close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Gun

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Hud, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Hello everyone,

Haven't been around much this summer. Just been busy. Anyway I thought I'd pop in and show off my new gun. I ordered it last January. It's just came in. It is a "Gary Reeder" customized Blackhawk in .480 Ruger. It is a sweet shooting gun. Handles the recoil exceptionaly well. That target is 5 bullets in three holes at 20 yards.

It is good to see some old names, BRG3, Doglips, Klaus and all.

Is TwentyTwo/MangesMade still around?

HUD

Attached Files:

2. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    NICE!
    thanks for sharing.

3. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Hud, that is simply beautiful! welcome back!

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Nice hogleg! I've shot the .480 in the Super Redhawk, and it is awesome.
    Mangesmade/Twentytwo shows up on a couple other sites, but I'm sure he probably pops in here to check on things.

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Oh sure, just come back with your fancy toys and rub our noses in it why don't ya? Nice gun man, I'm jealous (couldn't tell could ya?) :D

6. I am long time Blackhawk fan, but I am not familiar with the .480. Help me out.

7. This is my first custom gun so I am pretty excited about it. I sold one of my old 1 ton work pickups that had given me 360 thousand miles of use and was still in pretty good shape. So I figured it was free money that I got for it, as that truck didn't owe me anything. That is what I used to have the Blackhawk customised. The blackhawk started out as a 357 Mag. About the only original parts left are the frame and Bisley grip, and both of them have been changed somewhat.

Alan, the 480 is a new cartridge that Ruger has had out in a double action revolver (Super Redhawk) for about a year now.
    It is not chambered in the Blackhawk from the factory.

The 480 Ruger is a 475 caliber bullet in a 45-70 case that has been cut down to the case length of a 44 Mag., then straightend out to accept a .475 caliber bullet. It is a hair shorter than the 475 Linebaugh cartridge. The factory ballistics is a 325 grain bullet at 1350 feet per second. In my 5 shot Blackhawk I can push it up to match the 475 Linebaugh, but they wouldn't be safe if shot in a double action gun, and it is not needed for normal hunting use.

I plan on loading 400 grain bullets at about 1000 to 1100 feet per second.

Hud