Gun and Game Forum banner

New 995TS owner - JHP ammo question

Hi-Point 
5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  dogzebra 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, new Hi-Point 995TS owner here. This is my first carbine, and I'm looking to try a few different ammo brands. I'll be trying several 115-grain FMJ brands - Remington UMC, WWB, S & B and Blazer Brass - but also found a good deal on the UMC JHP (also 115 gr.) and will be bringing that along next time I go to the range. I have two each of the factory 10rd mags and Pro-Mag 15rd mags.

Does the 995TS handle everything pretty well, including JHPs, or should I expect pretty mixed results? How about 124gr?

#4 ·
Just following up on my own post in case anyone is interested. The 995TS worked great on its first outing, although I did have to learn the quirks of the ProMag 15-round extended mags as they had trouble with the first couple of rounds when starting out full - they need a good "love tap" when inserted. I only had a chance to shoot from around 50 feet, but once I had the mag issue sorted out, it was smooth sailing. It liked any ammo I ran through it - Remington UMC and S&B FMJs, Winchester JHPs, and I forget what else - and I was amazed at how comfortable it was to shoot.

Not sure when I'll have an opportunity to shoot from longer distances, but I have a red dot scope I want to try on it, and a lot of other ammo to experiment with. I picked up some Winchester NATO 124gr "high pressure" as well as the usual budget brands.

#5 ·
You mean you greased the firing pin channel not the rails. The firing pin channel is what holds the slide onto the receiver. The rails don't touch anything

Agreed the guns work but the construction is unique.

Clean it up, grease the slide and rails really good, apply oil every where else, and take 'er shooting.

#6 ·
I bought a new Hi-Point 995-TS the other day. I had it to the range yesterday and it shot everything(T.C.s, ball and H.P.s) it digested easily.

I didn't bother with sight adjustments, but managed to place 9 rounds on a target left out at the 200m. They were several inches low, but I was happy.

I ordered two extra mags and the stock's mag holders for it for $40. Should be here middle of next week.

Today I'm taking my P-38 and my Chrony along for some comparisons.

I hope I'll be able to upload some photos soon.

dz

#7 ·
Went to the range yesterday and played with my new Hi-Point 995-TS again. Several things I do like about this carbine are it's price (I gave $275,) several inexpensive factory accessories are offered online, it has several rails for clamping items to, even as a compact rig, it feels substantial and comfortable to shoulder(weighing in at 7lbs.,) it's rated to fire +P 9s, and after firing the first 300 rds. of various factory and reloaded cartridges, it never once jammed or failed to fire.

I had a couple boxes of 115 gr. FMJ Federals to start with. My aiming point was out at 50m, the Chrony F-1 was out about 15'. My P-38 shoots a shotgun spread at 50m using factory ammo and usually keyholes because its groove diameter measures .357"(same as my Soumi K-31.) After firing ten rounds of this combination, I averaged 1,113 FPS, with an extreme spread of 9 FPS. Using the same ammo and the 995-TS, speed increased to a 1,341 FPS average with a 21 FPS ES. The extra foot of barrel bumped the speed up 228 FPS. I was more worried about shooting my Chrony versus making tight groups, but the Hi Point managed a 4'' group.

I tried a 147 gr. lead flat nose reload, backed with 4.5 grs. of HS-6. Out of the P-38, it resulted in a 876 FPS average. The Hi Point bumped the speed to a 1,053 FPS average for another 177 FPS. As an after thought, this round gave me a 2 1/2'' group.

After two days at the range, I have to admit, I like this Hi-Point 995-TS. I haven't messed with its standard sights. I may slap an optic on it some day, but it's really fun just the way it is. I did order Hi Point's two extra mags and stock mounting clips online. $40 and they were in my mailbox on the third day.

Right now, I'm in the process of reloading some 158 gr. 9s. I hope to try them out next Tuesday.

Sorry for no pics, I haven't managed to make it work with this new format. Really takes the fun out of it for me.

dz

#8 ·
I've really enjoyed my HP 995 TS, and found it to prefer 124g NATO loads for accuracy at 50 yds., but it feeds everything pretty well. My wife seems to have taken over the 995 TS with it's Burris red dot sight as her "go-to" gun, but my elderly 995 carbine with the old style stock & factory sights still works well for me. It is mostly fed a diet of cheap Winchester 115 g white box ammo, but when I'm really trying for accuracy, the hotter, heavier loads work best. From Russian steel case to pricey HP ammo, it has very good accuracy & reliability. The only problem ammo I can recall has been aluminum case stuff from CCI.

#9 ·
I took several rifles to the range yesterday to check some reloads. I started out with the 995TS and some Federal 115gr., FMJRN nines. The speeds were all over the place, so I set the Chrony farther out and applied the light filters. The Feds then averaged 1,341 FPS, 228 FPS faster than when fired from my P-38.

I then tried out some 122 gr. lead truncated cone bullets, using 3.3 grs. of Bullseye. These won’t feed in my other auto loaders, yet the Hi Point gobbled them up like they were M&Ms. These little boogers averaged 1,231 FPS.

Next, I tried some 158 gr. JHPs, backed with 4.5 grs. of Unique. The Hornadys averaged 957 FPS, while the Winchester JHPs clocked in at 942 FPS. Nice subsonic loads that knocked bowling pins around with ease. This Hi Point maybe a less expensive firearm, but after shooting about a thousand rounds through it, it only failed to feed once, and that was because I didn’t have the mag seated properly. It ran all of my reloads and a couple of factory loads with ease.

Reactions: MoDoc
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.