scope on it, I like open sights on close range vaminting. But if you are going to be shooting tagets you should get one that goes on the barrel and not the recever.

Off topick here, but did you hear about that hells angels leader that was convicted for ordering the deaths of three prision gaurds? 2 of them were killed and 1 lived I think. Anyway the guy owned registered hanguns and shotguns. Our registration realy works eh?

3. The 10/22t doesn't come with any iron sights, so I guess it was meant to be scoped.
    Man, our gun laws are laughable- I was at the local gunshop today and they have a new HK that looks like someting out of ALIENS, I forget the model# but it's 5.56mm semi auto- not restricted, but an AR15 is and AK's are prohibited! It defies logic!
    I'm used to owning larger bore semi's and I like the fact that at least they've left .22's alone as far as mag capacities, I just a ordered a 25rounder.

4. JohnD

JohnD Member

Ya the hi cap. mags for the 10/22 are great, get the ones with the steel lips because the other ones wear out fast. Well most AR-15 are restricted I think but the AK is prohibited for shure. But why would they let a knowen hells angels leader have registerd guns? This web sight has some neat guns: http://www3.mb.sympatico.ca/~jhipwell/index.htm

The laws are made buy people who know nothing about guns.

Here is another one: http://www.theshootingedge.com
    The Swiss arms Red devil Is totaly unrestricted too, it is one sweet looking gun. The picture takes long to load. Oh and it costs $2900 too. But take a look anyway

Oh yes I forgot about the target model. has no sights

5. I just checked out those sites, that Swiss Arms is a dead ringer for my friend's Daewoo, folding stock and all, and that's prohibited. Makes no sense! The HK I was talking about is on the first site you listed the HK SL 8. I played with it and it really feels like a toy, a mean lookin rifle though.

6. JohnD

JohnD Member

I have a question about the HK Is the action plastic too?

What do you mean its a dead ringer? I did not catch what you were trying to say. Sorry it's probably my fault.

Last edited: May 22, 2002
  7. I doubt the action is plastic, I didn't look at it. By dead ringer I mean it looks EXACTLY the same, and the same calibre too but the Daewoo is prohibited- just goes to show how pointless the laws are.

8. JohnD

JohnD Member

If I had the money I would get that swiss arms gun, but I don't have enough money to be buying $3000 toys. Oh and the m96 on the one sight it totaly unresricted too.

9. If you want a sweet centerfire semi that isn't restricted, go with a Garand. They're the only semi that can legally hold more than 5rds (it holds 8 or nothing) and they just don't make 'em like that any more, the workmanship is awesome... I've got a couple, and they go for about $300-400 cad. Try one and you'll never go back!

10. JohnD

JohnD Member

Where in canada can I get them? And what kind of accuracy can one expect from them?

11. I just got one from Milarm in Edmonton for $275 www.milarm.com
    They may not have one advertised on the website but if you call they usually have a few. The Garand used to be (and still is) used for Match shooting, and as long as you have a good bore, they are dead accurate. There were over 7 million made, so parts are everywhere. They're .30-06 so they've got quite a punch. If you go to www.fulton-armory.com they have a great Garand intro and info page. I can't say enough about these rifles, a hands down favourite in my collection. You should check out the Garand forum on here.

12. JohnD

JohnD Member

Thanks for the info I will have to look into one.

13. jpaulghetto

jpaulghetto G&G Newbie

Can a Yankee get a price like that? whats the deal on shipping to the u.s. i live right across the creek, detroit. don't think theres many gun shops in Windsor. $275, canada is unbeilevable!!

14. jpaulghetto

jpaulghetto G&G Newbie

sorry, got carried away with garand availibility. the newest thinking on the 10/22 target or rebarreled with bull is to mount scope base on barrel and receiver. one hole in barrel insures alinement when reasembled after cleaning. cleaning from muzzle is BAD! what i did is drill a hole on backside of receiver to accecpt cleaning rod. fine rifle, good luck.

15. It's definitely worth looking into- there's a gunshop just down the street from me in Hamilton about three and a half hours from you that's selling a BREDA for $350 Canadian about $225 US. It'd be worth the drive because it looks like this is the ONLY time it is cheaper to buy ANYTHING up here. If I were you, I'd call Milarm (link's on above post) and find out what it would cost to import because from what I've seen they're all around this price and that's less than half of a good one Stateside goes for! Let me know how you do. In the mean time, does anybody have any answers to my 10/22 questions? ;)

16. jpaulghetto

jpaulghetto G&G Newbie

i personaly have a bsa 3x9-40 on my bull barreled 10/22. recoil is not a factor on a rimfire so less expensive optics are more then adaquit. tasco makes a fine , reasonably priced glass in 3x9. imho simmoms makes the best rimfire scope,for the money. my rifle will do half inch at 50 yards, with a hangover! [mine not the rifle] just make sure mount and rings are TIGHT, i'm sure your rifle will do as well or better. good luck! jeff

17. JohnD

JohnD Member

But if I were you oddbawl I would try to find a barrel mounted scope base. But for now you can put it on the recever and see if you are happy with the accuracy.

18. jpaulghetto

jpaulghetto G&G Newbie

garand from milarm

talk about your stupid laws!! well got responce from milarm, e-mail, u.s. federal law prohibits RE-importation of u.s. military firearms. milarm said they would be happy to assist me in the purchase of a non-u.s.piece. o well, live and learn. thanks anyway.

19. JohnD

JohnD Member

Right, I forgot about that law. Also the americans are screwing with our already restricting gun laws, The US gov. will not allow import of American made .50BMG rifles into canada since 9/11. And ar-15 type rifles have to be sold to a canadian person before they can come from the states so the dealers can no longer have them in stalk now and have to be pre ordered.

20. jpaulghetto,
    A nice little loophole then, ask Milarm if they have any BREDA or Berretta Garands, all of the Garands we get up here are Danish imports so the Italian Garands are pretty common. They may have US parts but they were NEVER US military so you'd be OK. From what I've seen, the fit and finish on the Italian Garands is a bit better, just because the weren't under wartime production pressures. All of the parts are identical, my Springfield M1 came with a few BREDA parts on it. Good luck, and regardless if you get it here or not, you've GOTTA get a Garand- you'll never go back!