Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a bit of research and found out that typical Red dot scopes that I have on my .22 MKII have been chewed up from rifles/shotguns and/or big bor pistols, BUUUT the laser sight aluminum encased lasers can tak mor punch, so I picked this lil guy up. Its a "Center point" laser sight accurate in low light cpnditions up to 200 yds, daylight rated for 50 yds. BUUUTT my redhawk didn't have the scope rails soooo, I made them. I drew, cut and designed the scope rail and mounting screw grooves all myself, and then re-applied the bead blast finish to blend in with the regular finish.

I'm pretty proud of it. Its the first actual "cuttting, or permamnent" mod I've ever done. Lemme know what you think.

Anyhow, as you can see its mounted very solid. I haven't had a chance to sight it in, but I'm gonna start off with .44 spl JUST IN CASE the shock damages it. I don't think it will. I read about the "red dot" style but they have all the refractive optic lenses that can't ALWAYS take a punch. All this lil guy is just a laser pointer in an aluminum housing.

But just for giggles, would a piece of something like neoprene, rubber, or some soft material between the laser frame and the gun frame take a little wear n tear off it?

Oh and if you look close you can see that the way I did it, I cut it and seatet it to allow to keep the iron sights ON it. So a quick allen wrench turn and my iron sights are still in place and sighted in. Cool huh?

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Nice job John !! I love it when you guys can just build what you need. I would not recommend a "buffer" for the laser as it would become your "weakest link".

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice job John !! I love it when you guys can just build what you need. I would not recommend a "buffer" for the laser as it would become your "weakest link".
Well thank you. I have really gotten into gutting/ partswapping and modifying guns in the last couple of years. Mostly handguns. I seem to have pretty good aptitude for it and the fellas on this site have lent some awesome advise if I do get stumped, but I've always been leary of grinding/cutting mods. But that was done with just a dremmel, and some patience. I think I'm gonna take a gunsmithing course/ or some sort of formal training either online or wherever I can and maybe do it on the side. But yeah I think the buffer comment is rihht. Seems like soft material add ons don't play out well on most firearms.

But thanks again.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
^As long as you like it and it works for you it suits me.Dremmels or any other metal remover are all last resort for me and only used in extreme cases where I have no doubts whether it will work.Metal can be removed so easily,but often if it doesn't work it is impossible to replace what has been removed. (In other words,I have very little use for a dremel,but a lot of use for a good gunsmith and research first,before removing/grinding anything.I am pleased that you are satisfied.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I always monkey with my guns, to the point that it usually irritataes others. Actually I polished that redhawk too. I am about 2more polishings from it being how I want it. A lot of people like that bead-blast finish, and my wife said she didn't want me to polish it, and if she HADN'T said that to me I wouldn't have polished it.

I have this unshakable defiant nature and when someone says not to do something or it can't be done I do it. I thought I would have grown out of it but not really. I HAVE grown out of doing destructive stupid things but defiant nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
That looks like a .44 Magnum Red Hawk.

It also looks like you grooved the sides of the top strap.

Very nice and clean job. Looks good.

I probably would not have done it, but if it works for you, cool.

I would be concerned about removing metal from the top strap if it were any other .44 Mag than a Ruger. They are built pretty stout.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup pretty small grooves in the very top. Its where the sight recess already is. There's a lot. Of fols who wouldn't. Which is why I made it so subdtle and clean, that it really doesn't stand out.

And as you stated it is a redhawk. If it were any other model I would have installed the typical scope mount rail that gets loose after 5 shots. So mines permanent. Oh well. Its done now.

Only prob with cutting. You can't UN cut it.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
^As long as you own the firearm it will be priceless to you,"BUT" if a person cut/ground grooves or such on a firearm and later went to sell to a gunshop or dealer the price of replacement of said part grooved/ground on would be deducted from the value of the firearm.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^As long as you own the firearm it will be priceless to you,"BUT" if a person cut/ground grooves or such on a firearm and later went to sell to a gunshop or dealer the price of replacement of said part grooved/ground on would be deducted from the value of the firearm.
Yup. Ooorr if someone likes it BETTER with the laser sight it may go up. That whole gun is a custome 3 1/2" model stamped "mowrey customs" so its not like I took a factory redhawk and made a mod to it.

The whole principal of a 3 1/2 " redhawk is so unappealing to some that they would never consider it anyway. It happens to be exactly what I wanted so you never know. Besides. When you pop the laser off you can hardly tell. The iron sights still stay in place too. So its not like a traditional conversion where the iron sights are removed.

Oh an no matter what you do to them the chance of a handgun going UP in value from user to user is 1 in 1000. A used gun like the pearl handled Luger Hitler killed himself with, or the gun that shot Lincoln maybe LoL!. But I never get back what I put into them. Kinda sucks. Even when I sold my 1911, the shop owner TOLD me "take those cuustom grips and all that if you want, its not makin the gun worth more" so... I decided ill do what I want to them from now on.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
^ Hitler commited suicide with cyanide and shot himself at the same time with a Walther 7.65 PPK.Also,often what I have done to handguns made them go up in value.Otherwise I wouldn't have done it.Seabeascotty evidently gets them to go up in value. (Some of it is just good ol' horse trading tho.Just never sell at a loss.)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ Hitler commited suicide with cyanide and shot himself at the same time with a Walther 7.65 PPK.Also,often what I have done to handguns made them go up in value.Otherwise I wouldn't have done it.Seabeascotty evidently gets them to go up in value. (Some of it is just good ol' horse trading tho.Just never sell at a loss.)
Ahh I thought cyanide was involved. But I did not know it was a PPk. Anyhow I got the redhawk for 500. They msrp at around 8 new. I believe. I have naevr made money on my guns unless I buy them dirt cheap in the 1st place. I bought a Taurus pt92 for 350, sold it for 500. Did NOTHING to it. And when I bought the redhawk I planned on it being a keeeper. That was pretty specific criteria I was looking for.

And I NEVER expect to get more unless someone wants a ruger .44 with an "integral" mount. Like I said before, a little more polishing (I've been kinda busy) it will look natural. And there's always that "what's a good gun" guy (no offense meant to anyone here) that won't know or care.

I guess that makes me a tad morally bankrupt? Well I don't mean to br.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh and its not like i did a "hack job" it really is subtle and very clean. And very even. I did however polish off the bead blast finish. Its ploished stainless right now, but what I want next for it is that nice dark grey bead blast finish on the "super redhawks" I love that finish. Just gotta save my pennies and have someone do that one for me. THAT is above my level of tinkering I believe.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
You should be proud that you did it yourself to please you.I am very proud of you.The only reason I mentioned it was for the jobs I've seen done by people that it should be unlawful for them to own/posses a firearm and a dremel at the same time.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You should be proud that you did it yourself to please you.I am very proud of you.The only reason I mentioned it was for the jobs I've seen done by people that it should be unlawful for them to own/posses a firearm and a dremel at the same time.
Yup seen the same. The worst I saw, this guy had traded in a Rock River or a Safari arms (can't remember which) but a NICE 1911 and he ETCHED his initials on the FRAME! Just below the slide safety. Not under the grip, bottom of the mainspring housing, nooooo right on the frame. And, ok I get the initial thing, mine says "MOWREY CUSTOMS" on the top strap. But its done really nice. This looked like it was done with a drill bit by a parkinsons victim going down a bumpy road. I have "goofed" etchings but its easy to buff it out and fix. But this was funny. And really. It took a nice 1911 and whacked the price by 1/3. So I try not to do anything like THAT. And there are those reading this thinking "you just did" but if you saw it, without the laser, honestly, you would have to know Ruger Redhawks to even notice it, and even then, it looks like its just a part of the customization.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts