close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New gun

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JohnW, Mar 18, 2002.

1. JohnW

JohnW G&G Newbie

I was resently given a new muzzleloader for my birthday. I have never owned one before and was wondering if anyone could tell me if the barrel needs to be "seasoned" the same as a high powered rifle barrel does and if so how do I go about doing it? Thanks for any info.

2. jerry

jerry Patriotic Member Forum Contributor

USA
    Honestly have never heard. the whole affair is such a mess (loveable though) i don't think it would matter. if your shooting balls the patch will contact the rifiling, if shooting sabots you will have plastic residue, if shooting lead bullets like maxi balls you may have some leading, but good lube and propper amount should make this even a non issue. furthermore, where you can get by with shooting high power a lon time with out cleaning, you can't with the smokepole (yes even with Pyrodex) at a minimum you will probably be cleaning every 2~4 shots. Just make sure you clean good after shooting, should be fine.

3. Most folks figure on fireing about 50-75 rounds before they feel the gun has settled down. I'm talking patch n ball

4. FOR: JOHN W. Welcome to the smokepole fraternity!!!!! Both Jerry and Firemedic are right. Nothings ever the same pole to pole, you see what works in my gun may not work in yours and vise versa, thats why we value one anothers opinions and can get along so well. After the basics are picked up we can all be experts in our way, but we all agree on the basics. I've seen new smoke poles shoot excellent right out of the box. "I'm not talking inline here, have no experience there, just ol time percussion style." And I've seen a few that no matter what you did they just wouldn't shoot good. Use your owners manual if you have one, to get a start, thats the basics. Talk to shooters, that can be a big help, we might be opinionated , but we are pretty good fellers.Muzzeloaders are like women, you have to play around with them to get them to come around. Different Loads, Different patches,Different lubes, Different powders, Different powder size, Rd. balls, Conicals, on and on but start with the basics first. By the time you get through this, your gun will be seasoned whatever that is. Ok by cracky?

5. JohnW

JohnW G&G Newbie

Thanks for the info. I received a T/C Black Diamond. The manuel says to use T/C bore butter to season the barrel. I wasn't sure if it was a way for T/C to just sell for products, or the only way to do it. Plus I thought someone might know of a better way to do it. I'm pretty open minded (don't ask my wife though), and figured I would get as much info as possible. My only experience with black powder was a hang fire from an old flintlock. I swore I'd never shoot another one but now it has sparked new interest. I've hunted with rifle, pistol, and bow. Seemed like the logical thing to do. Once again, thanks for the info and plan on being in here often just to chat.

6. JohnW

JohnW G&G Newbie

Thanks for the info. I received a T/C Black Diamond. The manuel says to use T/C bore butter to season the barrel. I wasn't sure if it was a way for T/C to just sell for products, or the only way to do it. Plus I thought someone might know of a better way to do it. I'm pretty open minded (don't ask my wife though), and figured I would get as much info as possible. My only experience with black powder was a hang fire from an old flintlock. I swore I'd never shoot another one but now it has sparked new interest. I've hunted with rifle, pistol, and bow. Seemed like the logical thing to do. Once again, thanks for the info and plan on being in here often just to chat.

7. Mac_Muz

Mac_Muz G&G Newbie

John some error was made when you had the hang fire with the flinter... I have flinter's and they will go off if held upside down.

The only nipple hugger's I have are 6 guns, as I can't figure out how to get them to be flinters...

There are many schools of thought on "seasoning" There is no right way of it. That is something you do, or don't do.

I do..... The only way to maintain that though is to clean with water and nothing that will cut the season. There are those that won't have anything to do with the idea.

They clean with all sorts of things, and they claim my guns are always dirty because the steel is coated with a burt patina, which I believe smooths the bore, filling machine marks and pours in the steel. I would agree the bore is like 0.0015" smaller for it. But the bore feels like waxed glass with a clean patch in a clean bore. A clean bore will produce a clean patch, and whether or not it is seasoned......

My season is a home made brew of real bee's wax (bee's in it), sheep tallow (I get that from scalping the "PC" sheepeople). I don't know what is in the mix that you buy in a store...

I lube my locks with bear oil, and am a rather dyed in the wool buck skinner....... You won't find me witha in line no matter what happens.... I would rather shoot a AK than try any in line.. Whats the world coming too?
    Mac

8. For , John W: Mac-Muz just hit the nail on the head in his own way, he is a flintlocker and sounds like a make meat buckskinner, I have a good friend who is one of those, great friend but a little scary sometimes, still a guy you would want in a fox hole with you when the battles are tough. The point is what works for him works for him & might work for you or me then again mabey not. Bore Butter is good, I think it was made for the ladies by the way it smells. I've used BoreButter, Crisco, Lard, Beef fat, Bear grease, Motor oil@#$% yep thats what I said. Everything did a pretty good job, but Hopes #9 plus w/ a .015 pillow tick patch and .490 swaged rd ball along with FFF powder works the best in my TC 50cal. Hawken. Not so in my 54cal or 32cal., but those are other stories. If you or your wife cook with cast iron , then you know what seasoning is. Like Mac-Muz said it closes the pores it is the original non stick surface. You have an In-line, I shoot Percussion, Mac-Muz prefers Flint among other things. Note he didn't slam you and I won't either we here to help along with some others. If we don't stand to gether the battle is over and we lose and I don't like to lose.

9. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Well If ya want my 2 cents. I Built 1803 Harper's Ferry Contract rifles for a 10 years. (54 cal Flinters).

From the time my barrels were brand new. OIL has never touched one of them. If you have oiled yours. Take it into the shower. Get the water as hot as you can stand it. Dish washing soap (Dawn is good) and hot water in and over the barrel till it's clean, and good and hot. Towel it off. The heat of the metal will dry itself out.

Before you start all this, go to yer local bore stuffer shop and pick up ALL the Thompson 1000 products you can. Bore cleaner solvent, Barrel butter, and pre lubed patches.

While yer barrel is still hot, but dried out. apply the barrel butter inside and out.

Before you fire, swap the bore with the butter. When done, clean with the cleaner. During use the patches.

I have fired 1000's of rounds thru my first 1803. It's ten years old now and going strong.

When the other's start to get real hard to ram. You will be just ramming away, for hours, or days.

T/C is telling you the truth. I was at a rondy a few years back. We were firng as teams. 50 shot heach person. 100 total. My partner's rifle got so had to ram he broke his rod on round 18. We both fired my 1803 for the rest of the trail walk. When we went back to camp (after he bought a new rod). We cleaned, and seasoned his piece with Thompson 1000. He is still using it today.

10. Kees

Kees G&G Newbie

Good morning, folks. Figured I'd pull up to the fire, help myself to some coffee & join in on the discussion.
    There was an article several years ago, I believe in Black Powder Hunting on seasoning a ML bore. If memory serves me it was by Sam Fadala. The gist of it was to get some of the commercial Scotch-brite pads, the ones for taking off paint etc. available from the hardware store. Put that around a cleaning rod, dowel or the jag for the ramrod. It has to be a good tight fit in the bore. Then hose it down with cutting oil or WD-40 and run it in & out of the bore 80 - 100 times. In effect you are lapping the bore. Once done, clean the barrel thoroughly with hot soapy water to get the oil out. It helps some to rinse it by pouring boiling water down the tube, just don't pour it on yourself. While the barrel is hot, run some patches down her until she's dry, then swab it liberally with Bore-Butter like Armorer says. Makes for a sweet-loading gun.
    Have fun with the in-line. Be prepared to go from that to a flinter, though... These things have a habbit of getting into your skin!
    Thanks for the coffee, keep yer powder dry! -Kees-

11. Mac_Muz

Mac_Muz G&G Newbie

Well, then if in ya kin read, go check what that fancy writin is on the thompson can/bottle and see what is says. I might like ta know what fancy ladies around heya have been wearing. I just might go take a ride some day and git me some O' that for them sportin ladies. If it works like my stuff does, and smells real good, maybe I just might get LUCKY:D
    Them's ladies are always a' complainin 'bout my mix with them dead bee's. They make faces and sounds I Kan't begin to reproduce heya'. I dunno why, as them bee's is dead and sealed up tight in the wax!

Oncet I had a feller tell me my bee's wax was fake cuz it wern't a golden color, like you see advertized fer sewin! I broke of a wack with my knife, and sucked off some honey, and spit out 1 moa' bee right there! he made faces too! Go figure that out....

I could use a little spermacetii oil if'n ya can git any some where's fer me, been kinda hard up to find in these parts.

Yup, I gotta agree with that aromor.... I use this stuff on the outside with a bit more tallow mixed and rub it in right by the fire. You might wanna watch out fer gettin too much on the wood parts though as it shines. I mean it shines to much, and ducks and injun's can see that from a real fer piece!

Oh, an yeah that Roy seems ta be about right, but I ain't about ta be diggin no **** fox hole neither. You can if'n ya wants to, but get the coffee on before ya ask me ta come in down there.

An 1 moa' thing,,,, that black diamond gun is a in line? Oh my God!! I sure do hope not.....Tis bad nuff that them in line things is made out hard whale hide, and other very strange material, some metal that can't rust... must gotta be witch craft..... Mac

12. Any of you fellows used hornets nest in your gun? Thats what we call em' down here in the Tar Heel state anyways. some calls it wasp nest. I read about it years ago in a old publication about blackpowder rifles. You take a wad of it and put it over your powder charge, then seat your ball over it. I tried it and was satisfied it did help keep barrel cleaner. I also got better accuracy. Nows the time of year to get old nest. Or better yet in the fall after it gets cold. And another thing I agree with, don't use no oil. Now the only thing I've used this in is sidehammer caplocks. Don't know if it would work with these in-lines and pellets.

13. Mac_Muz

Mac_Muz G&G Newbie

Yup I collect in late fall, as the crows have eatten any I miss by spring. I shoot smooth bore more than anything else, and this works well with that. Also it makes for a good top card...acting like one... I find I need to pack a colum of it for shot, as it can blow right thru the shot, and leave the shot in the bore...... That caused me some confusion the first few times... I tend to hit patrdge the first time, and when I missed and lowered the gun, and the shot poured out loose right in front of me I was more than a little miffed. Mac

14. By crackey here in wes ginny we dont wet fer no cold wether, we jus grab thu nest ,hornets un all ,soak with moter oil, slam hur home un fur away. nock ah squrral outta tree ut hunnet tin paces, mo o les . wit a 32 2.

15. "Jes this is too much"' by crackey.

16. Mac_Muz

Mac_Muz G&G Newbie

By Gory! That thar shines it does! hunit t'an huh? I like ta sneak up close N' toss a stick to the fer side O' da tree, sos the varmitt comes round ta' my side O'da tree, and barkem... ;-) Mac

17. Do ya pitch tha stik arund to da rite or da left o da tre un watt do ya do if ol griz sho up????

18. Mac_Muz

Mac_Muz G&G Newbie

Whal, I throws the stick wid me right hand, as my trigger finger happens to be my left hand. Shootin lefty with a flinter, makes me expert at fire makin too! ;-) I can shoot, and fry a varmitt fast that way. All I gotta do is catch the critter on it's way down over my right sleeve.... Gotta admitt cleanin em after they been cooked first is a tad tuff ta do, as them guts is hotter than hell, ya know!

As fer griz, which one? I know a few, and then ther's bears.

Dependin on which one, I either sit aspell and swap lies, or since my Nor" West Gun has a very low front sight I stand my ground and bend over, as I find I can't run 40! Mac

19. Muzzle Loading

mac_muz: ok, pelgrum. U ketchum, kilum, un cukem, than ya cun cull me, an I'll eatum. Ah speakun o flint, Ijust gut me a Tredesons,at a pelgrums, eeestate sail, nu in box,nowl wadado.??

20. Muzzle Loading

mac-muz: Ah fergat to say its ah pestell. wad ah do nowl huh.?? 25/30 gr. FFFg??. .440 rd ball, Patch.015??, lube" motor oil@#$%&*???"he he he.