Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started a build for one of my daughters (building her an AR for a surprise Christmas present)... She's 31 and shoots with me often

18" Faxon 5.56 barrel
15" ultralight Timber Creek handguard
Magpul MOE stock
Hogue monogrip
Anderson lower
RRA upper
Rise Armament Rave 140 3.5lb dropin trigger
Timber Creek heartbreaker muzzle brake (yes, heart shaped ports)
BAD lever, oversized trigger guard and POF ambi charging handle
Brownells lightweight BCG
Sig Romeo5 red dot plus MBUS flip up front and back
S&W M&P lower parts kit
Brownells gas tube
Brownells 20rd aluminum mags
Midwest Industries low profile gas block
Oh... And giving her 400rds of .223

I think she'll be surprised (she loves shooting my other AR15s and AR10)

1125201508.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
If you dont mind me asking, how did you come across the RRA Upper? They are all back ordered I thought or basically months of waiting. I bought an upper and a receiver back during Obama days and was hard to get then. I waited 6 months then. I was on their site the other day. I hope the build goes well and your Daughter will surely be surprised

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you dont mind me asking, how did you come across the RRA Upper? They are all back ordered I thought or basically months of waiting. I bought an upper and a receiver back during Obama days and was hard to get then. I waited 6 months then. I was on their site the other day. I hope the build goes well and your Daughter will surely be surprised
It's a T-marked model, bought it at least a year ago when I ran across it hanging on a rack at LGS... Had it in the package unopened ever since

Finish matches the Anderson lower just "ok"... But the fitment seems perfect

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a T-marked model, bought it at least a year ago when I ran across it hanging on a rack at LGS... Had it in the package unopened ever since

Finish matches the Anderson lower just "ok"... But the fitment seems perfect
1126200905.jpg

Reactions: Huey Rider

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It turned out well... I like it and I know my daughter will as well

Well balanced and lightweight (even with 18" barrel)

Now I need to get it to the range to test fire!

1127201337.jpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All went well with maiden voyage for the AR

Used some steel cased 55gr ammo and my daughter enjoyed the chance to shoot this lightweight rifle.

The only occasional difficulty was the cheap 20rd aluminum mags... They did not perform well. Several failures to hold open on last round and one was mis- manufactured (wouldn't fit in magwell)

A great father-daughter date at shooting range!

Collage 2020-11-29 15_31_50~2.jpg

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
All went well with maiden voyage for the AR

Used some steel cased 55gr ammo and my daughter enjoyed the chance to shoot this lightweight rifle.

The only occasional difficulty was the cheap 20rd aluminum mags... They did not perform well. Several failures to hold open on last round and one was mis- manufactured (wouldn't fit in magwell)

A great father-daughter date at shooting range!

View attachment 157150
Very nice build, and I'm sure it will be something she cherishes for the rest of her life.

I've been piecing together a build for my son as his USAF tech school graduation gift. The Aero Precision nitride BCG just arrived yesterday, and I finished putting it together this afternoon. I also ordered a Sig Romeo 5 as a Christmas gift to put on top of his.

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
how do you screw up an AR-15 magazine?
that's like screwing up 30-30 or 30-06 ammo.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They were some aluminum 20rd mags I bought in bulk

I will only buy steel or polymer from now on

·
Premium Member
23,696 Posts
There are lots of totally reliable aluminum magazines for the AR15 made by C-Products, D&H, ASC and several other companies. Don't miss a good buy just because some off brand mags didn't perform.

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
for a while there it seemed like the U.S Government was buy magazines from anybody with a spot welder and a metal press.
they were of course inspected etc. but I think many would be surprised at how many 3-4 man shops was supplying uncle sam.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
for a while there it seemed like the U.S Government was buy magazines from anybody with a spot welder and a metal press.
they were of course inspected etc. but I think many would be surprised at how many 3-4 man shops was supplying uncle sam.
Yep and I've seen a bunch of supposed "GI" magazines that probably wouldn't function.
Your tax dollars at work.
Personally I use Magpul and that's it.
Old way was to load an Al mag up let it sit for about a week then range test it.
And then always down load by two.
If it passed with no malfunctions okay.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,271 Posts
Aluminum mags were designed to be left on the ground after one use. Most common issues were feed lips widening.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
19,615 Posts

I will only buy steel or polymer from now on
There are lots of totally reliable aluminum magazines for the AR15 made by C-Products, D&H, ASC and several other companies. Don't miss a good buy just because some off brand mags didn't perform.
Yep and I've seen a bunch of supposed "GI" magazines that probably wouldn't function.
Your tax dollars at work.
Personally I use Magpul and that's it.
Old way was to load an Al mag up let it sit for about a week then range test it.
And then always down load by two.
If it passed with no malfunctions okay.
Aluminum mags were designed to be left on the ground after one use. Most common issues were feed lips widening.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game
I have had such wonderful luck with Magpul PMAGs of all kinds I seldom use anything else--they're durable and rugged and I've seldom encountered problems with them. AR, CZ scorpion, even in the 9mm for the G17 and 19.

And unlike the stoners they don't have sharp edges.

There ARE some quality stoners out there though (and I have some of these but don't much use them). For those who like the metal ones. But I just haven't found anything wrong with the PMAGs so have largely stuck with those.

Reactions: 455rocket
1 - 17 of 17 Posts