New mayer of Muskogee, Oklahoma

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jmp8927, May 28, 2008.

1. bigbuddy21

bigbuddy21 G&G Enthusiast

i've heard everything now.

2. WOW! 19yrs. old and a Mayor. I wonder where he stands on gun issues and the 2nd Amendment only being 19?

3. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Hey,look at it this way,he is still young enough to know everything,in a few years he will realize that he just might not and it will be too late to do a better job than anyone else could possibly do!.:drive:

4. Lizard

Lizard G&G Newbie

The story wasn't written by Oklahoma people,

Best known as the subject of country legend Merle Haggard's 1969 hit "Okie from Muskogee," the unassuming city of 38,000 is considered the archetype of virtuous, small town America, a "place where even squares can have a ball."
    Muskogee is known for being violent, jobless, and corrupt. Not a whole lot different from several other towns in Oklahoma, especially as you get over into Little Dixie.

I can see why people would vote for a young man that sounded intelligent. Their choices for so many years were old men with political IOU's that would shake your hand, smile, pat you on the back like a buddy and sell out the city to whatever contractor would hand them a thick envelope or send them on a trip.

I remember one political assasination that took place on the court house steps within the last 20 years. They sent the kid away, but he pulled off what he wanted, in plain sight. He took out the major rival for his family's power, even though he wound up going to jail.

5. Good luck to the kid. Who knows...if he doesn't crash and burn, we may be looking at a future president of the country.

6. DWFan

DWFan Handgunner

+1 Lizard
    The kid ran on a platform of eliminating political corruption. I wish him the best of luck and hope he succeeds. He's definitely got his work cut out for him.

7. CalifgirlinOk

CalifgirlinOk G&G Evangelist

I wish him all the luck in the world,he's going to need it.

8. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Yeah some of that "good ole boy crap" could possibly get in the way, and hinder his attempts to clean up the town. I wish him luck, but won't hold my breath. I've seen the good ole boys in action, and it's a difficult wall to take down. The best thing is, he is too young to be carrying any baggage, so he could possibly be a future Prez hopeful.