new hunter

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by KingMusa45, May 10, 2008.

1. KingMusa45

KingMusa45 G&G Newbie

ive never been hunting before but i am interested in going asap.i dont know anyone that hunts or were to get info on the subject.i live in atl ga someone help the newbi.

2. What do you intend to hunt this time of year ? Are you buying a shotgun, rifle both ?
    More info please...A.H

3. turner

turner Guest

+1..... Also as a new hunter to be, be aware that you must take and pass a Hunter Safety course prior to hunting. It's a good introduction to guns and hunting that puts some very important facts about gun and hunting safety foremost in your mind. Years ago many may have bemoaned the idea of having to take such a course, but it is an important part in learning firearm safety. I've met enough middle aged men who quite obviously never learned very basic gun handling safety to feel today's hunters are the safest group of outdoorsmen/women we've likely ever had and our extrmely low accident rate throughout the country today bears this out. Once you've completed your course, hopefully you might have met some fellow hunters that may be willing to discuss different types of hunting along with possibly helping you with a place, or in finding a place to hunt. I may be old-fashioned with this idea, but, I believe all new hunters should begin their hunting careers hunting some type of small game such as rabbits, squirrels or like. Even if you are planning on focusing on big game such as deer later on, the time spent in the woods pursuing small game will be a true learning experience, I promise. Best of luck and continue to ask away!

4. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Welcome to G&G King. The first step is to take a Hunter Safety Course. Even if you are not required to do so.

5. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

Exactly, the only thing I can add to this is: contact your state dept of fish and game, they will provide hunting regulations and Hunter Safety Training course and schedule.

6. TAKE A HUNTER EDUCATION COURSE! That is the first thing you shoud do. Then decide what you want to hunt. Buy the proper guns and get a license. You might want to go with someone the first time.

7. As others have said, you'll need to take a hunter safety course. Since you're in Atlanta, the NRA surely conducts firearms safety classes in your area. They could likely fill in on subjects missed by Hunter Safety.

While you're at it look into public ranges, or better yet find a gun club in the area. Hang out at the lunch counter if they have one. More than likely you'll finds folks there who would be pleased to mentor a beginner. Time on the range will also give you a chance to become more familiar with your gun.

AH asked what you intend to hunt this time of year as do I. Your choices will be quite limited due to season regulations. If you're intent on hunting bird, look into feral pigeons and your states reg's on them. Here in Kansas you can shoot them year round, there's no bag limit and they're good eats to boot.

8. lewy_08

lewy_08 Guest

hello

will you be my freind

9. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

We are all here to be your friend, and to provide you with whatever information you may need.

10. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Harvest

KingMusa45: You have had the best of the best respond.

Recognize the quarry that you would like to chase to harvest, select an appropriate caliber, practice until proficient then practice until comfortable.
    Your, my, their skill comes with practice, and being respectful of the quarry.
    Be humane and responsible.

Adding; in Geogia, hawgs. Farmers have hawgs that need displacing.

11. Legba

Legba G&G Newbie

Listen to what they are saying about the hunter education course. I took my 9 year old nephew to one a month ago. I was very happy with what they taught. I learned a few things myself. Check out your states DNR website and download the hunting regulations. Georgia Department of Natural Resources - Home On the home page off to the left click on Look up current hunting season/regulations. Then you can download the info onto your computer.
    neophyte wrote- "Recognize the quarry that you would like to chase to harvest, select an appropriate caliber, practice until proficient then practice until comfortable.
    Your, my, their skill comes with practice, and being respectful of the quarry.
    Be humane and responsible."
    This is some of the best advice Ive heard for new hunters and old alike. Also remember after you pull the trigger is when the real work starts. You have to learn how to gut and skin the animal also. Don't stop asking questions. You have come to the right place to learn. Good luck and keep us updated.

12. forgunsandgame

forgunsandgame Guest

South of Atlanta the guys do pretty well on hogs, so once you complete your course, you may want to study up on hunting those. It's a lot of fun and they taste good.
    And at the rifle range don't be shy. Talk to the range officers and let people know that you're new but would like to find someone to hunt with. You're not likely to be the only person looking for a hunting partner.

13. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

14. ruffman

ruffman Guest

Have to agree with the other posts... Us huntin' guys are in general a freindly bunch, so seek out their advice at the range, gun shop, etc... Several of the larger cities have indoor ranges or "clubs" with display firearms that can be used at the range... A cheap way to work up the caliber/gauge ladder as your comfort increases...
    Start small and move up... A .22 long rifle might be a good place to start at the range and then move to hunting varmits like groundhogs... Farmers hate them so access is easy... A good way for practicing getting access to hunt later on.

+1 on the hunter safety course... I took mine last year at age 35 for an out of state hunt and can honestly say I learned more than one important lesson...

Most importantly: Always remember that hunting is not about killing, killing is part of it but not the reason we do it... Some of my best hunts have brought me home empty handed... The excitement of a close encounter, near miss, or blown opportunity is often more memorable than success... Good luck and good hunting