Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The smaller cylinder is a LR only cylinder isn't it? A short would be too much cylinder travel or are there other reasons?

This gun was made in 84 but in pristine condition and was probably hardly ever shot. Does the trigger on this gun get better with use or have you found that most need trigger work? Mine seems heavy.

One last question: What kind of troubles do guys get into, honing their triggers with no training? I have no intention of messing with it at this point.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Your correct about the smaller cylinder being for LR and the bigger is for 22 mag.
I wish I had never traded mine off !!! D.A
A.H

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,353 Posts
You can shoot .22 Short in the .22LR cylinder if you find some. Accuracy won't be as good, due to the lighter bullet. .22 Short needs different rifling to be truly accurate - but they can be fun!

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you live near a Bass Pro Shop, they have 22 short. In fact was at the one near Charlotte yesterday and they had high velocity and standard velocity shorts. Also had round ball shorts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
One last question: What kind of troubles do guys get into, honing their triggers with no training? I have no intention of messing with it at this point.
Well the other parts of your question have been answered . As to honing your trigger /sear engagement , if ya don't know what your doing best not to do it.. Your talking minor amounts of metal removed meaning replacement parts if do incorrectly..:)--JMJ--

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the other parts of your question have been answered . As to honing your trigger /sear engagement , if ya don't know what your doing best not to do it.. Your talking minor amounts of metal removed meaning replacement parts if do incorrectly..:)--JMJ--
Thanks Moss

·
Registered
223 Posts
have you considered .22LR sub sonic, Agulia, CCI and Remington have them. if your shooting targets you can hear the paper break. check out "22ammo.com"

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
have you considered .22LR sub sonic, Agulia, CCI and Remington have them. if your shooting targets you can hear the paper break. check out "22ammo.com"
Not too long ago I stocked up on probably 20 different brands and types of 22 ammo. I do like that sub sonic for quiet shooting. I even bought some CCI CB. Not sure what a CB is but it's some kind of short.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Your pistol's trigger could stand a little honing by a competent 'Smith. It really smoothed, and lightend up mine.

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your pistol's trigger could stand a little honing by a competent 'Smith. It really smoothed, and lightend up mine.
Swede I was wondering if on that trigger job the smith did the poor man's way and disconnected one spring along with the honing?

·
Registered
340 Posts
The Ruger Single Six has a TOTALLY different trigger sear set up than the old Colt Type. Lightening the trigger pull is a different operation (involving springs) rather than just "honing" the notches on the cam. My advise would be to have a gunsmith do it.
The best way to tell the "standard" .22LR cylinder from the Mag Cylinder is that the LR is fluted and the Mag is smooth.
You can fire any standard .22 ammo (Shorts/Long/Long Rifle) in the fluted cylinder. The only problem you will incounter is in scouring inside the cylinder. Scouring is burnt powder build up at the point where the case meets the bullet. W/a shorter round, you'll have scouring further rear in the cylinder. Which can cause problems loading londer rounds such as the LR.
Cleaning is the key. Scouring can be removed. But it's harder and takes more effort than just your "usual" cleaning. IMO best to just to decide what rounds (shorts vs. LR) you want to use and stick w/it. I'd advise the LR for economy & best accuracy.
Also the convertible Single Six is bored for the slightly larger diameter Magmum bullet. So it will be most accurate w/the mag ammo. BUt I've owned several NM Single Sixes and found all to be quite accurate w/LR rounds as well.
IMO the Ruger New Model Single Six is one of the funnest guns ever made. ENJOY!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts