New Extraction Problem

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dutch, May 30, 2008.

1. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    Okay I have a new issue. This rifle got stripped and cleaned in my tank, so I am reasonably sure there is no cosmo causing issues, but you never know. I did the bolt too.

After firing, the bolt will open and close just fine, no issues there. However, extracting the case is a bear. I will pop the bolt handle up, and then have to whack the bolt, from the muzzle towards the butt, to get the case to start moving. I am not seeing any expansion or splitting issues, but it does get marked with rub lines on it's way out.

I do not see anything out of the ordinary on the bolt, and it does extract.

I am thinking the problem lies with the steel cases I am firing, but I have not confirmed that it like brass any better yet. I have never had any of the 91/30's complain about this ammo (until now?).

I did clean the daylights out of the chamber thinking I missed something, It was mildly better after that, but was not a solution. Anyone got any other ideas?

2. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Did you check the extractor for burs and the chamber as well? Maybe she just wants brass like you said.

3. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    Grr, why does this act funny if I type too fast? Anyone else have problems where is stick letter out in FRONT of where you are typing, so you end up with words like 'typin' and a 'g' hanging out after the period! frustratin!g

Anyway. I have not checked the chamber for burrs, it never occured to me. That may be the issue since that is where the hangup seems to be, but I can't imagine what would cause a burr in the chamber. If my imagination were good enough to think of that stuff I wouldn't be sitting in the middle of a cube farm...

Thanks

4. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I have had a few typing issues here aswell. Ha Ha! Just like missing the space! Checking for burs was one thing I always do. So thought I would mention it. It sounds like the extractor is doing its job, but I would remove it and make sure it is completely clean under it as well.