Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do new ithaca model 37 shotguns have the same trigger as they did years ago that would allow you to rack the slide without releasing the trigger?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Negative on the "slam-fire" triggers on newer Ithacas. Lawyers killed that feature years ago, at least on civilian shotguns.

·
Registered
1 Posts
not the same but better!

you are right lawyers did away with that feature a long time ago. todays triggers for ithica shotguns are being made with much more precision than the castings of the past thanks to advances in machining. the triggers on new ithaca shotguns are much crisper and more resemble that of a rifle than a shotgun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
used Ithaca

Hi, I was looking for a pistol grip 12GA shotgun for home protection and for plinking. I always like something a little bit "rare." I just found a used Ithaca 37 with the slamfiring feature at local store. I don't know how rare it is, and the shop owner didn't really know about Ithaca shotguns. It looks like hardly used, maybe ex-police shotgun. Its grips says MOD.37, so that looks a factory grip to me....

I would like to ask your opinion. The price was $320 plus DROS. Do you think this is a right price? I don't know the price range for those slam fire models. Is this type Ithank hard to come by?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I wouldn't want that feature. I can repeatedly pull a trigger faster than I can rack a slide, and would want to aim each shot at least to some extent before racking and firing.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If it looked hardly used then $320 is a good deal.

That pistol grip cannot be factory, IMO. Not on a gun that old.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't believe that "slam-fire" is illegal, yet "open-bolt" is. I Have an Ithaca M37 M&P with the 8 rd tube, it's a slam-fire. Not too many years ago I remember a firm selling a single shot slam-fire triggerless shotgun, basically a survival weapon. It had a fixed firing pin and the barrel slid with a chambered round. To fire the barrel was quickly moved to the rearward postion striking the fixed pin firing the arm.....

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Vintovki
I have one of thoes in my collection. They sold for about nothing and were made in the Philippines. It is basicly a pipe barrel that slides inside a larger one which has a fixed firingpin at its base. Not worth a damn but interesting.

DANA

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
probably not

But on the other hand I hope Ithaca (whoever owns it now) has moved past some of the lesser quality metal work that plagued past owners.
It is a classic shotgun and when well built should last for decades without any repair. Although he is now deceased, I had an uncle who fired his Ithaca so many times the chamber actually enlarged letting you hear a shell slightly rattle when shaken in the chamber.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts