New Flashlight

Discussion in 'Other Accessories' started by austinjoe13, Jul 19, 2020.

1. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 <------------<<<-

Back in 2015 or 2016, I picked up a Streamlight ProTac 1L. I have used it almost every day in some way since then. I did up until I lost it a couple weeks ago... I have not been able to find it, so I looked for replacements at Scheels this weekend. I ended up getting a ProTac 1L-1AA. I went from 180 lumens to 350. I’m liking it, so far. The new clip can go on my hat brim without having to pull and flip the clip. I do miss having that weathered and used look, though.

Anyways, the light can use either one CR123a or one AA. The 123’s give the best performance, but AA’s are everywhere. Their Ten-Tap feature lets you choose between three different programs—high-strobe-low, high only, or low-high. I always had the old light set to high-strobe-low. I currently have the new one set to low-high, because 350 lumens is probably going to be overkill for working up close in attics. I’ll definitely go high for crawlspaces. Gotta scan for eyes before entering.

I’ll post if I have any issues, though I doubt I will have issues. Post up any questions you guys have on this

jerry, neophyte, mauser9 and 2 others like this.
  2. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I've found their stuff to work well. I've a micro stream USB (USB chargeable) for EDC and it's about the size of a short pen which works great.

I think I got their metal HL-X which can use either 2x123's or use their (USB chargeable) 18650 battery. This has been a boon in traveling and is a part of my flight bag. The nice thing is being able to charge via USB when on the road.

neophyte, rando and austinjoe13 like this.

3. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Streamlight's are really nice lights. Most guys I used to do HVACR with chose them for work. I stopped buying Mag Lites years ago when they were mass producing and quality fell off. The buttons would break or bulbs flicker and so forth. Stream light has added so many different lights to their line in the past years. I also noticed when I did jobs in fire houses that the Stream Lights are the choice of most firemen. I even had the plastic built yellow/green ones of high impact type plastic. The on/off switch was a black lever that flips from side to side. You could run them over with a vehicle and would not crack. Also waterproof. I watched that show " How Things Are Made" They actually went to the factory and showing them making the flashlights and testing. They put them in a pressurized tank of water by the hundreds. They check for any vapor or water inside lens. If they do happen to come across one then they toss it. Not sure if others seen it.

neophyte, Jaison and TXplt like this.
  4. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

My latest 2 aren't that fancy but the LL Bean moonbeam light has a glow in dark frame and has 300 lumens. Had a sale on the Coast flashlights at Lowes for $15 which has 440 lumens which is beam adjustable and takes 4 AAA batteries. Can't believe the lumens in some of these small lights today.

rando and neophyte like this.
  5. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

My newest is a coast g20 its a nice little light about the size of a sharpie. And has a solid round been out to about 60yards. And the cost about 20$ at Walmart.

6. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I have two $20 flashlights from walmart that use 2AA batteries and LED. They have a red rubber button in the back end. They have not given any trouble like all the Mag Lites that give me. I have dropped them so many times and still work. I forgot the brand but it is their brand and like a grey anodized finish. The last one I bought for use in one of my garages is a Bushnell. It has built in Lithium batteries and rechargeable. Has a small charger with a phone type jack that plugs into the light. It is about a thousand Lumens and bright. Its like a miniature spot light and don't have to worry about changing batteries. The one I have is about $30.

cooker300, neophyte and mauser9 like this.
  7. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Still waitin on my freebie tac light from NRA. Suppose to have 300 lumens and believe is beam adjustable.

neophyte and austinjoe13 like this.
  8. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Oh yeah got that new flashlight from the NRA dues a few days back that I mentioned. Much better than I thought. It is made of aluminum and seems very sturdy. Fully adj. beam for distance and width. Around 5 3/4 inches in length and comes with a lanyard and pocket clip. Takes 3 AAA batteries. Something like 300-350 lumens. Can't have enough flashlights or pocket knives.

austinjoe13 likes this.