Gun and Game Forum banner

New Aftermarket Marlin 60/70/795 Receiver - MCI Swordfish

19K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  SkyInJuly 
#1 · (Edited)
Presenting the MCI Swordfish:
A Marlin 60/70/795 aftermarket receiver design.
Video of CAD model:

MCI Swordfish Receiver - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PnANakpBP0]YouTube - MCI Swordfish Receiver - Style 1 - Improved Aftermarket Marlin 60/70/795 Receiver[/ame][/URL]

Style 1 -
  • Standard .22 dovetail scope groove
  • Anti-glare receiver top strap
  • Marlin pin and hole dimensions
  • Marlin bolt stop design
  • Marlin Pinned barrel design
  • Compatible with either tube or box magazine fed

Soon to come,
Style 2 -
  • Picatinny scope mount
Style 3 -
  • Picatinny scope mount
  • Threaded barrel recess
Style 4 -
  • Picatinny scope mount
  • Threaded barrel recess
  • Left hand ejection port & charging handle

Pricing: Highly cost prohibitive, unless you want a custom one-off, in which case we shall CNC one for you.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
have you considered making a high quality rifle with the threaded barrel?
I'm a bit lost on why I would want a pinned barrel upgrade.
Yes, if you see the variations listed under the picture and video, I show the different styles I'm going for, Styles 3 & 4 include a threaded barrel design.

Style 1 is just a reverse engineering of the factory Marlin receiver, I'm working on rounding out the series, which will include a threaded barrel.

Here's Style 2, this one has an integral M1913 Picatinny rail, like you see on some aftermarket 10/22 receivers:

MCI Swordfish Receiver - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW8NVXs4GCU]YouTube - MCI Swordfish Receiver - Style 2 - Improved Aftermarket Marlin 60/70/795 Receiver[/ame][/URL]

#4 · (Edited)
Go straight to #3, make a thousand or so of 'em, and folks will beat a path to your door.
Do it right and you become the Next Volquartzen.

The thing Marlin has been behind the times on is sticking with Pinned Barrels...
granted, the Micro-groove barrel is really sweet, but they need to be threaded,
so folks can upgrade to heavy target barrels with ease on the 795.
Its understandable on the 60, as the tube mag prevents heavy barrel use...

Left hand receivers would also need a left-side bolt & left-side extractors/ejectors...which nobody makes for Marlins.

Cost per goes down when you make tons of 'em, which would make them viable for lots of sales ;)

Good ideas, keep at it :)

#5 ·
And, by popular demand, the threaded barrel variant:

Style 3
Same as Style 2, but eliminates the magazine tube slot and barrel pin, and replaces them with a 5/8 - 11 threaded barrel channel, for aftermarket barrels to be used.

I didn't want to shrink the barrel recess anymore, since its already fairly small, so I had to make this design a box magazine fed only variant, as the tube magazine placement would get too close to the barrel threads.

CAD Video of Style 3:
MCI Swordfish Receiver - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luKX7Cn48u0]YouTube - MCI Swordfish Receiver - Style 3 - Improved Aftermarket Marlin 60/70/795 Receiver[/ame][/URL]

#6 ·
Left hand receivers would also need a left-side bolt & left-side extractors/ejectors...which nobody makes for Marlins.
Maybe...

The factory bolts would need to have a cutout put on the opposite for the charging handle, but thats a simple and cheap operation, even one possible for folks at home.

The Marlin 700 I have in pieces in front of me has dual extractors, left and right, so it wouldn't need residgned extraction. Are other Marlins single-side extractor only???

As for the ejector, I already have the solution to that, the factory bolt also has a channel cut so that the ejector bar can be reversed. BUT, since the ejector bar is part of the same piece of sheet metal as the magazine release, I'll just replace the little sheet metal clip, and have a larger, easier to use magazine release, AND the ability to move the ejector to the right hand side of the action, to kick out left.

Left hand conversion:

- New cut made in factory bolt (couple bucks in labor on my/buyers end)
- Reversed charging handle (cheap cast pot metal)
- New ejector bar/magazine release (about 1sq in of sheet metal, folded 3 times)

#8 ·
Nathangdad further clarifies post

What I mean is your firm having a threaded receiver to which you screw in a high quality barrel then continue until you have a really high quality, acccurate .22 for sale.

I feel this gun, at an affordable price, could really make a dent in the Ruger/Marlin .22 market.

Best wishes.

#9 ·
Well everyone, thanks for all the ideas and feedback, if you like it let me know, if you think it won't float, let me know.
I'm humming right along since yesterday, finished up the bolt/charging handle/action sideplates/stock/ & barrel, so the mockup CAD model is starting to look like a rifle...
Hopefully by tomorrow I can blueprint the rest of the small parts...

I went with a benchrest style stock design, didn't worry about it too much, but I did take the time to copy the Marlin factory inletting, so this stock would be compatible with all other Marlin 70/700/7000/795 rifles, and stocks for those rifles would work on the MCI Swordfish.

#10 ·
And make the reciever threading the same as the ones for the 1022, so it'll accept all barrels made nowadays... :)

Be nice to slap any good/great aftermarket barrel in there :)

It's not like Marlin is making the 7000 anymore...dangit.

#11 ·
Alrighty, well after due consideration and listening to others much appreciated input (mostly from RFC and ARFCOM), I have come to a few conclusions:

• The receiver is not a viable business opportunity, at least not at this time
  • Improved replacement stocks are a viable business opportunity, but Boyds is expected to fill that void soon by making the Marlin 60 Ross Thumbhole stock a regular item.
  • An extended magazine release is a viable product, which I am currently working on, with a rough concept shown below, it would be over twice the length of the miniscule factory magazine release tab.
  • A drop in trigger improvement would be great, but is currently inconceivable in how it could be compacted in about a .75 cubic inch space, in order to only replace the factory trigger and trigger guard, and give a mechanical advantage to the sear release bar.

Installation of this new mag release would involve action disassembly, removing the pin that holds the combined ejector bar/magazine release with the mag well, replacing the stamped metal part, and reassembling. Stay tuned for further development:

#12 ·
The drop-in trigger's pretty well covered by DIP along with the trigger guards...
Diversified Innovative Products - Product Detail - Limited Edition M60 "Pink" Trigger Guard - $53.97

I'll definitely get in line for a mag release!! It'll make one of my planned stock changes (bullpup) a LOT easier to mag-switch!!
Ain't much room in those bullpupstocks.com mag wells...a mag release will resolve the only issue that stock has :D

Boyd's stocks solves ONE style stock for the 795...there are many other styles we wish were out there ;)

Examples:
Ramline's folding stock, hasn't been made since 1995. Wimps.
Boyd's Evolution-style stock...never made for the 795 or 60. I'd grab one!
All those nifty stocks you see for 1022's, if inlet for 795's, would make someone a fortune.
I wanna see a tommy gun kit & an MG42 kit & a P-90 kit...only way to do those now is hack an Airsoft rifle and stick a 795 in.

So...how about a 30-round Metal magazine for the 795? :D

#14 · (Edited)
I agree with Big Shrek's idea for metal 30-round mags for the 795. That would get you a LOT of money.

My main suggestion, however, is that you make some good quality, but SIMPLE (I hate those flashy Boyd's thumbhole stocks) walnut stocks with pre-installed swivel studs for the 795. Make them essentially the same thing as the factory synthetic ones, just made of walnut. I guarentee you, lots of people would buy them. I know I would. The only ones currently being sold right now are from Numrich, and they suck pretty hard. I know this because I had three of them. They aren't even walnut or any kind of real wood. They're laminate, which makes them almost impossible to fix up yourself. They all had the same defects. They were machined asymmetrically, improperly, and carelessly, and they all had defects that would annoy the f**k (excuse my language) out of anybody who cares about the way their rifle looks. For example, EVERY time I received a stock from them, one side of the barrel channel/forearm was bigger and not sanded as well as the other. On top of that, they didn't even come with swivel studs. It frustrated me to the point where I almost took a sledgehammer to the damned thing :zx11pissed:

#16 ·
Uh, big shrek, you're behind the power curve. Boyds DOES make an Evolution for the Marlin 60s & 795s:

Replacement Stocks for Marlin
They're $99.
LOL, hadn't read my email from Boyd's....I've been hoping for these for almost two years!
Three weeks of 6-day workweeks has made me fall behind a bit...only have to work 4 days next week,
so I'll catch up on a lot then ;)

Heck, I've still got my projects on hold...three of which really need to get completed.

#17 · (Edited)
I learned a year ago don't spend a 1000 bucks to make a 200 dollar gun shoot like a 600 dollar gun, just buy the 600 dollar gun.
Bought a 1022, didn't ya...shoulda just got one of the Volquartzen versions at $600-999 ;)

That's kind of the angle the Swordfish could take. We've shown what microgroove barrels can do over the years...
mate 'em with an advanced billet receiver & better made bolts (like they were in the 60's-70's) and
that gives you the VQ-style advantage.
There are people out there who have learned that the Ruger 1022 SUCKS, but a Volquarzen version is Precise.

Marlin already has a very precise rifle due to the microgroove barrels...they just need to up the receiver & bolt quality.
The Swordfish upgrades would do the job. Or heck, just cut a deal with Marlin to have him make the receiver for them.
That'd rock anyone's profit margin ;)

For those who've not tried to pull & replace a Marlin pin-in barrel, itsa a total PITA.
Its easiest with a press, doing it without one is a recipe for disaster. There are many receivers that have been ruined
by someone with a mini-sledge & a steel rod attempting to bash out the barrel.
Then trying to press one in without a press...bad things can happen. The pin-in system works great
for OEM installation, but most home-gunsmiths don't have access to a press to make an upgrade.
The Swordfish changes the playing field by allowing EASY to exchange screw-in barrels.
The only downside would be the cost...which should be on par with Volquarzen's prices.

VQ made their money initially by doing small parts, then they started making more & more things until
they were making Everything for the 1022...and finally made better 1022's than Ruger ever dreamed of.
Now VQ makes bank...and some exceptionally precise rifles, not to mention some of the best looking rifles on earth :)
Swordfish could easily go that direction...might take 10-15 years, like it did VQ, but it would eventually pay off!

Take it another direction...what performance parts would make the most profit per piece??
In Manufacturing, the more you make of something, the lower the piece cost...so making a small, simple part
brings you back the most profit, which you then feed into getting more CNC machines...
which allows you to make Other parts...and scads of them...which make you more profit...
Can anyone think of a car parts business that started roughly like that?? I know I can...they call 'em Edelbrock.

#19 ·
Presenting the MCI Swordfish:
A Marlin 60/70/795 aftermarket receiver design.
Video of CAD model:

MCI Swordfish Receiver - [ame=[MEDIA=youtube]-PnANakpBP0[/MEDIA] - MCI Swordfish Receiver - Style 1 - Improved Aftermarket Marlin 60/70/795 Receiver[/ame][/URL]

Style 1 -
  • Standard .22 dovetail scope groove
  • Anti-glare receiver top strap
  • Marlin pin and hole dimensions
  • Marlin bolt stop design
  • Marlin Pinned barrel design
  • Compatible with either tube or box magazine fed

Soon to come,
Style 2 -
  • Picatinny scope mount
Style 3 -
  • Picatinny scope mount
  • Threaded barrel recess
Style 4 -
  • Picatinny scope mount
  • Threaded barrel recess
  • Left hand ejection port & charging handle

Pricing: Highly cost prohibitive, unless you want a custom one-off, in which case we shall CNC one for you.
Are you still capable of making me a style #1? I'm dead ending on finding one so CNC is only option for me to get this build going. Material you would be using and? and pricing? Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.