close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New forum

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Jesse, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

This completes the hunting section for now...

I hunted squirrels with my Dad as a boy. I have fond memories of hunting fox squirrel's in high school. I have enjoyed hunting jackrabbits in Mexico and hares in Argentina. I felt this section of my life needed a forum on this site...

Hope you agree,

Jesse

2. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper G&G Newbie

Now I have a good place to talk about one of my favorite types of hunting, squirrel hunting. That's even how came up with my user name.

3. Jesse

Squirrel

^5... I hunt with Ruger 10/22s. Bull match barrels and Simmons 3*9/44 optics. I use CCI Stingers and I don't play around when I hunt fox squirrels because they are really tough...

Glad you like the forum,

Jesse :D

4. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper G&G Newbie

My favorite squirrel gun for right now is....

my Marlin 880SQ. I've done a bit of work on it (trigger job, free-float barrel) and got it to holding consistent groups around .5" at 50yds with CCI Mini-Mag hollow points. Right now it's got a cheap Simmons 3-9x32 scope on it that I'm going to change when I get around to it because the parralax is awful at close range. So far though, this combo has accounted for quite a few grey and fox squirrels being killed, with 2 being in the 90-100yd range; one fell to a headshot and the other to a neckshot because I goofed and missed the head. At least this rifle didn't cost that much though, and I don't mind dragging it through the brush. I keep hearing about the accuracy of the CZ 22LR rifles, so as soon as I make it to the local gun shop I'm going to pick one up and try it out. If it's good it may become my new squirrel gun, but it's going to be hard to beat my 880SQ.:D

5. Mike Haycraft

Mike Haycraft G&G Newbie

KY
    Thanks Jessie. I use a 52 B winchester with a 3X9X50 5 star redfield . It is a tack driver and I use Dyna Point Bullets. I also use a 32cal percussion when we go frontier here. I live in the middle of Danial Boone National Forest so I have a lot of areas to go.

6. I too use a Ruger 10/22 for squirrel hunting. Mine is topped with a 6X Leupold Compact. Its great for those long treks in the woods. I also like to hunt Ruffed Grouse. Don't get many but sure have fun trying.

7. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    good call on the small game forum. my son and i love to hunt squirrel and rabbit & the occasional quail. i use the 10/22 topped with a 4x weaver; dynapoints; would like to try CCI's new raptor's. son uses his 20ga Mossberg bantam. I sometimes use my 16 ga Model 31 on squirrels but this exclusevly on rabbits. we have fox and greys.
    The most interesting squirrel hunting i did was in the mountains of AZ near tucson. the squirrel there is known as hebeir (SP?) red on top with a white belly and little white tuffs or tassles on the ears. not the best eati'n, they foraged mostly on pine cones.

8. Mike Haycraft

Mike Haycraft G&G Newbie

KY
    Hey Jerry what do those Squirrels taste like eating pinecones:)

9. Jesse

Thanks

Jerry, thanks for the hunting report on AZ. If you remember the place you went in AZ, please send me a Personal Message with the details. I'm looking to hunt out west and those squirrels are tempting..

10. beaurt

beaurt G&G Newbie

I agree, squirrel hunting is how lots of folks start out hunitng. Its fun and sometimes the action can be quite fast! Usually I use my stock Ruger 10/22, but last season I started packing on of those Mark 1 Ruger pistols with fixed sights. One squirrel I emptied an entire magazine at and hit narry a hair on its head!!! Reloaded the darned thing again and finally got close enough to make him run. The next two squirrels I shot at, I hit them both in the head. Dumb luck I guess. All three were less than 30yds away. It was some fun!

11. Jesse

Squirrel hunting is some of the most fun I think a person can have! I also have eaten them... The ones around cornfields in my area have yellow fat when you dress them. If you soak the meat like venison, use meat tenderizer, and fry it in seafood breader, it is great... super. As a kid, I never found a way to keep hairs off the meat without scrubbing and washing thoroughly before soaking. Not many people experience fried squirrel, potato wedges and a bottled Coke!

Jesse

Last edited: Mar 17, 2002
  12. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    mike,
    it's unfortunate but the AZ squirrell that eat the pine cones taste somewhat like pine. I was always taught to eat what i harvest and did. this particular squirrell would be best suited as a mount. i wish i had one done while there.

13. tonto

tonto G&G Newbie

I miss the big old greysquirrels I used to shoot on my dads farm in northern new york state, I was transplanted to florida by the mighty USAF and these little guys down here are tasty, not very smart so it's easy to make them tasty too! I use cci mini mags in my stock 10/22, and when they are high in the palms i take 'em out with my old montgomery ward 22 mag with maxi-mag+v. fun fun fun.

14. One of my all time favorites,fired grey squirrel,biscuits and gravy,and smashed taters.You can keep the fox squirrels though,tough as leather.:D

15. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Sounds like the meals I remember, Duck223. Unfortunately, all the places Dad and I used to hunt are trailer parks now. Got lot's of tree-rats on my new property, but I'm in a subdivision. No hunting! Darn. I feed the little buggers now.
    Best shot I ever made was Dad and I drawing down on two 'rats in the same tree, running together. We both fired, and both 'rats dropped.
    My current squirrel rifle is my Marlin 25MN (.22WMR), with a Simmons 2-7X44 Mag scope. I've recently found some new squirrel woods, and look forward to having fun again.

16. johno

johno G&G Newbie

marlin

big dog, how do you like that marlin? I've got the same one in .22lr and was wondering how other people with the same gun like it. i love mine.

17. Strongman

Strongman G&G Newbie

I have had a Marlin 25 in .22lr for about 14-15 years and it will shoot the wedding tackle off a squirrel at 50 yds. It came with a scope but I threw it away and the old thing just shoots great. I also had a stainless version in 22wmr that shot great., I'm just too cheap to shoot the mag sheels and have alot more fun with the cheapo lr shells.

If someone was looking to buy one of the best deals on the market as far as price, dependability, and accuracy then the marlin would be an excelent choice.

18. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Johno, I've found it very good with the CCI Maximags, shooting under an inch @ 100yards. The Speer TNT ammo (marketed by CCI) isn't as accurate. Maybe that bigger hollow alters the aerodynamics. With life size squirrel targets at 100yds, I can make consistent headshots, though this is ideal conditions. In the field, things are never ideal.
    My early squirrel hunting was with my dad's Remington 550-1, and it bagged many a tree-rat. He gave me the rifle last year, so I may take it out again, for old time sake. Sometimes, you can go home again!