close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Big Boy 44 mag

Discussion in 'Henry' started by Kenbike, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Kenbike

Kenbike G&G Newbie

Ohio just announced it will allow rifles that are chambered for smooth case pistol calibers. I have been in the market for Henry 44 mag so decided to purchase as soon as when was found. Took it home last night and fired 50 rounds.
    Great action, easy pointer and not bad recoil. Was using 240 gr JHP
    Great fit and finish and machine work a top notch product.

Undecided if I will install a low power scope or go with peep sites. Most shot will be 75 - 100 yards. Will try some wild pig hunting also.
    Any advice on sites vs scope welcome.

2. 99dragon99

99dragon99 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

CONGRATS! That is one on my wishlist!

While I don't have a scope suggestion... my dad has a Ruger .44 carbine with flipable scope mounts... long shots with a scope and short shots with iron sights...

3. you could split the difference and use a red-dot or HALO type sight. Very small and light, and quick to aim with.

I would have bought the 45colt version myself because bigger is always better when hunting with pistol cartridges. But, the .429magnum should handle the job fine if you do your part.

4. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Congratulations on your new lever gun. Lots of great factory loads for the 44 Magnum and it is an easy cartridge to reload also. I just got a Rossi in 357 magnum and am still undecided whether to scope it or not.

Post a picture of your Henry, we love our gun pics on G&G...

rando likes this.
  5. D Crockett

D Crockett G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Florida
    Kenbike I have had it in my mind to get one of those Henrys ever sence my son has clamed my 44mag marlin. I am hoping it is as sweet as the 22lr is good luck with it D Crockett

6. Kenbike

Kenbike G&G Newbie

I put 50 rounds thru the Henry and what a nice shooting rifle.
    Used 240 gr jhp at 50 yards offhand and did fine.
    I found a really cool leather cover at"gunstockcovers.com"
    Going get the cover and sling that does not require drilling. It will take 2 months for delivery.

7. Earl Easter

Earl Easter Pheasant Hunter Forum Contributor

That is on my list as well. Congratulations you have a well built gun.

jwrauch and rando like this.
  8. Michael Cox

Michael Cox G&G Regular

I have the Big Boy Steel in 44 Magnum. I can highly recommend it for quality and the effectiveness of the round from a rifle. It handles well and is more accurate than I am. :)

rando and SUBMOA like this.