close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new Henry owner today

Discussion in 'Henry' started by Paper, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Jay

Jay Old man, No tact... Staff Member

That's great. I have buckhorns on a couple of rifles as well. Do the best ya can with what ya got. When I can no longer function reasonably with the buckhorns, (which are iron sights) then I'll decide whether to scope it or not. Peep, or tang sights are also intermediate measures that I've taken, and they work well for me.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
    neophyte and Dan22 like this.
  2. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

Well, I put a nice golfball size hole in a hunk of tin at about 50' with ten rounds. It was windy, cold, and I'd just finished filling the back of my truck with firewood.. I'm thinking it's shooting an inch or so low, but I'll find out later when I can shoot it at the range in a little better conditions..

And, today was the first time I've ever said the following words.. "I wish I had a cowboy hat." :)

[​IMG]

GSFixit and neophyte like this.

3. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Concentration

Paper: Sir :) dedicated concentration:). Continue with "range" reports:)

4. Jay

Jay Old man, No tact... Staff Member

It's a fun gun, and you'll only get better with it.

In case you didn't know it, brims on cowboy hats are rolled up so you can get three cowboys in the front seat of a pick-up truck. Couldn't help it. That's older than I am... :boggled:

5. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

If you are tryin' to be Chuck Conners, your stance is all wrong! LOL!!!!

Sounds like that little rifle is a great shooter!

I happen to know a bit about Cowboy Hats. I will advise that inexperienced Cowboy hat wearers wearing the hat in a high wind will spend more time chasing that hat down wind then they will wearing it! However, I would recommend a fairly wide brim, tall crown and of course at least a 4x beaver! Stetson or Resistol.....size 9 1/2! :09:

6. Paper

I though the stance was wrong, but I was mostly working on the glare.. :) I had my glasses on for the first couple photos, and then remembered that Chuck didn't wear glasses..

I'll work on the stance, glare, rifle position on the next episode's opening credits..

And the hat, too.. :)

neophyte likes this.
  7. texnmidwest

OK, I will give you that one....the proper glare is something that needs practice and an intimidating glare and sneer can over come the sissiness of an improper stance. The "bow-legged" stance could be the result of many years is the saddle of an over fed horse!

Just remember, only the bad guys wore black hats. They were also the ones who had the widest brims. I would recommend a silver belly stetson as your first hat. Tall but not too tall.....too tall and it will hit the roof of the car! And of course, proper fit. 9 1/2 to 9 3/8 should work well for you.

8. Paper

Basically, I think I've got two things to work on..

Hat, and fat... :)

[​IMG]

9. texnmidwest

Don't we all! ROFLMAO!!!! The hat is much easier to work with!

However, there is a remarkable similarity to those pictures! LOL!

10. I'm looking to buy a Henry 30-30 in the next couple of months :)

I'd like to get a .22 also just for the fun of it. I have a Cooey bolt action about 50 years old.

:)

11. mollysdaddy

mollysdaddy G&G Enthusiast

You lucky feller!

I'm so jealous I could spit! :crying:

12. Dan22

Dan22 G&G Evangelist

I bought a new Golden Boy .22 LR in early December and found I could hold right-handed but sight with either eye.

My right eye had a detached retina a few years ago and still isn't back to the way it was so I've switched to left eye but being able to hold right-handed is a plus for me.

None of my other .22's will allow me to do this.

Being able to sight with either eye is a great survival bonus.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    GSFixit and neophyte like this.