close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New AR build 7.62x39

Discussion in 'AR15' started by Jaison, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Jaison

Jaison A tale of a forlorn trash panda Forum Contributor

Yonder
    Legitimate build here. No zombie squishing going on. Lol!

Been toying with the idea of a 7.62x39 MSR for well over a year. After researching other calibers and true hunting rifles (many, many thanks for the G&G input!), I decided to start an Iron Curtain/USA hybrid build.

Visited a LGS today who had a sale on Bear Creek uppers. I ordered one and am hoping to get a matching lower in the next couple weeks. Will upgrade the hammer spring and firing pin accordingly.

I've been reading the reviews on Bear Creek and they seem to have really stepped up their game.

Will probably switch out the hand guard for a free float rail, or might just keep glass and no irons.

Will get photos up asap.

Ah, a new build! Something to get out of bed for in the morning! Lol!

TXplt, Wicked109, rando and 3 others like this.
  2. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Evangelist

I had one for a while I really miss it now but I had to get the AC fixed (lived in SW Az at the time) so off it went. I want to build another then the funds allow.

The upgraded hammer spring and firing pin I think are a must. If you have a problem with feeding I've heard of folks opening up the feed ramps to make a single large feed ramp in the upper. I would only suggest that as a last ditch move but if I remember correctly Bushmaster was doing that back in the day too. Keep us updated as your build progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaison likes this.

3. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

I applaud your enthusiasm, BUT with the inherent problems of the tapered case of the 7.62x39 cartridge, the AR/AK "hybrid" game has been messy. The AR 300AAC Blackout bypasses all that, AND uses standard AR15 magazines, AND uses .308 diameter bullets, which come in SO MANY different configurations (as compared to .311 bullets for AK/SKS).

The ballistics of a 125 grain 300BLK are almost identical to a 7.62x39 with 123 grain bullet.

SKS NOOB and Big Dog like this.
  4. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    So is your new Poodle Shooter piston-driven or direct impingement?

5. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Evangelist

I've had my 7.62x39 upper for a while and I can honestly say ANY problems that I have had with it were due to the magazines. BUT, when I have made sure that the rear of the round was at the furthest position in the back of the mag, they always fed properly. Of course, if you are in a combat situation where the mags were banged around some, I think feeding problems might occur. But bench shooting or even hunting, it would work fine. BTW I REALLY like 300 BO, but until I am PERMITTED to have a reloading station I will have to buy over the counter stuff. Ozark Ordnance closed shop and a new one took it's place. Meaning, they bought the location and equipment and rehired the veterans that worked there. I can't remember the name right now.

Ten Man, rando and Jaison like this.
  6. Jaison

Yonder
    Direct, Cyrano.

7. Jaison

Yonder
    Picked up two C-Products mags and a Vortex Diamondback 08 BDC scope.

This scope is much better than any other I've used. It's going to take a bit to get used to the magnification and reticle features, but it was on sale so I gave it a new home.

Anyone have experience with this particular optic?

TXplt likes this.
  8. ghost_raven

ghost_raven G&G Evangelist

The scope on my 6.5 Grendel is a Vortex Diamondback... liking it so far, though admittedly my experience with scopes is minimal.

Jaison likes this.
  9. Jaison

Yonder
    Got a Burris, Barska and Simmons on various pew sticks. Grew up with the venerable Tascos.

This puppy has range finding, bullet drop and windage features that I'm not familiar with.

Can't wait to get it atop the AR and 'learn up' on this baby. If it works well and I somehow become competent with it, it'll be a game changer.

Ten Man likes this.
  10. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland

Jaison likes this.
  11. Jaison

Yonder
    Good to know, rando! I remember when the Bear Creek/Moore's name got tarnished by quality control issues.

It's good to see they seem to have fixed all that. Really looking forward to this build.

12. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

EXACTLY!! The tapered shape of the 7.62x39 requires a CURVED magazine. The AR15 was designed for a STRAIGHT magazine. The "Hybrid" is like sticking a round peg in a square hole, and leads to spotty function. That was why the 300AAC Blackout became such a hit. That, and the Suppressor capability.

SKS NOOB likes this.
  13. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Evangelist

In the end, one might as well get something like this if they can afford it. The upper receiver is proprietary because of the width of the top of an AK mag. I've made mine work with the AR mags and I trust it in most situations.
    https://www.mgi-military.com/store/index.php?product_id=178&type=&category=10

14. Jaison

Yonder
    Thanks for the input.

As it stands, a 300 Blackout is in the future, hopefully after the HPA passes, but either way, would like to do a suppressed SBR at some point.

I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger on this build. One of the issues that held it up was the mag feed problems. From what I'm reading from reputable sources (and YouTube ninjas), C-Prod, at least, has solved the problems.

TXplt, rando and SKS NOOB like this.
  15. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Jaison the C-Products are good and I also use a lot of ASC Mags. Look at Ammo Storage Component's site. They make any caliber and in different round mags. I buy from them

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Ten Man, SKS NOOB and Jaison like this.
  16. Jaison

Yonder
    Excellent! Thanks!

17. ACfixer

ACfixer Global Warming Enthusiast Forum Contributor Forum Contributor

L35-KAPV
    Well the obvious advantage of the AK round v. the 300 Blackout is the ammo availability and cost. The thing that's always kept me away from the build aside from the inherent feeding issues (which evidently can be solved) is that surplus AK ammo is generally filthy, and dirty ammo and the AR platform just don't jive like it does with the Kalashnikov made from stamped crap metal. I've seen nice(r) 7.62 x 39 ammo, but it's like $450 per 1,000 and most of the stuff I've seen is round nose and out of OAL specs.

If you just gotta do it, then yeah why not? But personally I think you'll end up with a mutt you'll constantly be tinkering with. An AK in .223 works, but I'm really skeptical about the opposite.

TXplt and Ten Man like this.
  18. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

To me .300 blackout will never be "just as good" as 7.62x39 until it matches it in price and availability.
    Heck, at this point it is rarely as good as 30-30 on that basis.

It's like three equally tasty and tender steak offerings.
    7.62x39 is getting all you can eat of that steak at a reasonably-priced buffet with a name like Cattleman's Ranch, but you will be tempted to eat it really quick.

30-30 is like getting a large steak at one of those places "only the locals know" (like Breck's in North Charleston), and being in the type of atmosphere that allows you to slowly savor it.

.300 blackout is like going to a "bistro" named something like De Dessous Fromage, where the staff is so obnoxious you want to eat it fast, but the cost is so high you feel like you should be savoring every bite.

rando, SKS NOOB and Jaison like this.
  19. Jaison

Yonder
    I get that analogy, sir. Well done (or, rather, medium-rare?;)).

20. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    Don't be discouraged jaison. I've built a number of these out of Anderson Rifles products and following minimal time with a dremel, they all ran superb. Personally though, I've always been an open sight guy with my X39s. If I can help, don't hesitate.

Jaison likes this.