Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Mauser K98 Pics are up

Well I was at a gun show today in Centralia, WA and came across this Mauser. I started looking at it. The old fella that was there was telling me about it. The numbers aren't matching, but for about $200 on a good looking Mauser, I couldn't really say no to that. Theres byf 42 stamped on the receiver. He said it was re-barreled, but I took a look at the bore, and its really nice. Pics are up.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle, sounds like a good deal. I have russian capture that is non-matching, but a really good shooter.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as it being a Russian capture, I have no clue. You guys would have to say. Yea, #s matching the guy said would be $500-600. But he didn't specify on anything specific. I walked in and saw it and it was still there when I went to the ATM, and fortunately it was still there when I got back, so I got it. And picked up a tin of 7.62x54R while I was there. But, here are the pics. You guys can tell me all about it now. I know its Mauser manufactured. And is the 42 the date? There are some eagle over swastika stamps on it. As for that, the bolt stamp on the handle matches the receiver, but the black housing has a different number stamped on it. I'll have to dissect it later. It was in great shape when I picked it up. The old man I bought it from said his old eyes could see to shoot 2 or 2.5 inch group I think he said at 100, maybe he said 75. So I will see if I can improve on that.

Here are the pics. Should be able to see the #s on it well. I'd like to find a bayo for it. Not that I'd probly need it for anything, but it would be cool to have one. And what does the gg mean in the serial number? There are two things I don't like about it already.....The mag has to be depressed to close the bolt on empty, and the other is the gun can't talk. If it could, I'm sure there would be days and days of history it would tell me. Anyways, any info is appreciated. Out the door for $230. And I tried to get some good pics of the bore. It can be partially seen in the two pics I have up. But that was another reason I thought I had better buy it. It looked sooo good.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Boy, sales tax is a bitch in your area - $230 = $30 tax = 15%.
Yes it is a very late (gg on ser nr) 1942 made at Oberndorff (byf). The chiseled X over the ser nr on the rec = RC.
It could be a rebarrel, but if so there should be .02 stamped on the bbl colar against the rec. I see No markings at all except the Beschutz (firing proof) eagle - what is under the wood?
The follower is made that way to prevent closing the bolt on an empty mag durring the stress of combat.
What do you mean by - the bolt stamp on the handle matches the receiver, but the black housing has a different number stamped on it. Photos!
You got a hell of a good deal at $200. It even has the correkt type stock on it.
Sarge

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boy, sales tax is a bitch in your area - $230 = $30 tax = 15%.
Yes it is a very late (gg on ser nr) 1942 made at Oberndorff (byf). The chiseled X over the ser nr on the rec = RC.
It could be a rebarrel, but if so there should be .02 stamped on the bbl colar against the rec. I see No markings at all except the Beschutz (firing proof) eagle - what is under the wood?
The follower is made that way to prevent closing the bolt on an empty mag durring the stress of combat.
What do you mean by - the bolt stamp on the handle matches the receiver, but the black housing has a different number stamped on it. Photos!
You got a hell of a good deal at $200. It even has the correkt type stock on it.
Sarge
Yes, I agree sales tax sucks here. But I was fortunate enough to not have to pay any. Whether he was just a private vendor or whatever. I didn't pay any sales tax on the ammo I bought down there either. I have been to some where I paid it and some I haven't.

I suppose I could use correct terminology for the part on the bolt, might help clear things up. The stamp on the handle of the bolt body where it protrudes from the bolt body has a stamp matching the serial number. However, then bolt sleeve has a differently stamped number on it, as well as an electro-penciled number matching the serial number stamped on the receiver.

I removed the stock from the barrel assembly and was unable to find the .02 as you said in the specified area. I did find a "0" stamp located on the underside of the barrel directly below the adjustable sights. And then other number and letter stamps that are kind of jumbled together on the bottom side of the forward hole where the screws go into the stock to hold the barrel to it.

Whether its been re-barreled I don't know. It looks good, and it shoots pretty good too. I am satisfied.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Very nice! I don't know that I'll be buying lots of Mosins like other guys here, but I WOULD like to have a nice K98.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
That's the one I'm looking for.
Good find Iron Colonel

looking around the end of barrel, does it have any importers markings?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hey Jack, check out Classic Arms. (Firearms)
I bought one from there that I am really happy with. They even throw in a cleaning rod. Cool thing about classic is that each K98 is described from manufacturer, to bore condition, to wood. Pretty decent prices too. Just be sure you call early in the morning to get the one you want from the list he posts every day or two.
Also, don't forget that he has the cool tobacco can cleaning kits for dirt cheap, and some cool repro slings.

As for the import marks, its very inconspicuous, placed in between the bottom of the muzzle end of the barrel and the cleaning rod. :)

p.s. I went out to get mine sighted in today, and minus shooting way high, it shot a good three inch group.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The cleaning kits they have are post war Bundeswehr used from the late 50s into the 70s. They are identical to the WW 2 except for 2 items - WW 2 had no brush and had a disassembly/chamber cleaning tool commonly referred to as a "spoon" which these lack. For what they have the price is dirt cheap!
Sarge

·
Registered
741 Posts
Nice rifle. It was made by Mauser Werke A.G., Oberndorf-am-Neckar, in 1942. That eagle on the barrel means it is probably an original barrel, but the comment about rebarreling would cause concern. Best have a gunsmith do a chamber cast before firing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts