Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering buying a more expensive prism optic for my rifle, but am hesitant to spend the money for it. so i decided to try a cheaper option to see if its actually what i want or not, if so i can upgrade down the road.

I have been eyeing the new primary arms 3x micro prism, its about $325 when in stock, so not crazy expensive, but not cheap either.

I have the 1x version of the same thing ( $275) and while i like it, im not sure i like it enough to spend even more on the same thing but with 3x.

currently my rifle has a 1-6x lpvo on it, which in concept is perfect, you get 1x and zoom for both close range and longer shots. but, with everything comes both pros and cons. the plvo is large and heavy, in my experience, plus there is more of a fisheye effect than i find optimal, so if i stick with the 1-6lpvo concept, ill upgrade that down the road as well.

I want something smaller and lighter but dont want a red dot+ magnifier. this is my rifle, i have a ar-15 pistol for super close range stuff, its got the 1x on it. so for this rifle im leaning towards a 3x prism, im willing to give up very short range speed for better medium range visibility.

so, I found this guy:

yes its cheap( inexpensive) but i have another 2-7 scope from this mfg and its good, not great but certainly worth the money. so i decided to try this one out, if it sucks ill just return it but i want to test out the 3x fixed prism on this rifle so this is how im going to do it.

anyways, ill post more of a review once i get it.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I have come to the conclusion that the optic i want doesnt exist.

a short 5-6" lpvo, between 1-4 and 1-5x. weighing say, less than a pound with mount included. etched reticle, solar or fiber optic illumination.

under $500

so yeah doesnt exist, but i dont think it will be that far off, the trend is to make optics smaller and lighter, so i feel like that progression is in the future for lpvo's, the tech just isnt there yet.

Ive seen 3-9 scopes that are about this same size, so why not a 1-6?

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If i had a larger budget i might be getting either this:

or this:

I got the Monstrum blackbird 3x30 in today. its ok, not sure yet if im going to keep it or not.

i may end up convincing myself returning it and wait for the primary arms micro prism.

or this one:

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that monstrum 3x prism is on its way back to amazon.

the glass was actually quite good. but it had a very narrow field of view. the biggest issue with it was that the battery turret cap was cross threaded on and there was no way to get it off without ruining it. also the mounting screws were not very well taped, one of them wouldnt go in all the way.

this was almost a good scope. if they could correct some of the sloppy mfg issues, i might try another one. but i have decided im going to save up a bit and get a 3x prism in the $300+ range. there are a few good options i posted below.

even just looking through this 3x prsm confirmed that is the type of optic i want to go with.

this is for my go-to only can grab one rifle rifle.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually used to own a Burris AR-332 and really liked it. i sold it to move to an LPVO, and now im circling back to the 3x prism! i was kinda regretting selling the ar-332, but now that i think about it its ok becuase the ones out now are much better than that one even, for about the same price it was new, so all in all its more of an upgrade with a bit of a journey lol.

I like trying new and different things.

i keep coming back to the KISS principle.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After doing some research yesterday, what i have found is the reticles in the Burris and Vortex seem really small. the primary arms reticle looks much more useable to me. now if only they were in stock!

the Primary arms model is also the cheapest of the bunch at ~$320.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have been considering buying a more expensive prism optic for my rifle, but am hesitant to spend the money for it. so i decided to try a cheaper option to see if its actually what i want or not, if so i can upgrade down the road.

I have been eyeing the new primary arms 3x micro prism, its about $325 when in stock, so not crazy expensive, but not cheap either.

I have the 1x version of the same thing ( $275) and while i like it, im not sure i like it enough to spend even more on the same thing but with 3x.

currently my rifle has a 1-6x lpvo on it, which in concept is perfect, you get 1x and zoom for both close range and longer shots. but, with everything comes both pros and cons. the plvo is large and heavy, in my experience, plus there is more of a fisheye effect than i find optimal, so if i stick with the 1-6lpvo concept, ill upgrade that down the road as well.

I want something smaller and lighter but dont want a red dot+ magnifier. this is my rifle, i have a ar-15 pistol for super close range stuff, its got the 1x on it. so for this rifle im leaning towards a 3x prism, im willing to give up very short range speed for better medium range visibility.

so, I found this guy:

yes its cheap( inexpensive) but i have another 2-7 scope from this mfg and its good, not great but certainly worth the money. so i decided to try this one out, if it sucks ill just return it but i want to test out the 3x fixed prism on this rifle so this is how im going to do it.

anyways, ill post more of a review once i get it.
I have been doing a whole lot of reading, and it seems that folks really like the primary arms. Looks like those guys are defying some of the high dollar companies with proof that quality can be had in the reasonable range.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been doing a whole lot of reading, and it seems that folks really like the primary arms. Looks like those guys are defying some of the high dollar companies with proof that quality can be had in the reasonable range.

yeah i agree, my experience with the 1x micro prism has been totally positive.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today i stopped by Cabelas and checked out what 3x prisms they had in stock. the main to i was interested in was the Vortex spitfire gen II 3x and the Burris RT-3. they also had the 5x version of the vortex option, I honestly couldnt tell much of a difference between the 3x and the 5x aside from the reticle in the 5x was slightly larger and it had just a tad more zoom, but it felt more like 4x then 5.

anyways, I liked the Burris better. the reticle was better and it felt better in the hand.

well, I get home to do some more research and guess what's in my email. pre orders for the Primary arms version are now available and will ship in June, well i get a bonus at the end of may and my Bday is in june so that felt about perfect! so i ordered one. its the cheapest of the 3 but only slightly, and free shipping.

reviews online seem to agree that that burris and vortex reticles are too small, from what i can see from photos and videos online im hoping that wont be an issue on the primary arms offering.

now i wait! which is the hardest part for me, I was pretty tempeted to buy the burris today but im glad i held off. I really wanted the primary arms one anyways.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
after playing around with this thing for a day or two i can say I really like it. its exactly what i was hoping for. now, it does have some compromises, as expected.

but i love the way the rifle feels with it on. as you can see in the picture im running both guns with no irons, I trust these optics to handle what im going to throw at them, and I DO have back up irons i can throw on the rifles if need be. I keep them in with the spare parts and tools in the dedicated rifle bag which goes with the rifle wherever it goes.

the glass is crystal clear if you ask me, of course bear in mind I dont have much experience with very high end optics, so TO ME its very nice glass.

I do wish it had a larger FOV, and the eye box is a little tight. but, with a good consistent cheek weld its not an issue. at 15 yards and in the 3x could be considered a drawback, but thats not really what this rifle is for. its more of a medium range set up, for which 3x is about perfect.

the reticle is a good size, large enough to easily pick up but small enough to be precise.

the weight and size are the main selling points, but you really dont have to sacrifice much in return. yes an LPVO can do cqb AND longer range, but its trade off is size and weight, not to mention the also compromise on both 1x and top end, generally 6x or 8x. they arent really optimized for either. this one does 3x and does it well

pick your poison.

what can i say im a fan.

having the 1x on my pistol and the 3x on the rifle maintains a certain level of consistency when going from one to the other, which is nice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts