Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Smart guns, training timers, other technology. Some of these are fairly mature while others have failed to make an entry into the market. This forum will allow people to contribute to the development of these areas through discussions and feedback with different developers. If you have a concern about a tech or particular implementation then share your concern. Keep the discussions civil and we will see where things lead.

Thanks!

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,712 Posts
For those who want 'smart guns' and can afford them, fine. But DO NOT force the still-unproven and unconstitutional technology upon the rest of us. If 'smart' technology is mandated for ALL guns, it will destroy the classic and collectible guns or put them out of our hands by law. Bad form..... :mad:

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
We aren't here to dictate or debate the politics around that. This forum is here to discuss new ideas, and integrating them into a sport we already enjoy.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Okay, for the slow kid in the class, HOW does this stuff dope wind? I have been able to dope all else, but as any long range shooter knows, its the wind that will get ya!

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
870shooter1, I linked an article in another thread. At least in that iteration of the rifle it seemed like wind wasn't getting calculated. The reviewer talked about waiting for a lull before firing.

·
36,712 Posts
Well, my highest 'tech' so far is finally getting a night vision scope. Haven't had the chance to try it yet. Hope to use it to pop some piggies.
I usually try to avoid anything requiring batteries, but this is an exception.
The feral pigs mostly come out at night on the hunting lease.

Reactions: XHartman

·
Curmudgeon In Training
4,595 Posts
The technology I see as desirable for firearms is pretty much off the gun type stuff. I see people at the range testing their load development with chronographs, and timers to make sure that an equal amount of barrel cooling time has occurred. What I would like to see is improvements in that type of technology, as in miniaturization and cost reduction. Heck, even a chrony that could be picatinny rail mounted for AR type platforms would be a big seller I think.

I would also like to see technology used to evaluate and uniformly report on the properties of gun accessories. For example, truly quantifying the amount of recoil reduction and muzzle jump reduction of the various muzzle brakes.

Every manufacturer makes claims that you just have to assume are true and hope for the best. Wouldn't it be nice if there was standard equipment set and units of measurement standards so we could compare apples to apples?

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
As a rifle competitor of many years, at ranges out to 1200 yds, there is no bigger issue than doping the wind! I can dial in the elevation with no problem, doping the windage is as much art as it is science!

Work on something for wind, and you'll have my interest.

·
Curmudgeon In Training
4,595 Posts
Ah, windage, a mystery that eludes my poor skills. I tend to "wait for the lull". :confused:

·
36,712 Posts
Maybe I am still something of a neoluddite, but I do not see the implementation of high tech as necessarily good for the Shooting Sports. When we introduce computer aided scopes, automatic tracking, etc., we take the art and skill from shooting. A favorite movie tagline of mine, "It's the MAN, not the machine!"
The high tech is okay in certain specific cases, like for an LEO sniper to make a critical shot on a bad guy in a hostage situation, or in wartime. But NOT on my range, for sport shooting or in the woods for hunting, and absolutely not for my personal defense. I do not want someone else 'calling my shots'.......

Reactions: Kad Skirata

·
Registered
304 Posts
High tech isn't coming to the shooting sports, it's already here regardless if we want it or not. The sport will absorb it, along with it's benefits either way. It was much the same with Stainless steel and synthetic stocks. When both were introduced decades ago, they were pretty well greeted with a universal "thumbs down" from the shooting community. Today they're widely accepted by most everyone because of the advantages they offer. Polymer pistols are yet another development that are as common as dirt today. In the 70's such guns were laughed at.

High tech sighting instruments and computers are just another tool that will require time for the more traditional shooters, (which I am one of), to accept without reservation and resistance. Technology has put chronographs into every shooters range kit for little more than a hundred dollars. 40 years ago they were only available to ballistic laboratories because of their high cost. Computer ballistic programs are available for free on many shooting related websites. 4 decades ago they didn't exist. All of them allow shooters access to proven, accurate loads without all of the endless experminting at the loading bench before an accurate load was achieved.

Just as in our daily life, computers, smart phones, automobile navigation, digital everything, took time to not only evolve, but gain acceptance. Another thing is that nothing gets cheaper faster than electronic technology. If you need proof just look at computer and widescreen HDTV prices over the last few years. They have not only plummeted across the board, but are better and have far more features than ever. It will be the same when these gadgets are employed in the shooting sports. Look at laser rangefinders. They are now small enough to fit into a hunters pocket, and are within the budget of the once a year hunter. Not long ago they cost thousands, and were the size of battleship binoculars. No matter how you look at it, shooters will adjust to it, simply because it's a massive improvement over what it is replacing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts