Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary this past tuesday. I got her a nice gold and pearl necklace and she got me a nice Henry .22Mag to go along with my 17Hmr lever rifle. I'm anxiously waiting for the weather to cooperate so I can go out and shoot it. Have been wanting one for quite some time. Actually wanted the 22Mag before the 17Hmr but they seem to fly off the shelf faster here than the others do.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Been wanting to get me a Henry .22 mag. as well to go along with my Henry .22 lr.
After the mag. I want to get one in .45 colt. But before I can think about those I want to get a Uberti 1875 outlaw. My wish list will be ALMOST complete then. But as usual that list will probably grow in time.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been wanting to get me a Henry .22 mag. as well to go along with my Henry .22 lr.
After the mag. I want to get one in .45 colt. But before I can think about those I want to get a Uberti 1875 outlaw. My wish list will be ALMOST complete then. But as usual that list will probably grow in time.
I always tell the wife that i'm one gun away from completing my collection. When I buy the gun she will say now you're done and I always tell her I'm only one more away. She doesn't even ask anymore.

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
I like Henrys also and I collect Lever actions. Can we please see a pic of your new addition. We all like gun pics.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I like Henrys also and I collect Lever actions. Can we please see a pic of your new addition. We all like gun pics.
I've had other lever actions through the years. But at this time I only have 2. The first is a Win. 94 30-30 made in 74 (stock needs some TLC. Suggestions?) And....
20180421_182708.jpg
20180421_182617.jpg
my Henry .22 lr. I am hoping to add more in time as I said in my earlier post.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
I've had other lever actions through the years. But at this time I only have 2. The first is a Win. 94 30-30 made in 74 (stock needs some TLC. Suggestions?) And.... View attachment 92897 View attachment 92898 my Henry .22 lr. I am hoping to add more in time as I said in my earlier post.
Very good choices of rifles. I like the older Winchester model 94,s. I have seen new stocks lately form like two suppliers of gun parts. These were original new stock wood and were not extremely expensive. I will try and find who had them. You could also refinish your stock set because it is just the finish and no gouges or scratches. Heck I would leave it alone as it does not affect the shooting capability.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Very good choices of rifles. I like the older Winchester model 94,s. I have seen new stocks lately form like two suppliers of gun parts. These were original new stock wood and were not extremely expensive. I will try and find who had them. You could also refinish your stock set because it is just the finish and no gouges or scratches. Heck I would leave it alone as it does not affect the shooting capability.
Should I oil? If so with what? Maybe Mineral oil? Or should I sand down and redo? Its just a bit different in coloring.

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
Should I oil? If so with what? Maybe Mineral oil? Or should I sand down and redo? Its just a bit different in coloring.
If you sand them then I would remove them and light sand with fine paper till old finish gone. You could use Boiled linseed oil. Puts a nice finish but takes some time to dry. Have you ever used BLO before?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
If you sand them then I would remove them and light sand with fine paper till old finish gone. You could use Boiled linseed oil. Puts a nice finish but takes some time to dry. Have you ever used BLO before?
Never worked a stock before. Its just got some streaky areas that look dryer and less shiny.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never worked a stock before. Its just got some streaky areas that look dryer and less shiny.
I like to use a chemical stripper to remove the old finish. If I sand it off I run the risk of sanding to much and it's much quicker. just use a soft bristle tooth brush on the checkering to clean everything out and don't sand the checkering at all. I follow up with like 600 grit sandpaper to knock down the rough spots. Then use cheese cloth to wipe off any dust and then apply your finish of choice. Some people like to reduce the stain or oil with mineral spirits or other solvent so it will soak into the wood deeper on the first coat. Some woods are denser than others and this may or may not help. I apply the stain with my fingers and rub it in. Let it dry and then use either 1000 grit or steel wool to knock down any imperfections. Then apply several more coats of finish doing the same thing each coat.
It takes a couple of days to do this but it's worth it in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
My wife and I celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary this past tuesday. I got her a nice gold and pearl necklace and she got me a nice Henry .22Mag to go along with my 17Hmr lever rifle. I'm anxiously waiting for the weather to cooperate so I can go out and shoot it. Have been wanting one for quite some time. Actually wanted the 22Mag before the 17Hmr but they seem to fly off the shelf faster here than the others do.
Congratulations on the Anniversary, and the new Henry!

Once you start shooting the .22 Magnum, regularly, you may find the same thing I did, the 17HMR is superfluous.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congratulations on the Anniversary, and the new Henry!

Once you start shooting the .22 Magnum, regularly, you may find the same thing I did, the 17HMR is superfluous.
Thank you on the anniversary.

I think the 17HMR is a great round and makes a mess out of small game. A little flatter trajectory but not so much better than the 22WMR that it's head and shoulders above it.
The 22 Mag does penetrate better and doesn't leave quite the mess the 17 does.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Palladin8, I have had the Henry in .22mag for around 10 years now, and I have enjoyed owning it. Smooth action, good looking. You may find the hood over the front sight to be easily popped off - keep an eye on that. I was carrying mine around in dense woods and snagged it on a small branch. Several steps later, noticed the hood was gone. It took some special cuss words and a bit of pawing through thorny brush and leaves, but I found it and replaced it. Also, the finish on the receiver is easily scratched.
Small squibbles compared to the overall pleasure of owning it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts