close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New 527 17 Hornet for 2013

Discussion in 'CZ' started by Para Cassatt, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Their website shows it to be available in January 2013 but it won't be chambered in their kevlar target model. It will be in a sporter and varmint model though and I would hope the compact too eventually.They also had a 527 M1 model with a somewhat recessed magazine and very nice wood. When I tried to open it's link but found an error page instead so couldn't tell what it'll be chambered for.

Attached Files:

2. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

Glad I waited, I was going to buy a 527 in 22 hornet and rebarel it!

3. Para Cassatt

A switch barrel combo would be neat.

4. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

Yes it would, but I would be happy with a CZ 527 in 17 Hornet!

5. Im looking for the varmint 527 model 17 Hornet . I have a new 4-16 X AO scope, five boxes of ammo, a new military sling and a box of brass , reloading dies ,and shell holder are on order. There have ben some days this winter when the prairie dog have ben out of their holes but I wont to start out this year shooting them with a low muzzle blast and recoil rifle.

6. Just read an article about the 17 Hornet in the most recent Shooting Times and the 527 was in there and got a pretty good nod from the writer. 1 inch groups at 3,541 fps !!!

I see one of these in my near future as my first CZ purchase as I am a CZ virgin thus far.

7. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

Once you hold, carry, and shoot a CZ all other brands just dont stack up...

8. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Man another 17 Sounds darn good though

9. Para Cassatt

The 17 Hornet is the latest ammo to go into hiding per our salesperson at Ellett Bros. There must be some rifles making it to the stores if that's the case.

10. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I fondled this rifle at SHOT show this year and really liked it. I have a 527 in .204 Ruger and it's extremely accurate. Yet another one I would like to own but until it's offered in a left handed rifle I won't go after it. Talked with CZ and Ruger both and they said they would have to wait to see what sales look like before they turn it out in a lefty.

11. There must have ben a very small amount of CZ 17 Hornet rifles imported. I m still waiting for the wood varmint model.

12. Still looking

Last December 2012 I purchased five boxes of 17 Hornet ammo , a 4-16 X AO scope and rifle sling at Cabela's . Since then Iv added a box of brass, bullets and RCBS reloading dies, but still no CZ 17 Hornet rifle.

13. Para Cassatt

Ellett Brothers has had them recently so there are some floating out there.

In the Winter/Spring issue of Predator Nation Magazine on pages 68 & 69 they have two small write ups on the CZ American and Varmint. I really like the Varmint model, too bad they don't include rings.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  14. Para Cassatt

There has also been plenty of Savage Model 25s around. It took them a while to start circulating too.

15. Fine Wood and Blued Steel

P Cassatt : I have ben reading users reports about the Savage Model 25 . Some reports indicate that they are accurate but some reported problems with the bolt and magazine. Even if there no problems, what I like is fine wood and blued steel sporting firearms. Having said that I did replace some stocks with glass bedded Boyds thumbhole varmint stocks on 22 RF, 17 Fireball, 221 Fireball and 223 Rem prairie dog shooting rifles. So I ll get by until I can get a CZ Varmint 17 Hornet rifle.

16. Para Cassatt

I haven't heard much about the problems of the Sav. 25's but will keep an eye out on the reports. My biggest hangup is that the pressed in barrel isn't reflected in the price costing about the same as the CZ's. The Walking Varminter is however considerably less expensive selling for about $500 or so. With that said, if the 25 is made the same as the Model 40 was then the bolt may be of concern if the fragile firing pin hasn't been corrected. You can bend it easily if not careful and I don't plan to take mine back apart again.

17. In 1952 I purchased my first rifle a Win Mdl 70 270 and over the years have purchased various brands and caliber firearms. When ever I wonted a different cartridge firearm I was tempted to get a lower priced gun but when I did, I have not seen them increase in value as the better quality firearms. I v learned how to glass bed actions, freefloat barrels, adjust triggers, clean barrels, and seen when bolt locking lugs need lapping and muzzle re-crowned. At times one can get lucky and get an accurate lower priced gun but most of the time you get the quality control you pay for. That's why I ll be trying out the CZ rifle.

18. variolamajor

variolamajor G&G Evangelist

While I like my .17 HMR - a centerfire cartridge would give me pause. All that extra powder on such a small diameter bore is a recipe for accelerated bore erosion. Also - with such a tiny bore fouling becomes more a problem requiring more maintenance to sustain accuracy. You have to look at the practical side as well. No matter how fast you push it - you can only do so much with a 20gr bullet. ;)

19. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

All true Guys. Kinda reminds me of the 220 Swift which was said to burn barrels. Believe some barrels were chromed lined to help this problem but then Winchester came out with the 225 Win. around 1964. Did not catch on because it was slower moving than the swift. Something like 3,650 FPS. I had one with a sporter barrel back in 74 with free floated barrel. I suppose post 64 model 70 did not help either. Swift made a come back I used to read.

20. Take a look at reloading data powder weight for the 17 Fireball and 17 Remington rifles and then compare their loads to the little 10 to 13 Gr of powder used in the 17 Hornet. Fast barrel burn out is unlikely for the little 17 Hornet. As a case capacity increases for any bore diameter the velocity per grain of powder ratio decreases. This causes more heat to burn out the barrel. So the barrel of a 17 Hornet may burn out faster than the 17 HM2, and 17 HMR but not as fast as a 17 Fireball and 17 Remington. For me the extra range of the little Fireball over the rimfire is what I wont. I ll not be using my 17 Fireball and 17 Rem rifles as much. Since getting a 17 HMR and 17 HM2 rifles I have stopped using the 22 RF and 22 WMR for shooting prairie dogs. The 17s are fine rimfire rounds but their range for prairie dog shooting is limited.