Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that Glock is coming out with a 45 caliber cartridge in its own name. It's supposed to be the same ballistically as 45 ACP, but short enough for Glock's shorter actions. It does this presumably by using more modern powders and materials than were used in the original 45 ACP. Kind of does for 45 ACP what 40 S&W did for the reduced 10mm loads used by police.

Any thoughts, opinions?

I don't think it'll ever be as popular as the 45, or any other for that. Only reason the 40 won over the 10mm was that the 10mm wasn't very old and established.

But... If this means they might make a Steyr M series in this caliber... :D

I'll take a 45 ACP first, but I'd take this round over my 40.

L

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't take a .45 over my .40....but the .45 Glock may not catch on like the .41AE, 10mm, .41 Magnum, 9x23 and many others (the 10mm and .41 Magnum have strong cult followings that keep them from disappearing from dealers shelves completely). The .45 Glock is supposed to be the same size sidearm as the Glock 17/22/31....It looks like they are trying to widen their market share by appealing to that segment of the market that swears by Glocks and .45s

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't really see how the cartridge has much of a future... I certainly can't see that it has the potential to do to the .45 ACP what .40 S&W did to the 10mm. Not only is the .45 a LONG established cartridge, but the .40 filled a legitimate niche, where I don't believe anybody is out there saying "I love .45 ACP, but the guns that shoot it are just too big! Why can't somebody make a medium-frame .45?" I think it's a solution in search of a problem. I'm also pretty sure that the lack of a 230 grain bullet is going to hurt badly, as I believe that's by far the most popular .45 ACP weight.

-Bert

L

·
0 Posts
there are an awful lot of people who like .45s and an awful lot more who like Glocks

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have to agree with Bert. The only advantage the .45Glock offers is a smaller Glock in .45 cal. I really don't see anyone jumping at this cartridge. Even those people like myself that wanted to carry a compact in .45ACP didn't look for a new cartridge, we just called up Kimber and bought one. I see this cartridge going the same place the 9x18 Ultra went.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
This is the first I've heard of this, and I'm not sure that I understand the point of the round. "Shorter action Glocks?"

Glock makes at least two short action Glocks....the 36 Slimline, and the (can't remember the number) Baby Glock in 45acp.

Mind ya, I'm a Glock fanatic.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
This kinda brings up a good question on the Glocks.
They have .380 Glocks that cannot be imported due to restrictions under the GCA of '68. They don't fit into the minimum required dimensions for a "sporting pistol". Now, if they are developing a shorter action for Glocks, how would they make it in the country? The sub-Glocks are at the very bottom limit in size for importation. And, they are chambered for the Big 3, plus .357 Sig. How could they possibly want to make another caliber that probably won't last very long? I would say they need to make a carbine for self-defense and police cruisers. THAT would be the more practical idea! At least I think it would be......:confused:

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I'd sure give a Glock carbine a try......

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd be all in favor of a Glock carbine too. Wish there were more carbines and competition out there.

Far as Glock size goes, they're not making a new shorter action Glock, rather making a 45 that fits in their existing 9mm/357/40 frame. I think that would open up possibilities of 45 caliber versions of other pistols, like Beretta, Steyr, Springfield XD, and the like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts