Gun and Game Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh, I could see exactly what was happening. It was a vertical stringing do to
the mount base shifting towards the muzzel. After 10 or so rounds the rear of the base would jack up a little which canted the scope towards the ground making it shoot at least 4 feet high at 50 yards, very bad, I shot over the range berm at least once. I re-torqued everything and tryed it again, this time I stopped at around 7 rounds as I could see it was going to do the same thing again. The windage was spot on untill the mount canted forward.
I bore sighted it at 50 yards and was with in 6 inches of a bullseye with my first shot, it looked very promising to begin with.I went ahead and shot the rifle with the iron sights since this was the first time I had shot it. It had a loose front sight and wouldn't hold zero windage wise, I'm glad I had a couple of other rifles to shoot. Still had a good time with my son and a friend from work.:)
What about adding another point of contact on the top portion of the mount? Like this...

That might even out the downforce on the mount and provide another contact point that would fight some of the tendency to want to shift forward or backward upon recoil.
BTW, I'm not trying to shoehorn my opinions into your design or anything, I just find these sorts of engineering puzzles to be a lot of fun. Feel free to tell me, "I've got it covered. Piss off".

-~D~-

·
Scope mount mfgr.
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Datamancer, No offence taken on the new band design to apply more down preasure on the scope mount. That may help but I believe another part of the problem is the tension bolts location on the front of the mag. The mag is tapered downward towards the muzzle, kind of a natural slid that is in the direction of the recoil. I've got a couple of ways to make it work, of course it involves more handmade parts, and it really wouldn't look to pretty. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Datamancer, No offence taken on the new band design to apply more down preasure on the scope mount. That may help but I believe another part of the problem is the tension bolts location on the front of the mag. The mag is tapered downward towards the muzzle, kind of a natural slid that is in the direction of the recoil. I've got a couple of ways to make it work, of course it involves more handmade parts, and it really wouldn't look to pretty. Thanks for the suggestion.
How does that bottom mount attach? is it just a tensioner bolt that pushes against the magazine or did you replace the bottom action bolt that connects the magazine to the barreled receiver?

-~D~-

·
Scope mount mfgr.
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
How does that bottom mount attach? is it just a tensioner bolt that pushes against the magazine or did you replace the bottom action bolt that connects the magazine to the barreled receiver?

-~D~-
Its a 1/4 inch button head machine screw with a jam-nut, lots of torque but you pretty much have to have a stop to keep a mount from moving on a Mosin.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Its a 1/4 inch button head machine screw with a jam-nut, lots of torque but you pretty much have to have a stop to keep a mount from moving on a Mosin.
Hmm, best thing I can think of is to make a custom action bolt. Something like a shouldered hex head bolt with a pocket drilled out of the center and a matching, unthreaded section on the button-head screw. That, coupled with the extra bolt I mentioned earlier, would probably make a nice, solid mount that would have no room to slide forward. Tough to describe, but here's a vector sketch..

-~D~-

·
Banned
458 Posts
Jmeck, I have great respect for you and your abilities. I'm 100% sure you'll made it work. My only advice is to remember not to consider average potential customer to have your abilities to install, tighten and adjust everything correctly. If you want to sell "worry-free" product, you may find it more beneficial and cost effective to continue to devote your effort to your original design. Even if it requires to remove some wood, it's idiot proof design, which is important n some cases... If I were you, I would offer "left side scope mount" as an option for your already proven design.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Jmeck, I have great respect for you and your abilities. I'm 100% sure you'll made it work. My only advice is to remember not to consider average potential customer to have your abilities to install, tighten and adjust everything correctly. If you want to sell "worry-free" product, you may find it more beneficial and cost effective to continue to devote your effort to your original design. Even if it requires to remove some wood, it's idiot proof design, which is important n some cases... If I were you, I would offer "left side scope mount" as an option for your already proven design.
i was thinking along those same lines. even if it does stay put, i'd rather it be under the wood like your other mount.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Anything new on the mount jmeck?

·
Scope mount mfgr.
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Anything new on the mount jmeck?
I have a new prototype Mosin Nagant side mount that uses my "band attached" low-profile scope mount base and rail, In addition to being able to mount a standard scope offset to the left so you can use your straight bolt and stripperclips, you will also be able to use this mount as a standard low-profile mount with the scope centered over the bore and a turned down bolt handle if you chose to do so.
Testing of this mount is looking favorable and unlike the side mount prototype in the begining of this post the new design does not have any issues with holding zero due to movement caused by recoil. :)

·
Scope mount mfgr.
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Here are 2 pic's of a newer sidemount proto-type using my low profile mount base and a Weaver K4 scope.
I have since made several other proto-types that are very similar and are currently being tested.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
I will also volunteer my services as a tester if needed.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,125 Posts
jmeck, I don't have one of my Mosins handy to look at to see if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but what about this as a solution to the anchoring issue? Is there any way you could use the forward action screw to lock the strap down? Machining a new screw that is slightly longer, perhaps? It might give you enough of an anchorage in addition to the existing strap to hold the mount steady.

·
Registered
255 Posts
All I have to say is.... I want one. I like the idea you had working in the prototype in the beginning of the thread. I am really against any permanent mods to the gun. My favorite 91/30 is what I would want to put one on but again I want to avoid any permanent mods to the action or stock as the rifle is in excellent condition.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts