close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New 527 17 Hornet for 2013

Discussion in 'CZ' started by Para Cassatt, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Its now Aug 31 and the Cabelas Sidney NE store has not found a CZ Varmint 17 Hornet rifle for me. The 17 Hornet ammo I purchased last December at the Cabelas Sidney store is still waiting for a rifle.

2. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

You may have to find a gunshop that will search around for you one. CZ rifles have always been scarce around here too and it can be hard to find such a shop but we do have a couple. The 527s have been hard to find in any caliber lately.

3. I turned 78 years old last Mo, I purchased my first rifle in the fall of 1952. Over the years I have ordered a few firearms but I have never waited this long to have an ordered filled. I was going to first use the 17 Hornet rifle on prairie dogs but now with a little luck I ll have the CZ for shooting black tail jack rabbits this winter.

4. It has ben nearly a year since I purchased 17 Hornet ammo ,and scope and since then got brass and reloading dies. The people at my nearest Cabelas store has not found a CZ Varmint 17 Hornet rifle. I saved up some gift cards my kids gave me and have not used any Cabela bucks for some time. So I have the $$$ but no CZ rifle..

5. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

That's hard to believe that it has taken this long for Cabelas to find a rifle. I am wondering if they have just blown you off. If I were you I would be bugging them two or three times a week until they either tell you to pound sand or order your rifle. Maybe even contact Cabela's corporate office and ask what the hold up is.

I would like to see one in left hand. I would even be happy with a left handed CZ 527 in 17 Remington.

6. On Dec 30 ,2013 I finely got a CZ Varmint 17 Hornet rifle.. Need to get different scope ring that I had.. So it may be some time before I shoot it..

7. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

GunsAmerica has several listings for the Savage Model 25 in .17 Hornet and .22 Hornet. Nothing for the CZ 527 though.

8. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

MO
    From Cabela's?

They seem to like to advertise items on-line as 'in-stock' when it not...tell the customer the item is on back-order and then ask if you want to cancel the back-order.

I think my days of buying from Cabela's will short lived.

Looking for a range report!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  9. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

It's good to hear that you received your rifle finally. Did your rifle not come with factory rings? When I bought my CZ it came with a set from the factory.

I too am looking forward to a range report.

10. The CZ Varmint 527 rifles do not come with scope rings but the other model does.

11. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

That must have changed. When I bought my .204 Ruger in 2004 it came with them from the factory.

At any rate I am sure interested in hearing how it shoots and performs for you.

12. April 5, 2013, It has ben cold and windy on the days that I could shoot my new CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet off a bench rest until today. The rifle is well made, nice blued steel with straight grain walnut stock. The stock checkering is sharp. Overall the rifle with a Leupold 4-12 AO scope, and military sling looks good to me. The set trigger is set at 1 1/2 Lbs and the regular trigger pull is 4 Lbs but I will be setting the pull down to 3 pounds. I only fired the rifle 3 times with the set trigger, it may take me some time to get use to a 1 1/2 Lb pull. I fired 4 rounds to get a bullet to hit the center of the target at 50 yards and then moved the target to 100 yards. My Hornady ammo supply is some what limited so I used 3 shot groups to get the last group to be 3/4 inch high at 100 yards . I now have 4 boxes left , 100 rounds left for prairie dog shooting. The 5 boxes of Hornady 20 Gr ammo and a box of brass I ordered last March 2013 is still on back ordered but I ll reload the 125 cartridges I have after all have ben fired. Most of the time my reloaded ammo is more accurate than factory ammo. I may not be able to for the 17 Hornet . I came back from the range with a big smile after shooting sub 1/2 inch 3 shot groups to site the rifle in. I ll be shooting p dogs a year later than I expected when I first purchased five boxes ammo in Dec 2012. I m an old timer and its unlikely that I will be getting another varmint rifle, so my last rifle may be my best one for spring p dog shooting when there a lot of shooting within 250 yards.

Palladin8 and Para Cassatt like this.
  13. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I guess my post had been deleted due to the crash.

I am happy to hear that the long journey to getting the new rifle was rewarded with such great results. I would have hated to hear a horror story knowing that you have waited so long for this rifle. But then again CZ turns out some of the nicest shooting rifles I have had the pleasure to shoot.