Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just registered as a new member on this forum. A few days ago I purchased a Chinese 56 SKS and have been browsing the internet for groups who have similar interests in this model

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Hi Larry G,welcome to a really good forum,you got a good one there so hang on to it as they are not coming into the country any more!:drive:

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Yeah I've got a Norinco Paratrooper that I love. A place up the street has a full size Norinco, missing the bayonet, for $150.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rave. I have been looking for quite awhile for a decent SKS "work' gun. I immediately took the bayonet off and I'm in the process of stripping and replacing a few worn parts with new ones. The gent I bought this rifle from was kind enough to include a gun case an 400 rounds of new ammo, so I think I did ok on the deal.
I have a quick question. I have seen several vendors offering new Yugo 59 parts, just wondering if they are compatible replacements for my 56?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Tex. The stock is a bit beat up so I am considering an aftermarket 'Monte Carlo' replacement, but the primary firing parts I want to replace are the stamped trigger assembly with a milled one, the receiver assembly has seen some heavy use (obviously worn) and adding a buffer spring, gas tube is slightly corroded as well. I plan no major modifications such as an extended magazine (10 rounds are more than enough for me). As I said, this is a 'work' gun and reliability is my primary goal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Arkansas. The SKS 56 I bought is my 'grab and go' long weapon and I figure I got a decent deal on it with the ammo, I can afford to make a few light modifications to it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Larry not sure what you mean by working gun? you on a ranch or something. it also seems with all the parts you want to change you could just buy another sks already in working order, they are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tex, I meant a ranch gun. The wood stock is quite a bit to heavy for me to be lugging around all day so I thought to replace with an aftermarket one, and the 'internals' I mentioned seem a bit worn.

·
Registered
234 Posts
yeah deffiantly the stock would be lighter, but i would first fire 60 to 100 rounds and if no problems arise I'd give it a cleaning and call it good. most people on here have put a few thousand rounds through there sks's and have not reported any major issues, except for Coyote but he was kind of a bonehead. I personally have fired about 600 to 700 rounds through my yugo with only one stovepipe and 2 duds(ammo issue not the sks's).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome, Larry. You picked a good rifle. They're my favorite. Tapco has many parts that may work. Chinese SKSs aren't that cheap anymore. Yugos are a dime a dozen, but they aren't Chinese SKSs.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
You have a very good basic rifle,if the stamped trigger group has the same ser. number as the rest of the gun I would keep it as is.
Most aftermarket stocks seem to be as heavy or heavier than the original,but some are cooler in appearance.
Sarco, Inc., Firearms, Firearms Parts and Accessories has all the original Chinese parts you may need/want at very good prices.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Welcome to the site. Sounds like you picked a good weapon there. I have a Yugo SKS, which I guess might be a little different than Chinese or Russian models, but the things kicks [email protected]#! I love it.

Keep us posted on what you do to it. Oh yeah, and pictures are always welcome here at gunandgame. We love pictures! :werd:

·
Premium Member
30,707 Posts
yeah deffiantly the stock would be lighter, but i would first fire 60 to 100 rounds and if no problems arise I'd give it a cleaning and call it good. most people on here have put a few thousand rounds through there sks's and have not reported any major issues, except for Coyote but he was kind of a bonehead. I personally have fired about 600 to 700 rounds through my yugo with only one stovepipe and 2 duds(ammo issue not the sks's).
that was funny.
thanks for the giggle.
he WAS kind of a bonehead wasnt he?
i have 2 sks's and between them about 3500 rnds. have gone downrange without a hitch. no jams/stovepipes/duds.
i dont even clean them as much as i should.
i have never had any kind of problem period.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the welcome. This is eventually going to become one sweet rifle, but first things first, it needs a GOOD cleaning. Ordered a full cleaning kit yesterday and this weekend it gets a good 'scrubbing'. Gotta find some solvent and patches though. For now, cleaning first, mods later.

A quick question. What would be the best cleaning solvent and oil I could use on my 56?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Tex. Yesterday was interesting but not amusing. I decided to call around to several gunsmiths to see who might work on my 56. Interesting responses to say the least, out of the 7 gunsmiths I contacted, NONE would even consider working on an SKS! Not one.
So, if I needed a repair, modification or even simple parts, there is not a single shop willing to assist. Nice.
It would seem that my options are as follows: Order all parts by mail, only seek advice from this forum because the 'locals' don't have any, invest in my own tools and hope for the best when repairing or modifying my SKS.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well the good news is you will save a fortune on gunsmithing fees. The sks is extremely easy to work on and parts are cheap. If you have any questions someone on here will be able to help you and good luck with your new piece!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts