Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
once again, I have some extra stuff, and can't resist turning a pile of parts into an actual firearm.

Some of you may have seen my recent ar-15 upper build, the entire upper is new, but it is riding on an old carbine lower i've have for over a decade. it works, but there are a few areas where its lacking and i want to upgrade. the issue is that its got a staked castle nut and i really just want to leave it as is.

the second part of the equation is that once i built the new upper, I had enough parts left over to build a complete upper out of the old barrel and receiver, along with the extra parts. its a total hodge pdge, but it shoots, however it doesn't have a dedicate lower for it, and my plan is to build a new lower for the new upper and then have enough left over parts to put together the old lower as a dedicated lower for the old upper. man if that wasn't confusing idk what is.

anyways, I kinda have my heart set on a Aero precision M4E1 stripped lower. they have a few little upgrades of the standard carbine lower and they really just check off all the cool factor boxes for me. plus they aren't crazy expensive at around $100. they are not billet, but have alot of the same features that many billet lower have.

anyways. i only needed a few things like the buffer tube, castle nut, and end plate, and grip to complete it. LGS didnt have any in stock, but i found a good deal online so im having one shipped there.

more to come soon!

· Registered
9,228 Posts
I suspect Father's Day specials will be pretty good as well. I'm getting my wish list ready. Oooh, I just took a peek at my wife's Mother's Day list...I might not have the funds left over for my goodies.
once again, I have some extra stuff, and can't resist turning a pile of parts into an actual firearm.
MosinRuger, I'm looking forward to seeing your new build and a range report.

· Registered
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright well I now have everything ill need except the lower, which I will hopefully be picking up tomorrow.

Here is the parts list:
M4E1 lower aero precision $100
Aero precision Buffer tube end plate and castle nut $35
BCM MOD 3 pistol grip, FDE $20
Seekins precision ambi safety selector, FDE $30
Strike industries enhanced mag catch/release $20
Strike ind. enhanced bolt catch/release $15
Strike ind Enhanced take down pins $15

thats $235 and the rest of the parts like trigger and stock i already have so not too bad for what im hoping will be a very nice set up.

Saving Banknote Money handling Material property Money
Gadget Font Audio equipment Input device Electronic device
Font Wood Banknote Publication Metal

· Registered
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Registered
133 Posts
I have also found that guitar wall hangers work well for ar's. you can hang them but the buttstock just like a guitar but upside down sorta.
It's all about how nice you want your house to be, the setup I have blends in with the bookcase, the firearm is really clean, looks good, it's safe, easy to remove, and its kinda obscure from view.

· Registered
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright so i managed to get it 95% put together. while installing the front take down pin i shot the detent into oblivion. no biggie i have some spare on the way, believe it or not i found them on amazon with 1 day delivery!

anyways, everything went together pretty well. looks great, hope to function check soon!

one of the pics you can see the bolt catch pin on this lower is replaced with a threaded pin, so you dont have to hammer in the roll pin, makes it much easier, well see if it ever backs out on me.... also it has a tensioning screw in under the rear take down pin to keep it tight, which i did adjust alittle to take up slight amnt of slop.

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Shotgun Line
Gesture Everyday carry Finger Wood Hunting knife
Wood Material property Table Auto part Font
Computer keyboard Peripheral Input device Air gun Space bar

oh i did have to do a little work on the pistol grip tp make it fit, see the little tab on it that sticks out under the trigger guard, well for stndrd lowers thats nice as it bridges the gap between the grip and the trigger guard, but since this lower has a integral trigger guard, i needed to fille a few mm's off that little tab as it was interfering with the grip fitting snuggly in its place.

· Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Not sure how many ARs I have had over the years, but I have built all of them myself. Tinkering with guns is addicting! Aero Precision has been one of the premier manufactures of AR receivers and all things AR for quite a while.

· Registered
133 Posts
Not sure how many ARs I have had over the years, but I have built all of them myself. Tinkering with guns is addicting!!!!!
What I am into is the 100 year+ firearm puzzler that make your head explode trying to figure out the problem, finding a solution, finding parts. No guts no glory.
Nose Eyelash Orange Iris Fawn

1948 High Standard HB was a basket case.
Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Vertebrate Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Wood

· Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Reactions: neophyte
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.