Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
I have a dumb question. A few years ago I read somewhere where a guy was out hunting and was attacked by a cougar. During the attack he lost use of his right eye and I forget who or where but someone set him up with a scope mount that he could use and shoot using his left eye while holding the gun right handed. Would this be possible with that type of mount?? In doing so would you be able to get the height right in order to get the correct cheek weld?? Just a thought.

·
Scope mount mfgr.
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Jeff,

It certainly shows you're thinking in a very original way.

I'm sure you can figure out the best scope position. I do see somewhat of a weak point in external band approach in comparison to your original design - certain chance of losing zero if action is taken out of the stock or if external band gets banged against something. Another thing - you may have to spend more time talking to the customers who might need advise related to this particular design in comparison to your original design.

Other than that, I really admire your creativity.
Thanks Kortik, I believe I have come up with a couple of ways to make the scope height adjustable, and to be able to adapt my rail as well. I have considered the possibility of it not holding a reliable zero ( testing will tell)
The nice thing about this side mount concept is it uses my see-through base so I could use my standard receiver band to attach it to the action.
It would just need to be tightened on the right side of the base instead
of the left. I hope I can get to the range soon, one good day of testing will
help me work out a lot of details.

·
Banned
458 Posts
The nice thing about this side mount concept is it uses my see-through base so I could use my standard receiver band to attach it to the action.

That is a great way to design the product - one major common part and two options. I believe you have an absolutely correct idea here...

I never tried it myself, and can not tell just looking at the picture, but if the centerline of the scope is the same (in horizontal plane) as the line of the open sights, say, set at 300 or so, it may actually be the prefered position -just a thought.

It looks like this setup may be actually PERFECT for use with relatively compact and lightweight, 20 to 32 mm shotgun scope.

·
Scope mount mfgr.
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have a dumb question. A few years ago I read somewhere where a guy was out hunting and was attacked by a cougar. During the attack he lost use of his right eye and I forget who or where but someone set him up with a scope mount that he could use and shoot using his left eye while holding the gun right handed. Would this be possible with that type of mount?? In doing so would you be able to get the height right in order to get the correct cheek weld?? Just a thought.
Mouser868, I don't think it would work to well using your right eye, unless of course The scope was further away from the rifle on the left, but I've never tryed it.

[QUOTE Mouser868]
What I really see here is the mount vibrating under recoil, scratching the receiver and it having a wandering zero.
As far as vibration and a wandering zero, maybe if it was constructed of aluminum, but all my mounts are made of steel just for that reason. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that aluminum mounts don't work as there are some excellent aluminum mounts out there. But if your going to use a mount that is partially suspended, steel is the best choice of materials in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Mouser868, I don't think it would work to well using your right eye, unless of course The scope was further away from the rifle on the left, but I've never tryed it.

[QUOTE Mouser868]
What I really see here is the mount vibrating under recoil, scratching the receiver and it having a wandering zero.
As far as vibration and a wandering zero, maybe if it was constructed of aluminum, but all my mounts are made of steel just for that reason. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that aluminum mounts don't work as there are some excellent aluminum mounts out there. But if your going to use a mount that is partially suspended, steel is the best choice of materials in my opinion.
Well let us know how it goes. Though the idea of moving the scope further left to use the left eye as dominant was just an idea so you could raise the a bit and get better cheek weld.

·
Registered
817 Posts
This is just an observation and it may be a photo anomaly but doesn't this design limit you for scope type? It seems as a scope with larger optics would never fit.

Another issue is you can now not easily put this gun in a bag or case without putting pressure on the scope and mount. Unless of course your looking to sell your own line of modded cases too.

Interesting concept, nice workmanship and execution. As for me personally I really don't like the metal band it seems to be something that is easily bumped and it's right in the pocket where you grip the rifle possibly messing with your little finger when it's fired. And as much kick as this rifle has you need to be comfortable when you fire it.

Seeya
Mark

·
Registered
428 Posts
nice looking piece. keeps the options open for the iron sights and doesn't require bending the bolt. not much use to a lefty like me, but I think the concept is sound.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I always like concepts of reversiable mods. Get it working and I might take one.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
jmeck, the reason I say this is because with only 3 screws holding the mount it would appear that they would create hinge points under the vibration and stress of recoil. There is nothing to keep the bottom of the mount from twisting a wee bit either way and when that rides up the bands it's going to allow to move back and forth a wee bit, which will cause you to lose zero and scratch the receiver. If there were a second band screw on either side of the block on top of the receiver, I feel it would alleviate most of that.

·
Scope mount mfgr.
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
jmeck, the reason I say this is because with only 3 screws holding the mount it would appear that they would create hinge points under the vibration and stress of recoil. There is nothing to keep the bottom of the mount from twisting a wee bit either way and when that rides up the bands it's going to allow to move back and forth a wee bit, which will cause you to lose zero and scratch the receiver. If there were a second band screw on either side of the block on top of the receiver, I feel it would alleviate most of that.
I understand your skepticism, haven't gotten out to the range yet, we'll see.

·
Scope mount mfgr.
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Any news here Jeff?
Hello No Man, I raised the scope about 1/4-3/8 of an inch, this drew it in about an 1/8 of an inch closer to the barrel.I also installed an eBay $14.99 lace-on cheekrest, it works great, the same cheekweld as using the iron sights on a bare stock. I have some plans for a few more prototypes.
One using a Weaver 3/4 tube straight scope and the receiver side mounting
bracket that usually comes with them, one with my rail, and one for a non- Mosin rifle. If all go's well I'll be testing the mount on Saturday. I'll make a post as to how well it works.:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hello No Man, I raised the scope about 1/4-3/8 of an inch, this drew it in about an 1/8 of an inch closer to the barrel.I also installed an eBay $14.99 lace-on cheekrest, it works great, the same cheekweld as using the iron sights on a bare stock. I have some plans for a few more prototypes.
One using a Weaver 3/4 tube straight scope and the receiver side mounting
bracket that usually comes with them, one with my rail, and one for a non- Mosin rifle. If all go's well I'll be testing the mount on Saturday. I'll make a post as to how well it works.:)
Looks like a really cool concept. Glad to see people thinking creatively about this stuff.
Just throwing an idea out here: If you needed another point of contact, you could also make a custom recoil lug bolt that passes through your side braces. You could also oversize the lug slightly wider to help keep the metal side braces suspended around the wood stock with a nice protective gap.

-~Doc~-

·
Banned
458 Posts
Looks like a really cool concept. Glad to see people thinking creatively about this stuff.
Just throwing an idea out here: If you needed another point of contact, you could also make a custom recoil lug bolt that passes through your side braces. You could also oversize the lug slightly wider to help keep the metal side braces suspended around the wood stock with a nice protective gap.

-~Doc~-
I thought about the same concept for some time now. While it looks pretty interesting and may work as a matter of principle, the problem is every time action needs to be taken out of the stock, zero will be lost. Also, making recoil lug bolt will cost, even in large numbers, probably $15+. In addition, considering average 300 G recoil force on the scope and mount, typical coeficient of friction between steel, weight of scope and mount, etc.. relatively thin section of the stock between recoil bolt hole and the channel will see a lot of compression force, up to 500-600 lbs, when everything is tightened. So, it would be a bit more of a challenge in comparison with Jmeck's first original design, which I like a lot, as it was a KISS.

·
Scope mount mfgr.
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I went to the range today and tested the prototype scope mount. It wouldn't
hold zero. I could use my proven band system to hold the base in place but I'd rather not use the band because the whole idea behind this mount was to design a mount that didn't require you to dissassemble or remove anything from the rifle. On the other hand having the scope off to the side does allow one to use their factory straight bolt and a non eer scope. Shooting the rifle with the inexpensive cheek pad really wasn't to bad, I actually did have a cheek weld that was close to as good as shooting a non-scoped Mosin. Nope, I'm not going to shelve this project just yet as I have a few ideas I can try.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
So how exactly was it not holding zero?? Was it vertically or horizontally stringing, or shooting shotgun patterns?? Not trying to make fun but the way it was shooting should be an indicator as to what needs done.

·
Scope mount mfgr.
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So how exactly was it not holding zero?? Was it vertically or horizontally stringing, or shooting shotgun patterns?? Not trying to make fun but the way it was shooting should be an indicator as to what needs done.
Oh, I could see exactly what was happening. It was a vertical stringing do to
the mount base shifting towards the muzzel. After 10 or so rounds the rear of the base would jack up a little which canted the scope towards the ground making it shoot at least 4 feet high at 50 yards, very bad, I shot over the range berm at least once. I re-torqued everything and tryed it again, this time I stopped at around 7 rounds as I could see it was going to do the same thing again. The windage was spot on untill the mount canted forward.
I bore sighted it at 50 yards and was with in 6 inches of a bullseye with my first shot, it looked very promising to begin with.I went ahead and shot the rifle with the iron sights since this was the first time I had shot it. It had a loose front sight and wouldn't hold zero windage wise, I'm glad I had a couple of other rifles to shoot. Still had a good time with my son and a friend from work.:)

21 - 40 of 68 Posts