Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. New guy here, I just bought my first gun. I got a Mossberg 12 gauge field/deer combo. I figured it would have a pretty good kick, but the target shells didn't bother me too much. Then I tried some sabot rounds through the rifled barrel. Whoa, now THERE's some KICK!

I'm not a hunter (yet, anyway) but wanted something for home protection. Now I'm looking at all kinds of guns, just because... You probably don't understand that (tongue in cheek).

Anyway, thought I would introduce myself. I'm new to this gun thing. I look forward to reading up on all the different aspects of these things.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Welcome to the World of some of the finest folks you'll ever meet, Gun Owners.

And WELCOME to GUN and GAME a site where we can share our interest feller.

Looking forward to seeing you around !!! Thanks for Joining...A.H

·
Registered
170 Posts
Welcome, one great thing about the Mossberg 500 is the accesories. You have a entire slew of aftermarket products readily available. Plus the gun itself is very easy to maintain. Hot loads like slugs, turkey loads, 00 buck will always provide more of a kick, even simi-hot loads such as your normal high brass shot shells will have more of a kick. But I'll promise you one thing, while at the shooting bench your going to say WHOA! When that day a deer, turkey or any other game your using a hot load on. You wont feel a thing. Im using the term hot loosly here. But get you some guns and ammo or any other type of gun magazine and you basic knowleddge will grow quickly.

·
Wonderment :)
33,490 Posts
bunch

Alleydude: Sir; there is a bunch who know about them Mossbergs here. Welcome and share your experiences.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,all. I only wish this Michigan weather would cooperate and let me go out and shoot just a little more. It's FREAKIN' COLD out!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I use to shoot sporting clays alots. And I love to rabbit hunt in snow or rain, if the holes are filled with water or snow there aint now where to go. :09: My dad and I came up with a little slogan to go out and stand in a box to shoot clay. If your going to hunt in it, might as well play in it. Only time I hate shooting is when its extremely windy. Hard to get the targets up, and you should see all the neat tricks wind can put on clay! Especially a till station, a till station you stand behind a large wood plank that goes Id guess 10-12 ft up. The trapper sits behind it and the birds(clay) are thrown straight up about 20-25 ft or better. If you have good wind Ive seen those birds get blown behind you. Actually one time the guy that owned the course went out and closed the station because it was so bad. If you ever get a chance find a place and shoot around, I wont lie it can be expensive. You'll need 100 shells I always take at least a half box extra per round. So figure 20-25 dollars if you can find the 100ct boxes at wal-mart. Plus around here its about 25 dollars to shoot 1 round, plus its a unwritted code to tip the trapper normaly about $5 bucks. If you want to shoot more than 1 round, tell the trapper you want him again, might squeeze 2 rounds out for a $5 buck tip. I know its cheap but hey Im not made of money do good to get the money to go in the first place.

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
WELCOME! You will like it. They are very versatile, because of so many loads. I like my Mav 88! Nothing beats a S/G in the hallway. Glad you have some protection.
3 reasons to own a gun: To protect ones self and family, to get delicious food, and to keep King George out of your face.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for the replies. So would you recommend shot or slugs for home protection? I'm thinking shot because of the spread, but that slug will put a hole in a brick wall, I'd think. Not much gonna walk away from getting hit with one of those.:196:

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Thanks again for the replies. So would you recommend shot or slugs for home protection? I'm thinking shot because of the spread, but that slug will put a hole in a brick wall, I'd think. Not much gonna walk away from getting hit with one of those.:196:

Shot, with slugs you have to be concerned of them going through the walls and possibly hitting an innocent individual and the repercussions from it.

And Welcome to G&G. Lots to read and even more to learn.

G-Meister

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Shot, with slugs you have to be concerned of them going through the walls and possibly hitting an innocent individual and the repercussions from it.
And Welcome to G&G. Lots to read and even more to learn.
G-Meister
Good thought. I will keep THAT in mind.

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I'm learning a lot.

Try Remington "managed recoil" slugs. There is a lot less kick and they are effective on game.
Do I shoot them through the rifled barrel or the smooth barrel?

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
You shouldn't shoot slugs out of a barrel with an internal choke, you'll blow it right out. Even if you were to take the choke off/out, I believe it ruins the threads.

The only barrels for slugs is rifled barrel or a smooth barrel with a cylinder choke not a smooth bore with a choke other then cylinder bore, I believe. I may be wrong, pretty sure I'm not but someone will correct me if I am so you get the right info...

G-Meister

·
Registered
174 Posts
The only barrels for slugs is rifled barrel or a smooth barrel with a cylinder choke not a smooth bore with a choke other then cylinder bore...
With all due respect G-Meister, you are wrong. ;)
I've shot Winchester Super-X (Foster-type) slugs from my Moss'y 500 with the 28" front-bead field barrel in Modified choke. Rather accurate at 100 yds and consistently so. However the open (rifle) sights on the shorter slug barrel make sight picture and target acquistion much easier. Especially as regards the former. :p
In fact, the American Rifleman (NRA) magazine featured an article some years ago wherein it stated that some choke (up to modified?) was actually <i>beneficial</i> to Foster-type slug performance, if I remember correctly. And I assume I, too, will be corrected if <b>I</b> am wrong! :D

Alleydude,

Welcome to G&G!

I have 2 Moss'y 500 field/deer combos in 12 gauge (I inherited one from a brother when he married... :rolleyes: ), and bought my son a 20 ga. combo last year when he turned 12. You got a good gun for the money, with lots of aftermarket accessories for your toy chest, if you so care. :D

With a modicum of care, it will serve you well for many years. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again, everyone. I'm soaking this stuff up!

So here's one of my first newbie questions. I see Mossberg sells barrels, I was wondering if I can get a shorter barrel for home security for my 500. Looking though their list I'm not sure what to look for, or even if they make what I'm looking for for my gun. Can anyone offer some assistance?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Back to the subject of rifled slugs: The Foster type which is the same diameter as the bore shoots best with some choke. I have used a full choke gun with OK results. The Remington "managed recoil" slugs I was referring to are copper solid sabot type that are smaller than bore diameter encased in a plastic sleeve or "sabot". These are more accurate but only when fired in a rifled barrel.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts