close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new Henry owner today

Discussion in 'Henry' started by Paper, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

I made the mistake of walking back to the sporting good section at the Mill's Fleet Farm in Beaver Dam, WI on Tuesday.. Oh, look guns on sale!!

The regular .22 lever action's were on sale for $224.95..

So, I ask if I can take a look at the one in the cabinet.. Sweet lil' .22.. So, I ask if I can take a look at a couple new ones in the box to cherry pick the stocks?? The guy at the counter smiles and 20 seconds I have 3 boxes in front of me.. :)

I picked out a beauty, did the paper work, and stopped by today and picked it up on my way home from Escanaba, MI..

So, tonight I'll be doing a cleaning.. Haven't decided if I want to mount a scope on it or not.. I've got a Vortex 1.5x4x32 at home, waiting to be mounted on a rifle.. Dunno.. Have to play and think about it..

Anyway, yes, photos to follow.. :)

2. Great gun

You should really like it.

3. BadHabit

BadHabit G&G Newbie

Congrats on the new rifle.

4. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

That's close to what I paid for my Henry about three years ago at Wal Mart. I've told my grandson he could have it whenever his parents will let him keep it at home. He's 10 yrs old now...I think plenty old enough now. Also, we've gone target shooting with it and it's a perfect fit for him.

So now I'm beginning to think I might buy a Golden Boy. Don't have any idea how much higher they are ...but I know they're up there a lot.

Good luck with your Henry. It's a classic, IMHO.

Ox

5. my1871colt45

my1871colt45 G&G Evangelist

Oklahoma
    Congrats you lucky guy. No Henry's here but i wish i did have.

6. Paper

Thanks guys! The action is really smooth (with no ammo in it) but the trigger's a little gritty, and weighs in right at 3 pounds of pull..

Hope to go shoot it tomorrow..

I keep looking at it with a scope just sitting on top, and it's just not right looking.. I'm thinking it's kinda like my Nylon 66, and is a rifle made to be shot with iron sights.. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

OK, don't know how I missed this! Very nice rifle Ms. Paper! I can hear those squirrels quaking in their boots as we speak!

So, did ya shoot it???!!! Did ya? Did ya? Huh? Huh?!!!!!

8. Paper

Didn't think I'd catch that, did you???

It's in a case, sitting by my front door and will be shot today.. Mostly just for function since it's windy as hell out there!! Just going to wander into a local quarry and run a couple tubes of LR's through it.. Maybe find the least windy corner and see how much it'll torment a soup can.

Giggle meter to follow..

9. texnmidwest

Well, sounds like a lot of fun! Hopefully that can will jump each time you shoot! Trick is to keep hitting it as it jumps farther and farther down range! I never cease to be amazed at the distance an aluminum soda can bounces when hit with a 22lr!

Range pics are always appreciated!

10. Paper

I'll do my best Chuck Connors imitation.. Rifleman, not Branded.. :)

11. Jay

Jay Old man, No tact... Staff Member

Congratulations on the new rifle. I agree about the scope/iron sight thing, but my old eyes don't seem to work well with iron sights... even with three lenses. One of these days, I may have to have a lever action sale...

12. sell33

sell33 G&G Newbie

Nice rifle! My brothers and I just got one exactly like that for my dad for Christmas. He loves it, but is in the same dilemma as you regarding sights. It looks fantastic without them, but his eyes aren't what they used to be so I believe it will have a scope on it soon enough. When shooting open sights at 35 yards I couldn't get a group any better than about 2" so I kind of want him to scope it simply because I know it will do better than that.

I just haven't shot with open sights enough to be really accurate I guess. I don't exactly love the sights on it though. With open sights on my 10/22 I can do an inch at the same distance, so I guess I just don't like the sights.

Anyway now that I have rambled on, I am sure you will love it with or without a scope, but it sounds like that scope you have sitting at home is meant for a 22!

13. Paper

Thanks guys!! I'm planning on getting some florescent orange model paint like Testors or something on that line to help seeing that black front site post. This one has the new rear sight, which has a vertical white line up the center of the buckhorn. I'm told they changed this in the middle of last year (2010) to make it easier to see.

The stock is made for iron sights, and my cheek weld feels perfect.. We'll see..

And wouldn't it be fun to shoot in a CMP .22 sporter match!!! (That, my friends, is Trolling) My quarry should be along any minute..)

14. flyingbrkracing

flyingbrkracing G&G Enthusiast

One of these is on my short list,about the third one from the top,but I watched the infomercial they have out and read a thread about the high level of customer service and now seeing that pretty rifle may have just moved it up a notch.
    Very nice!

15. texnmidwest

From the corner window....peek right....peek left.....listen for any tell tell signs of a major predator.....all quiet.

CMP rimfire match with a lever gun? Heck, do it! I would love to see the look on some of those guys when you out score them with a lever action 22 when they have their Marlin mod 60s!

16. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Nice little rifle Paper.

17. That action will be just as smooth with ammo in it. A scope just kills the look of a lever gun and the Henry doesn't need one.

18. Jay

Jay Old man, No tact... Staff Member

Most rifles never need scopes. It's the shooter that needs a scope. When you get to be my age and glasses clash with iron sights, will you get rid of all your lever guns? Maybe you'll just sit there and look at 'em, remembering how much fun they used to be to shoot.

Not me. I'll slap a scope on 'em, and use 'em. Those that can't tolerate the "look", should avert their eyes.

I like the "look" of open-sighted lever rifles too, but not to the exclusion of scoping one, in order to keep shooting it.

19. deadzero

deadzero G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

great little rifle you got there. I got the Golden Boy for christmas. after I shot the thing for the first time I got a big grin and started wondering why it took me so long to buy one. I never thought a lever gun could be so accurate.

one word of advice, when you do get a chance to take it out, bring plenty of ammo. it's like them potato chips, you cant shoot just 1.....

p.s. I have a whole lot of fun with them little plastic spinning squrrel targets made by Champion. (got 2 so far to make me switch back and forth between em to try and get em both spinning)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

20. I'm 55 and diabetic. My eyesight isn't what it used to be. I don't shoot nearly as well as I once did but it's still not too shabby. When I can't use a semi buckhorn I'll go to a full buckhorn, already have on a couple of rifles.

[​IMG]