Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Palladin8, I have had the Henry in .22mag for around 10 years now, and I have enjoyed owning it. Smooth action, good looking. You may find the hood over the front sight to be easily popped off - keep an eye on that. I was carrying mine around in dense woods and snagged it on a small branch. Several steps later, noticed the hood was gone. It took some special cuss words and a bit of pawing through thorny brush and leaves, but I found it and replaced it. Also, the finish on the receiver is easily scratched.
Small squibbles compared to the overall pleasure of owning it.
I am thinking of replacing the sights on the 22 mag to the same ones I have on the 17HMR which are the fiber optic sights. Or find a set that has a brass or white bead. The fiber optic sights aren’t as nice looking as a set of traditional sights but they sure are quicker to pick up and stand out better on dark backgrounds.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I let a nephew borrow it - who explained to me that he'd "fixed" my sights. I had to re-adjust them after finding my shots going 1 o'clock high at 30 yards. I normally use a 40g bullet [ CCI, Federal ] at less than 50 yards with the Henry. He was using lighter [like 30g] loads at longer distances and according to him, doing very well. I think it's in how you see the sights, and the range you're shooting at. I've used the Henry on regular, free-standing .22 lr range; for longer shots, I've used my scoped/bipod Marlin XT22M - which likes the lighter weight bullets.
My eyes went to heck after 50.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts