close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New law outlaws term "Oriental" for people of Asian descent

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Man now PC is law....were did I put my honky ***** attornies telephone #....

New law outlaws term "Oriental" for people of Asian descent

Olympia, Washington-AP -- State lawmakers in Washington have banned the word "Oriental" from official documents as a description of people of Asian descent.

The switch affects statutes, codes, rules and regulations.

The bill was introduced by state Senator Paull Shin. He modeled it on Martin Luther King's efforts to outlaw the word "Negro" because of its link to slavery.

Shin says the term "Oriental" was first used to describe everything east of London, then to describe people with certain physical features and mysterious ways. He says it's considered offensive.

Many lawmakers says they had no idea "Oriental" is perceived as a slur.

Six lawmakers from Eastern Washington opposed the change.

Copyright 2002 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

2. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Hey this is my freakin' backyard!

Yet in Seattle, 60 miles to the north. the school districts are being sued because the only have ONE catagory on their registration forms for all Asians.

If you are Amer-asian, you can't sign up for school. You can't check two boxes.

Not bad from the place that has the third biggest "Oriental" population! Also the only "Oriental" governor in the U.S.!

My "Oriental" Ole lady thinks the entire lot of us americans are a tad wacky :)

3. and she may be right bud, look at the stupid crap we are reading every day, PC this, PC that. the h**l with it we are all nuts in this country, how else could you make sence of why we put up with this crap.

4. Now now Armorer "My Asian Ole lady"

5. Un-fricken believable. I thought it was hard enough to figure out the difference between aboriginals, native Canadians, indians, and first nation, people. At first it seemed easy as my wife and family were Cree indians, now their just Cree, it,s easier. What's next ? As far as I'm considered we're all just Canadians.

6. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

Now you know where all the frustrated Californicators are moving to. Armorer, I hope they stay on your side of the cascades my friend. We got our boys to vote against that stupidity, but they never listen to anyone from this side of the state back in Olympia anymore. They just take our money and laugh. They made Dixie Lee Ray look like an imbecile, yet they continue to spend billions to support her legacy. Go figure. At least you don't have to deal with the huge migrant hispanic population over there. They sure do get in the way over here a lot.

7. Looking at some of the restaurant names around Phoenix with 'Oriental' in them I wonder how many of them in Washington are gonna have to change their names...if, IF, they do?

8. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Thats pretty tame compared to gook,slanteyes,slope,dink,and zipperhead. I thought since they came from the Orient they were Orientals? I think the acceptance of Asians have come a long way since the slurs that used to be thrown around as I posted above. Everyones getting too touchy.

9. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

In proper etiquette and grammar oriental is used to describe things. Asain is used to describe people. But if everything in proper etiquette and grammar were law, this would be a worse world...

10. I don't think it is wise to lump the vietmanese, japanese, chinese, koreans and please forgive my ignorance- - any other ASIAN people into one category.

11. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

I have been using the term Asian for years,just seemed to fit better.
    Colt 45,when I first heard the term political correctness on the Rush Limbaugh show I though it was a joke.I soon saw that the media went for it in a big way and that started persuading the politicians to do the same.Soon laws and regulations that were based on political correctness were enacted and became the law of the land. Now if we don't adhier to them we will all suffer the consequences!You know what I mean,CRASH,were from the gummint,were here to help!
    If things don't go well in 2004 I think we will see a lot more of it!
    :nod: :nod: :nod: :mad:

12. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    My ex Ol' lady was half Thai and half West Virginian. All I can say is stay away from that combination! They systematically metamorphisize into satan or a near facsimile. Sheww!

13. Mr (T)

Mr (T) G&G Newbie

I think "Asians" are doing it the wrong way...rather than legislating laws of political correctness, if someone within earshot says the word "oriental," and they don't like it, they should correct that person the old fashioned way...beat the crap out of them!

Now that's behavior modification!

14. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

That usually works.:nod: :nod: :nod: :D

15. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

It is goofy to group all Asians together. There certainly are differences, physically and culturally, between Afghanis, Russians, Japanese, Indians, and Chinese, to name a few distinct populations.