Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know for good reason some people here avoid Wally world like the Covid19 virus.
However, sometimes you can find interesting things in all the oriental bat guano.😁

I used to spend $3-5 depending on the year it was for those little tiny tootsie roll looking fire starting sticks and use either a approximately 1" long piece or the whole thing to start a fire.

Well a few weeks ago I spied this product in the Wally world sporting goods section and for $2.97 I'm willing to test it out. Considering the price and it's roughly 2-3x the amount.
Since I can't upload a photo thanks to my great error net here's a couple of links.
First what I used to use
https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-7940-Fire-Stick-Pack/dp/B000LBS6LS
And next what I bought to T&E I'm kicking around an idea to cut them into approximately 2" sections roll these in magnesium powder and then dip in paraffin wax. Then seal in a ziplock bag.

The former is roughly a 6.5oz amount while the later is 30oz.
And if it works out okay I'm going to grab about 5 more and that might be a lifetime supply.

·
Registered
20,300 Posts

·
Wonderment :)
33,943 Posts

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Homemade Fire Starters

Items needed-
1. Fiber egg carton

2. Paraffin wax (old candles or pound of gulf wax)

3. Bottle of lamp oil

4. Corrugated cardboard

5. Coarse sawdust (I use planer chips) made from pine or cedar

Step one- cut cardboard into strips about 1 inch wide and 3-5 inches long, coil them into each compartment of egg carton

Step two- fill egg compartments with sawdust

Step three- melt paraffin wax in a double boiler (I use a recycled can inside an old yardsale pot filled with water)

Step four- stir some lamp oil into the melted wax

Step five- pour wax mixture into egg carton, filling and saturating the sawdust/cardboard

Step six- let it harden up and then when needed, rip one egg compartment off and light the edge. Each compartment will burn for 8-12 minutes and will easily light a fire even with damp or otherwise subpar kindling

1 - 10 of 10 Posts