close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new gun

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by wes, Apr 21, 2002.

1. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Bought a used gun today at a gunshow,gave the guy the money and he told me there was no paperwork,no backround check. I thought they all had to do this now? HOWEVER, I'm not complaining.

2. Topstrap

Topstrap G&G Newbie

That is about the only way I buy one now unless something is so new I can't find it any other way... less others know of what you have the better off you'll be.

3. Rooster

Rooster G&G Newbie

that was probably a private sell not a dealer.

4. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Wes words of warning:
    If your state requires you to have a handgun permit, and you did not provide him with one, then it is an illegal purchase.

If your state does not require a handgun permit to purchase the handgun(If it even was) you are ok.

The background check only applies to FFL Licensed Dealers, and if you see a table at a gunshow with more than 5 firearms, they can be considered a dealer, and must have a valid FFL, or I would not do business with them, as those are the type of people who give gun shows a bad name.

If it was a long gun then it shouldn't be a problem,unless their are local or state laws prohibiting you.

5. wes

wes G&G Newbie

No,everything was ok. I was under the impression that in Colo. even non-dealers had to do checks at a gunshow. This guy had more than five guns so I did assume he was a dealer. If I did somehow slip through the cracks,it's ok with me.