Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally picked up the newest addition to my collection from my FFL: Glock 27 subcompact "baby glock" in .40S&W. It was listed as "used very little" on gunbroker and man he wasn't kidding! There's nary a scratch on it and no wear that I can tell.

Came with the old tupperware container, two 9rd mags, each with Pearce +1 baseplate/grips and one 10 round G23 mag with sleeve to fit snug in the G27. Also came with original gun lock, manual, and warranty card. Also has the "speed loader". I've already won a different auction for two 15rd G22 mags and will be getting the sleeves for them to fit the G27.

Total for the gun auction: $425 + $20 shipping + $20 transfer fee = $465.

This is my first handgun and will be my concealed carry gun; I have had my CPL (Concealed Pistol License in WA) for a few years but this is the first time I'll be able to excercise the right I've earned. I intend on going to the range to become proficient with it prior to even thinking of actually carrying it. Already picked up a Winchester White Box Value Pack 165gr at Wally World and some Federal Classic 155gr HP "For Training Only". After shooting through the Federal stuff, I intend on carrying Winchester Ranger Talon 165gr, P/N: RA40TA and practicing with the Value Packs, so that I'm using the same weight.

Pictures to come later.

:drive:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have the G-27. Nice pistol. Be sure to get some nice night sights to go on it. The little plastic front sight Glock puts on their pistols is a joke. That is my only gripe with Glock. Please make sure your carry holster covers the trigger. Don't want you to end up like that inept DEA agent that shoot himself! :)

I personally like the lighter bullet weights for the .40. Especially in the G-27. It can be a handful when shooting hot heavy rounds.

Good choice - Have fun!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picture Time!

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that it came with Trijicon Tritium Heinie night sights already installed. Also has Hogue Handall grip sleeve installed, already trimmed.

I'm likely going to end up carrying strong-side IWB with the Galco SkyOps holster. I've been torn between strong-side IWB and weak-side shoulder holster for cross-draw. With the former you don't sweep anything or anyone while drawing and it's always pointed in a safe direction. With the latter, you can draw from almost any position, standing, sitting, squating, etc. I can't see being able to draw from IWB while sitting in my car, where I spend a lot of my time. At the same time, since I already carry a pocket knife in my right pants pocket, it's become instinctual to reach down there when a weapon is needed at the ready.

Okay, enough about CCW, this is the Glock forum... PICTURES!

This is the whole package, minus the warranty and documentation:

Close-up:

Other side close-up (S/N intentionally blurred):

Shot of the sights:

The rear Heinie sight and my soft, supple hand *snicker*:

The mags with Pearce grips and the G23 with sleeve:

I have also ordered two 15 round G22 mags and two A&G sleeve adapters for them.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
just a car... let us know how accurate your glock is please sir and try the remington 165 GR. these are super accurate in my sons Glock.
If you decide you don't like the sights try Trijicon green night sites.
You've got a mighty fine pistol and as Howie would say on Deal or no Deal
you got A Great Deal,,,Don't you love not haveing all those levers to deal with on Glocks ? AH

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Perfect CCW pistol. I need something small and concealable myself.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just a car... let us know how accurate your glock is please sir and try the remington 165 GR. these are super accurate in my sons Glock.
If you decide you don't like the sights try Trijicon green night sites.
You've got a mighty fine pistol and as Howie would say on Deal or no Deal
you got A Great Deal,,,Don't you love not haveing all those levers to deal with on Glocks ? AH
I just got back from the range with my good friend. Wow... at 30 feet, I could keep 'em within 6". Now, for my Mosin Nagant, that's piss-poor, but not too shabby for a 3.5" barrel.

I loved the Winchester Whitebox Valuepack I got at Wally World. The 165gr FMJ's were nice to shoot, but the Federal Classic 155gr HP's were too snappy for me.

Actually, AH, if you look closely at the RH-side picture of the rear sights, you can kind of make out "Trijicon®" above "Ŧ® H3 00", and yes, that is a T with a cross through it.

I do, indeed love not having all those levers to deal with. I wouldn't have minded the Sig 226 with the levers it has (decocker and slide release) but I don't want to worry about fumbling with a safety when it comes to my safety.

sks forever, I would highly recommend this pistol. I let my friend shoot it and he was shooting his Ruger P90 9mm at the range. He's now seriously considering selling that and his 2" snub-nose .357magnum revolver to get one of these (oh, and to pay off the VEPR in 7.62x39 he has on layaway, hehehe).

All in all, I'm very happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
just a car thanks for the reply, did you notice how sharp & hot the report the 40 SW has (the sharp bang) ? It must be a max, high pressure cartridge. My son has 2 Glocks and I get to shoot them some times and the one you bought is the one I want to buy.
Looks like you got a dandy, enjoy it...Mike

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
the 40 is a hi pressure cartridge, and does have a little snap to it.
The Federal Classic 155gr JHP's did have a snap, but the Winchester Whitebox 165gr FMJ's didn't really have much of a snap to them. Although, I was switching between that and my Mosin Nagant 91/30... *snicker*

I also checked the cases I shot (of the Winchester) after shooting and they didn't have any bulge, just a discoloration where they were unsupported at the feedramp. I didn't use a caliper, just my calibrated eye (hehe), but I couldn't see any bulge at the base of the case.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I went to the range yesterday and I decided to shoot to the back of the range, 25 yards. I've modified my grip to have my non-trigger hand wrapped similarly to my trigger hand with the pointer finger on the trigger guard; I found I could control it better that way last time.

Moving on... I was there with two other guys, one with a FN FS2000. I aimed, got my breathing down, squeezed the trigger *BANG!*, looked down range at the target... and my jaw dropped. Then I said "Holy $h!t!". Both guys look over at me and one starts walking over. I had put my first shot not 1/4" from the center of a 1" X on a Reverse B-27 target. The guy with the FN looked at it with his scope and confirmed.

After that excitement, I went through the same aiming, breathing and whatnot *BANG!*... The hole looked bigger. I asked the guy with the scope if he could confirm that I'd just hit the X again. He said "yeah, you cloverleafed it!". The holes were touching, the second one slightly further away from the center of the X. I couldn't believe it.

Admittedly, my shooting got worse as my arms got tired and I never really did get those kinds of shots again, but it was shooting very true even with rapid fire (all 10 rounds in about 3-4 seconds); at least, rapid for me.

Then, half way through shooting I take a shot, go to aim for the next shot and notice the front sight is a black dot instead of a white one. The darn tritium tube popped out and had landed on the bench in front of me!!! I called Heinie today, but they're closed for Easter and will be open again M-F 9-2 Eastern. I'm hoping that even though I bought it second-hand, they'll fix it for free. This should not happen when using factory ammo or even with hot-loads. I checked their site, the set that's on there is the Heinie Straight Eight (non-race), $107.60; the front sight alone is $48.50.

Anyone have any experience with Heinie?

·
Registered
32 Posts
My Glock 27 is my second favorite conceal gun, second only to my 36. My only small complaint is the sharp recoil of the 40 in such a small package. With that said the accuracy was superb right out of the box. My defensive loads of choice are Corbon 135gr or Federal Hydra-Shoks

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a Glock 33 it is my off-duty gun. I Don't leave home without it. The 33 and 27 have interchangeable barrels. My wife has a G-23. These are great guns out of the box. I was a big Sig guy until I got my first Glock. I was a littel hesitant to get the 33/27, because of the small grip. I bought magazine extenders when I got the gun, I shot it the first time w/out the magazine extenders, no problem. Smooth trigger, easy to control w/out the mag extenders. If Glock only made an AK variant.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Glock 27 is my second favorite conceal gun, second only to my 36. My only small complaint is the sharp recoil of the 40 in such a small package. With that said the accuracy was superb right out of the box. My defensive loads of choice are Corbon 135gr or Federal Hydra-Shoks
Like I was mentioning, I think the lighter bullet weights seem to have a harsher recoil to them. The 155's were much worse than the 165's. I have yet to try 180's or 135's. I can comfortably shoot 165's all day.
By the way, love the Linux Penguin with the silenced MP5.:D

azguy: I was very into Sig also, but I just couldn't afford it. I still have a picture of a Sig P226 Elite in .40S&W as the wallpaper on my computer. Those rosewood grips and the beavertail are just downright sexy! Makes a form-follows-function pistol into something that's also good-looking. I've heard some say that the Sigs look like they're just very functional, but not aesthetic. Now that I have my Glock, I'll leave the picture on my computer, but it's only cause it's pretty.... not that I wouldn't buy the Sig if I had the money.:09:

Oh, and the two 15 round G22 magazines came today and they both fit nicely with very little wobble in the G27. I have two A&G grip extenders/adapters on the way to fit them properly, but I may leave them off for carrying. Just think, two 15 rd mags and a 10 rounder in the pistol. If you need more than 40 rounds of .40S&W in any situation, you did something VERY wrong a while back to put yourself in that situation.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I got a Glock 30 a few weeks ago. Took it to the range wondering if I would be able to shoot it worth a ****. To my surprise I had good aim with it and handled the 45 acp recoil no problems. Before long I was shooting 11 round runs staying center mass. Glocks are awesome guns, great for ccw . I still love my S&W M&P40 for home/land side arm carry though. I know, different forum, 'nuff said.:burnout:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the comment, pistolwhip!

Yeah, I couldn't believe how well Glocks handle or how well I was able to shoot with them.

Oh, and I love the "Critical Success" image you're using as your avatar... yes, I'm a geek. ;-)

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, an update to the Heinie/Trijicon H3 sight that popped-out at the range.

I contacted Sara Davis over at Heinie and she said to send in the sight to be repaired/replaced, but since I wasn't comfortable with removing the sight myself, I arranged with her to send the stripped-down slide and a check for $15 for return shipping.

Well, I sent it FedEx to arrive last Wednesday and it just arrived today, not 3 business days after they received it. Looks all-better now and I'm hoping I don't have the issue again, but I now know that if I do, Heinie Specialty Products, Inc. will make it right.:D

One issue I had was they sent it back packed in foam packing peanuts; I hate those things, they get everywhere. They also sent a catalog, an invoice, and a general warranty info sheet. I was kinda hopin' fer some Schwag, but I'm just happy to have my Glock 27 back in one piece again!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts