New Century Arms CETME owner question

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jbthebuckeye, Apr 2, 2007.

1. jbthebuckeye

jbthebuckeye G&G Newbie

I'm new to the board and first time CETME owner. I just bought a Century Arms CETME sporter at a gun show this weekend for $399 plus tax. It came with 3- 20 rd steel mags. I think it was an ok deal as the gun seems to be in good condition, although I have not had a chance to fire it yet. I do have a question if I may. It has what seems to be a FAL muzzle break and bayonette lug (I will attempt to add images), is that what it is? Anyway I am still doing more research. Any comments welcome and appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

First off, Welcome to G&G!

You're right, that does indeed appear to be an FAL flash hider on there. My guess is the previous owner either didn't like what what on there and cut it off, as it looks rather short, or it didn't have a flash hider to begin with.

Go take a look at my post about my little CETME problem-child: http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/g3-cetme/34020-i-couldnt-hold-out.html
    I have pics there and a link in my post on 1-02-2007 at 10:50pm.

My CETME has the 12-hole muzzle break, rather than the flash hider.

Honestly, I like the look of the British FAL flash hider that you have installed. I was wanting to pick up an AES-10 and fit that flash hider to it; I think it would give it a Dragunov SVD look. :D

Hope that helps.
    :drive:

3. jbthebuckeye

jbthebuckeye G&G Newbie

Thanks for the reply and the welcome.
    I will do some hardcore cleaning and get a few rounds down range this weekend. Range report to follow.
    Oh yeah, so if I want to mount a bayo will it have to be one that fits the FAL???:34:

4. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

That's likely the case. :sad:

5. Dale

Dale G&G Newbie

It doesn't resemble the flash hider on my CIA CETME.

I know when shooting mine the concusion is numbing.

Let us know how your's shoots.

Hopefully the previous owner has gotten all of the bugs worked outta yours.

They are great guns and you got a very respectable bargain.

6. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

That certainly looks like a Brake from an L1A1...Never seen one come from the factory like that, not that it couldnt have...The FAL bayonet I have will NOT work on that Brake/ flashhider. I don't think a regular Cetme Bayonet would either, but trying one is your best bet. I can give you the measurements if you need them !
    Rich

7. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

Yeah, the CETME bayo will definitely not work. And, personally, I think the tubular-handled FAL bayonets are some of the ugliest bayos I've ever seen... BUT, the L1A1's are pretty decent looking, but not easy to find, nor cheap. They are out there though: GunBroker.com Item 68875282 [Ends Apr-03-07 01:04:23 PM] Australian L1A1 FAL Bayonet w/scabbard

:drive:

8. wolverine

wolverine G&G Newbie

400 bucks for a CETME is a steal. Ive seen them go as high as 800-850 on GB and AA. The factory bayo wont fit a century muzlle break ata ll. You can mod a M16 bayo to fit but it isnt easy.

SW

9. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

My factory CETME bayonets will mount with the Century MB, but they fit very loose and sloppy. If the FAL flash hider is standard NATO 22mm size, the bayo might fit on it, but you'd need the bayo lug cap that mounts on the front of the cocking tube.

10. Uncle Red

Uncle Red G&G Newbie

I bought a CETME about a year ago (private sale) with 4 G3 mags and one CETME mag, wood stocks and sling for $375. I shoot about 3" to 3 1/2" at 100 Yd. w/ iron sights. This winter I put an inexpensive Simmons 3-9x50 on top and added the bayo lug w/ cleaning tube (Centerfire Systems - $7.97). Have not had a chance to take her out to sight in the scope yet. I'm hopping to shrink my groups now.

I agree w/ Wolverine $400 is a pretty good price. Now, how dose she shoot?

-UR

P.S. Did I mention it was a private sale? :)

11. jbthebuckeye

jbthebuckeye G&G Newbie

Well I couldn't wait until the weekend and took off work early today to run a few rounds thru my new CETME. I have to say that I think it's going to be a really nice rifle. I used 40 rounds of the South African 7.62x51mm ammo. It was about 35 degrees and blowing snow. At 50 yards it grouped well although it is about 6"-8" high with the 100 yard iron sight, and worse with the 200 yard peep. The windage is right on. I moved to the 100 yard range and still it was grouping well but still high, say 4"-6" with the 100 yard iron sight, and again worse with the 200 yard peep. I was able to compensate and keep in the black, but came home and ordered the CETME sight tool to correct the elevation. The recoil is not bad at all, but it's **** loud! 1 out of 3 steel mags failed to chamber the final round, so I think they'll be fine as well, maybe some cleaning. Overall I'm pretty satisfied for the money, if the elevation will correct.
    As for the bayonet....after some more research I believe it is a British L1A1 FAL muzzel break, so I ordered a British L1A3 bayonet pictured as it should fit. I added a pic of a British L1A1 FAL SLR showing the muzzle break I believe I have on my CETME.

Attached Files:

12. jbthebuckeye

jbthebuckeye G&G Newbie

Problem with the CETME

Ok...so here's the issue. While firing the CETME every now and again it will fire 2 rounds in rapid succession. This olny seems to happen when I apply slow and steady pressure to the trigger...no jerk at all. It will fire correctly, one round at a time, for 5-10 rounds.....then for no apparent reason TAP-TAP two rounds from one trigger pull. If I pull the trigger very rapidly it never seems to happen.
    I know I will have to take it to a smith to be fixed...but has anyone had this happen before? Any help appreciated.
    Other then this malfunction the gun shoots great. :shrug:

13. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

Sounds like you might just be inadvertantly doing a bump-fire, as described/seen here: http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/sks/36749-video-bump-slam-fire.html

Your hand may still be 'squeezing' after the recoil of the rifle forces the trigger back past where it can 'reset' and as your hand/finger finishes squeezing, it fires the second shot.

May not be a smith-necessary issue, but it's the first I've heard of a CETME doing this.

14. wolverine

wolverine G&G Newbie

Did you clean the firing pin channel? Its not easy to take the bolt apart to do it but it is a possibility you have crud in there that is jamming the firing pin once in a while. Try sprying the whole botl down with strong brake cleaner and let it air dry. Re-oil and try again.

SW

15. knightRider

knightRider G&G Newbie

where can you buy these i want one?

16. BFRANKlin

BFRANKlin Suspended

The CETME must be absolutely clean and grease free, especially the fluted chamber. Then only lightly oil the sliding parts. Mine has the standard bayo mounts and shorty flash hider. Shoots good and seems accurate enough. Only stop came from surplus ammo that had been near a house fire, with a singed wood box, 2 or 3 blackened box edges. It locked the carrier back tight but released before the stock was all the way off. Just a glitch?

17. cz777

cz777 G&G Regular

cetme

look up about the bolt gap -this one is **** to pay for !slap bolt to locking ,no ammo used next pull trigger ,next go to mag well with feeler gauge set check gap below .010'' you got troubles the rollers must be replaced next size up or more ..cia has cut the backs of bolts to fool you too its abit rounded on the back side .please read about this at cetmehomepage !if all is good have fun!!

18. knightRider

knightRider G&G Newbie

dang it i want one !!

19. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

They got 'em on Gunbroker.com. That's where I got mine.

20. rocketmonty

rocketmonty G&G Newbie

sometimes the lower grip needs to be re-check on the sear engagement ,that they alter/restrick from f/a fire . keep in mind that this ones are or use to be f/a.so they restrick the sear/lever/selector pattern. t:)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted