close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Caliber ??????

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by colt45, Jun 4, 2002.

1. What do you guys think?

I'm going to have "E.R. Shaw" rebarrle another mauser for me.
    I allready have one in: 308, 30-06, 300Win Mag., 338-06 aikly improved and the original 8MM.(can't tell I like mauser actions can you?)
    I was thinking of something long range and fast like a 22-250 or 25-06.
    I have to stay with the longer case for feeding problems.
    so I thought I would ask you guys.
    I want to use it for ground hogs, coyotes, maybe a fox or crow at about 200 to 400 yards. not to many places I can shoot farther than this around here.
    So what do you think?
    22-250?
    25-06?
    or something I haven't mentioned?
    :confused:

2. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

22/250 is a great performer and is responsible for lots of dead yote's

3. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Just my opinion, but .243 is one of the flatest shooting rounds I've hunted with, do alot of powerline hunting. But I still love my 7mm mauser...does evrything I need it to and doesn't break your shoulder. Good Shooting! Eric

If you're set on one of the two, I love the 25-06 round.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2002
  4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The 25-06 would give you additional capability for deer and is better if you need the extra case length, but I'm a dedicated .22-250 fan. Either one is superb for varminting.

5. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

Actually, I'd probably go with a 270 next. They're reloader friendly, and are pretty broad spectrum. They're flat shooting enough, mild enough, and potent enough to do just about anything deer sized and below out to 400 yards. If you do go that route, try and find a barrel with a slower rate of twist than normal to stabilize the smaller bullets a little better.

6. My browning is a 243. so I have that one covered.
    I just took in a savage 111G on trade at the shop in 270 Its not in any condition I would sell it in so I'll jsut keep it for a better gun or for when you hear ooops I forgot my gun at home from a hunting budy that really likes to shoot my browning.
    So I supose its down to a 22-250 or the 25-06.
    My budy keeps harping on a 261 something or other or a 7x57 muaser(I just tune him out).
    Most of the shots I'm gona get at anything requireing larger than a 22 diameter bullet are gona be less than 200 yards anyway.
    so I think I'll end up with a 22-250.
    But then again I most likely change my mind several times between here and the E.R. Shaw factory. (about 3 1/2 hour drive)
    Thanks for the input guys.