Gun and Game Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Scope mount mfgr.
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
jmeck, I don't have one of my Mosins handy to look at to see if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but what about this as a solution to the anchoring issue? Is there any way you could use the forward action screw to lock the strap down? Machining a new screw that is slightly longer, perhaps? It might give you enough of an anchorage in addition to the existing strap to hold the mount steady.
Cyrano, I haven't totally given up on the the original external mounting design, and do in fact have plans for a similar mount with many design changes down the road, but complexity, reliability, and cost are a concern.
So for now the band mount base and rail platform, being a proven design, is the best route to take.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I like the height of eye. No point in having to raise your head away from the stock. With current stock option I've had to put on a cheek piece to get a proper site weld. Too bad I'm a lefty.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Jmeck with the band mount base and rail platform do I have to mod the stock or action at all?

·
Scope mount mfgr.
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Jmeck with the band mount base and rail platform do I have to mod the stock or action at all?
You will have to make a shallow inlet inside the stock for band clearance under the action, this is not visible when the rifle is assembled.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Could be worse I guess but I do have 1 mosin I want a mount for that I really don't want to alter at all, please let me know if you get that other design working.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just picked up this 91/30 a couple of weeks ago. Its a 1935 Tula Hex receiver with a mint bore that actually shines. I was going to test it out yesterday but I ended up having to work until 4:30 :sigh:
The scope is a Weaver K4 with fine crosshairs. The mount is a proto-type I'm working on to use on rifles that I don't want to do any modifications to. ( I will probably use it on a few rare Finns I have) It is an external band strap design (the band don't touch the stock) with a low offset rail so the straight bolt can be used. Looks? Yeah, its not to pretty, I may need to strap a cheek rest on the side of the stock for a better cheek weld but I think it will get the job done.
If it don't work to well or I don't like it I can allways mount a rail on top of the see-through base and use a turned down bolt. I'll post a range report if I get to the range next weekend.:)
Might be a bit of a suprise to see this 11 years later but I really like the design, especially the one I saw with the scope at the same hight as the Iron sight (think it was the first pictures). How is it going and did you move past the prototype stage and into production? If so do you ship to Sweden?(y)😅

61 - 68 of 68 Posts