close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Matthews bow

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by oneastrix, Apr 23, 2002.

1. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I was given a Matthews brand bow and all the trimmings. It was a heck of a nice gesture. I would like to get into the bow hunting sport. I know nothing about it as of now. Is Matthews a good solid bow? I'm not a wimp, but can barely pull it back. How light should one go on the string lbs and still remain safe for hunting? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

2. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    you have some top end equipment to start out with. As far as hunting check your sates regs. they usually tell you what poundage of bow weight and length of draw etc. is acceptable. When you first start, crank down the poundage. concentrate on follow through good form etc. It takes a bit of muscle training to learn a bow. The results with dedicated practice can be very rewarding. I'm not trying to chase anyone off but this may compliment this site www.bowhuntingmag.com if you have a decent shop around go buy a few arrows and have yourself and the bow checked out for fit, this may save some time in the long run. my first bow was a hand me down. i was glad to have it but shot it for 3 years with too short of a draw.
    good luck